Hi, I'm new to this message board, so bear with me.

Primary reason I registered was because I recently ordered an Ibanez RG421 MOL, manufactured in Indonesia (needed a relatively cheap guitar to take with me to college in a few weeks), and I am finding an astonishing lack of discussion of this particular model online. Everyone seems to talk about the RG321 and the Japanese-made RG421 on various sites, but all I find when I do a Google search for this model is online stores that are selling it (funny... there are plenty of sellers, yet no buyers?). Can anyone explain this?
It's a nice starter guitar but definitely not the best Ibanez have made. Upgrade it a bit and it'll be nice though.
Seems like a nice guitar to me. Solid mahogany body, 3pc maple neck, the stock Infinity pickups are quite nice actually. They certainly are no Dimarzio's or Duncans, but they do the job. Only thing I don't like about it is the bridge, it looks so flimsy. Maybe upgrade it to a Gibraltar bridge or smth.
Also, this particular model isn't even out yet. It's available for pre-orders, so that's why there's no discussion on it yet.
Quote by visualidiot
It's a nice starter guitar but definitely not the best Ibanez have made. Upgrade it a bit and it'll be nice though.

Yeah, I'm not really out to find "the best." My issue was that I just got a brand new Schecter C-1 Custom about a month ago, and I didn't particularly want to take it with me when I move into a dorm on campus (I feel like I'd be risking having it damaged or stolen), and my only other guitar is a Squier Affinity strat... So I pretty much just needed something good enough to take to lessons and to practice on.

Quote by saberrocks
Also, this particular model isn't even out yet. It's available for pre-orders, so that's why there's no discussion on it yet.

Then I would sure like to know how it is that all of the major websites and stores are selling them... Lol. Mine has already shipped and is set to arrive at my house by Thursday evening.
Your RG421 is one of Ibanez's low-end models; better than entry-level but definitely designed to be affordable. The "MOL" should stand for "Mahogany Oil Finish." They are good, serviceable guitars. They will not become sought-after collectors' items, but who cares? it should serve you well. Play the hell out of it!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Because it's basically the exact same guitar as the RG321. There's nothing special about it that would warrant discussion about it in lieu of the far more popular RG321.

Not to mention that the newer RG321s are pretty much objectively better due to having the Gibralter bridge.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Alright, thanks guys. The guitar arrived last Thursday, and I do think it plays well, but I have a feeling I'll be changing the pickups pretty soon. Might change the bridge as well, if it will help.