So pit, I have pretty bad eczema on my hands. It's caused by the sanitizer that I have to handle at work (I'm a busser at a restaurant), so there's really no way around my coming into contact with it. Over the past couple of days it has gotten pretty painful. Last night it hurt so badly that it woke me up at 4 a.m. I've tried several eczema cream/lotions/what have you, and I've bought some cotton gloves so I can put petroleum jelly on my hands while I sleep. So far, nothing has worked. Does anyone have a miracle cure that might help me out?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Doesn't your employer have to provide a healthy work environment for you as an employee? Ask them for new sanitizer go to a doctor for your eczema.
Quote by Extra Ordinary
Doesn't your employer have to provide a healthy work environment for you as an employee? Ask them for new sanitizer go to a doctor for your eczema.

This. You can even get a doctor's note saying that the sanitizer makes your skin break out, proving that they're obligated to get a new sanitizer.
Quote by Extra Ordinary

Any sanitizer will affect it because they are all alcohol based and alcohol is a desiccant.

OP, go to a dermatologist and ask for the strongest steroid cream they are comfortable prescribing you, maybe even some Prednisone if you think it is that bad. If you use that for about a week, your symptoms should become way more manageable, and then you can just keep it clean and well moisturized. You probably won't want to use ointments on your hands because they are oil based, so just find the lightest, simplest moisturizing cream from any drug store and use that. I have a tub from CVS that I've been using for a while and it works great.
Huh, I guess I have that also since my hands were killing me. I wash a lot of dishes and even the soap with Olay in it doesnt help. I used this cream called nystatin on the top of hands cause my doctor prescribed it and it worked. So yeah go see your doctor.
STಠ_ಠ
I do wear gloves, but it's super busy all the time, so a glove will break or some such, and I don't have time to put on a new pair. And yeah, I'd consider a doctor's note, but this isn't the only sanitizer that has affected my hands like this. Plus, they'd likely do nothing. They don't even provide any of the employees with their legally mandated rest periods.
Quote by TheChaz
I do wear gloves, but it's super busy all the time, so a glove will break or some such, and I don't have time to put on a new pair. And yeah, I'd consider a doctor's note, but this isn't the only sanitizer that has affected my hands like this. Plus, they'd likely do nothing. They don't even provide any of the employees with their legally mandated rest periods.

Then...get the doctor to at least give you something to deal with your eczema.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Any sanitizer will affect it because they are all alcohol based and alcohol is a desiccant.

OP, go to a dermatologist and ask for the strongest steroid cream they are comfortable prescribing you, maybe even some Prednisone if you think it is that bad. If you use that for about a week, your symptoms should become way more manageable, and then you can just keep it clean and well moisturized. You probably won't want to use ointments on your hands because they are oil based, so just find the lightest, simplest moisturizing cream from any drug store and use that. I have a tub from CVS that I've been using for a while and it works great.

Quote by Andrea55
Huh, I guess I have that also since my hands were killing me. I wash a lot of dishes and even the soap with Olay in it doesnt help. I used this cream called nystatin on the top of hands cause my doctor prescribed it and it worked. So yeah go see your doctor.

Thanks for the tips. I can't go to a doctor because I have no insurance, so I'd be out hundreds for the visit+medication. Dirge, do you know the name of the stuff you got from CVS?
My eczema's grim right now

Steroid cream is what you need.
I have eczema, too, and coconut oil works a lot better than what I was prescribed.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
I've noticed that after using one cream alone for a long time, it stops being as effective, particularly with stopping the itching. I get better results using several creams. There's a nice one called Simple Derma, Oilatum have a decent one, Dermol etc. When using creams, use a fairly thin layer. If you use too much cream, you'll end up getting a load of dust stuck in it which will irritate your skin more.
Also vaseline (petroleum jelly) is good, especially with really exposed bits.
You'll probably need a prescription for steroid creams, but they're helpful too (mostly for getting rid of redness). Don't use them too much, follow the instructions they come with.
Gloves make my eczema significantly worse, but I've heard that other people use them to stop themselves scratching in their sleep.

The best advice I can give you is do not fuçk with it. The more you touch it, the worse it will get. The hand soap stuff really wrecks your skin if you use it a lot too. But if you wash it off well and dry your hands properly you should be able to avoid severe eczema.
Last edited by captainsnazz at Aug 5, 2013,
Quote by TheChaz

Then you need to fight for your rights, man. That or find a better employer.
That sucks.

I have it on my shoulder/outside upper arm, I think it's caused by my clothing touching that area for a long time. It was manageable at first but it's gotten worse recently. I don't know if this will help but you might want to try bag balm since it's fairly cheap and you can use it for other stuff too, not just eczema. If I use it every day my skin looks normal and almost feels normal and it's not itchy at all.

http://www.amazon.com/pet-supplies/dp/B0014CI4X8

I hope your eczema goes away
cat
Cortizone, it works miracles.
But I won't let you sit by
So call in the kids
Alone, you can't make amends
Now I won't let you sit by
But so call in the kids
Now that's enough with this f*cking incense
----------------------------------------------

Interpol - Mammoth
Peel off your skin and replace it with cells cultivated from beef jerky.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by Extra Ordinary
Then you need to fight for your rights, man. That or find a better employer.

