I am looking to purchase a 7 string when my gear sells on CL, I am wanting to play some metal, and a higher gain version of rockabilly/pshycobilly, but on a 7 string, using models that are on the more budget end allowing some head room to modify, what do you all recomened as a starter 7 string?
Used Ibanez RG7321.

They can be had for fairly cheap on the used market.

Also this: http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/20439/Guitars/Electric/Jackson_Guitars/JS32-7Q_Dinky_Electric_Guitar_-_Natural.htm

I played on one for a good 45 minutes last Friday, and I was blown away. The pickups will do just fine until you feel you need to replace them, they're by no means utter shit, but there's room for improvement. I didn't find them too muddy, the neck is nice, not super thin but not a baseball bat. It was also very comfortable to play in general, couldn't find any flaws, and was a solid guitar, check one out if you can.
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Quote by Charvel1995
Used Ibanez RG7321.

They can be had for fairly cheap on the used market.

Also this: http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/20439/Guitars/Electric/Jackson_Guitars/JS32-7Q_Dinky_Electric_Guitar_-_Natural.htm

I played on one for a good 45 minutes last Friday, and I was blown away. The pickups will do just fine until you feel you need to replace them, they're by no means utter shit, but there's room for improvement. I didn't find them too muddy, the neck is nice, not super thin but not a baseball bat. It was also very comfortable to play in general, couldn't find any flaws, and was a solid guitar,check one out if you can.

I have found a Ibanez RG7321 with hard case for about 160, and the Jackson is about double my budget before the transfer rate from canadian to american dollars.
I'm not sure what the used market in your area is like, so I' not sure what that would normally go for.,

I'd jump on it if it were me though.

$150 - 200 won't ge tyou much in the way of used 7's unfortunately, except for the super cheap ones.
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

If you're on such a low budged, the rg 7321 is your best choice.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I've played the Jackson JS32-7Q and it's a very comfortable guitar. for your budget, I'd suggest the JS22-7. It's basically the same guitar but without a quilt top or compound radius for $200. The Jackson has a thicker neck than Ibanez too. so if the RG7321 neck feels smallin your hands, there's a thought.

But the RG7321 for 160 with case sounds like a killer deal
Dude, totally bypass the rg7321. They are good platforms for modding, but a solid 7/10 of them I have played have had serious fret issues. Get the newly reissued rg7421 instead! A far better guitar for just barely more than a 7321.
Quote by BenEllerGuitars
Dude, totally bypass the rg7321. They are good platforms for modding, but a solid 7/10 of them I have played have had serious fret issues. Get the newly reissued rg7421 instead! A far better guitar for just barely more than a 7321.

Thats even more expensive than the jackson that was twice my budget.
Quote by BenEllerGuitars

I found that a lot of low end ibanez have fret issues. I still have yet to an art series that plays better than any of the gio series.

@TS- you need to give us a real idea of what your budget is and where you are located, we are not psychic.
Quote by BenEllerGuitars

Since he wants to mod it would make more sense to grab the 7321. At least in my eyes.

Fret issues is a very broad statement, that could mean minimal buzz to high frets or dead frets. What were the issues.

If he really had issues with the frets he could replace them with SS ones.
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...