Agreed. I'm going to ask why we aren't allowed our rest periods, and if my manager doesn't do something about it, I'm going to call the labor board. CA state law says that 1 ten minute rest period must be given after 3.5 hours, a second after 6 hours, a third after 10, and so on. No one takes any. The employer owes, by law, 1 hour of pay for every shift where they fail to provide a rest period, and that isn't being paid out. Technically, just the location that I work at alone most likely owes in the hundreds of thousands to its employees. We typically will have 60 people working every day, none of whom are afforded their rest periods. Assuming minimum wage for everybody, that comes out to 175000 a year that the company owes.

Quote by guitarxo
That sucks.

I have it on my shoulder/outside upper arm, I think it's caused by my clothing touching that area for a long time. It was manageable at first but it's gotten worse recently. I don't know if this will help but you might want to try bag balm since it's fairly cheap and you can use it for other stuff too, not just eczema. If I use it every day my skin looks normal and almost feels normal and it's not itchy at all.

http://www.amazon.com/pet-supplies/dp/B0014CI4X8

I hope your eczema goes away

Cow udder ointment? ermm.... really? I guess I'll try it if the stuff brad suggested doesn't work.
Quote by Lptubeking
Cortizone, it works miracles.

I have a hydrocortisone cream, and while it provides relief, it doesn't do anything to clear the condition.
Last edited by TheChaz at Aug 5, 2013,
Dude

Hydrocortizone 1% cream

Works every single time for me and its about 3-5 bucks a tube at any grocery store/pharmacy/dollar store/ what have you.

EDIT: What percentage hydrocortizone? I had some that was .5% and it didnt do much, but the 1% works miracles.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Last edited by c3powil at Aug 6, 2013,
Quote by TheChaz

Cow udder ointment? ermm.... really? I guess I'll try it if the stuff brad suggested doesn't work.

it was originally made for cow udders but lots of people use it for (human) skin problems, I was actually recommended it by a pharmacist haha
cat
TS, I had eczema on my hands that resulted from something or another. I got this thing from a dermatologist called clobetasol propionate ointment (it's a corticosteroid) that I rub all over my hands at night and then wear cotton gloves to sleep, and after a while my hands greatly improved.

I'm never consistent though, so whenever my hands are almost cured I forget to use the ointment and it may come back.

My hands are pretty smooth right now though, that stuff works really well.
Quote by TheChaz
It's 1%

Sorry bud. Best advice I can give is to make sure you keep applying it. One application will help the burn and itch, but it takes 2-3 days to go away completely. Once it goes away you still have to apply the ointment every day for a loooong time. I used to have eczema as a kid all down the side of my torso and under my arms and it sucked. Didnt go away until I kept applying the ointment every day for maybe a few months.

But I guess working with that sanitizer stuff isn't helping either. If your boss won't change it I would look for another job. Easier said than done, I know, but eczema sucks too bad to keep dealing with it like that IMO.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by TheChaz
Just ordered some. At this point I'm just pretty much a cream collecter (huehuehuehue)

Kewl. Ever since I used that cream for a week or two my hands have been good as new. It's magical.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by babysmasher
friggen bring a soap that you normally use to work.. Problem solved.. Why is this so hard?

Reading. Why is this so hard?
Quote by Dirge Humani

This. I have fairly bad eczema on my arms and the Clobetasol Proprionate lotion I got from my doctor + a good colloidal oatmeal based moisturizer (I like the Eucerin stuff) can almost entirely get rid of it. In fact it has in the past gotten rid of it entirely, but it springs back up sometimes.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 6, 2013,
Quote by oneblackened
This. I have fairly bad eczema on my arms and the Clobetasol Proprionate lotion I got from my doctor + a good colloidal oatmeal based moisturizer (I like the Eucerin stuff) can almost entirely get rid of it.

The colloidal oatmeal lotion I have worked great for the mild eczema on my arms, but does nothing for the more severe stuff on my hands. A couple of years ago when I had a really bad outbreak, I got some steroid cream from a dermatologist, but now that I don't have insurance, that's not an option :/
That's unfortunate
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I had bad eczima up until I was about 14 from my hockey gear, but I just kept trying different steroid creams until one would atleast soothe the pain and lessen the intensity of it. Thankfully I grew out of it, and I think that's the only real miracle there is to completely remove it.

edit: just seen that you've had those but don't have insurance anymore, so I wish the best of luck
Last edited by Jmoarguitar at Aug 6, 2013,
Quote by progdude93

He's wearing sunglasses over his eyes and on top of his head.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA