I'm thinking of buying a used Kramer Voyager, but I would like to hear some thoughts on the guitar beforehand :-)

Here's the ad: [forbidden link]

And here's the english translation og the info text:
Super cool vintage Kramer 1985 - USA manufactured. The guitar is in near-mint condition, floyd rose, 2x seymour super distortion and 1x Invader pu. Great craftsmanship and infinite sustain. Has been used a few years and then lived a life in a box under my bed. I have to move and have no room for it anymore. One owner - new price was 16,000 kr. ($2800) in 1985.

He is selling it for 5250 kr. ($935). Is this a good price? Is this guitar a lot worth?

Thanks i advance :-)
Quote by Xerophthalmia
I'm thinking of buying a used Kramer Voyager, but I would like to hear some thoughts on the guitar beforehand :-)

Here's the ad: [forbidden link]

And here's the english translation og the info text:
Super cool vintage Kramer 1985 - USA manufactured. The guitar is in near-mint condition, floyd rose, 2x seymour super distortion and 1x Invader pu. Great craftsmanship and infinite sustain. Has been used a few years and then lived a life in a box under my bed. I have to move and have no room for it anymore. One owner - new price was 16,000 kr. ($2800) in 1985.

He is selling it for 5250 kr. ($935). Is this a good price? Is this guitar a lot worth?

Thanks i advance :-)

Guitar prices are pretty subjective but a quick look on Ebay sees 2 Kramer Voyagers, each priced at $800, one with OBO. I wouldn't trust any claim of "near mint" unless you can see and feel the guitar for yourself. I'm much more comfortable with sellers who are honest about the damage. If you really like it you could probably see if he'll accept a more reasonable offer.
Last edited by johnnykbop at Aug 6, 2013,
Those are considerably harder to come by in Europe, so take that into account when you valuate the guitar. Vintagekramer.com will have a lot more information on the guitar, so you can educate yourself.
Okay, thanks. In another forum someone wrote that there's a huge price difference between non-american made Kramer Voyagers and amarican made. Also, I looked it up on youtube and read the comments for a video - they descriped it as a relic as if it was very rare. I figured that it was worth a lot of money.
They aren't as popular as Pacers and Barettas, so that plays into their value. Yes, Voyagers go for quite a bit more than Focus 5000's, but don't pay more than you have to. The really "rare" ones tend to be the Kline guitars, which all had custom graphics painted by Dennis Kline. They are valuable because there are only a handful of each graphic, at most. I love Kramers, but their value isn't what it was a few years ago, so don't let somebody push a run-o-the-mill guitar off on you as something super collectible and expensive. They just don't have that kind of following.
Thanks, that helps a lot. Unfortunately I can't post the link, but if you want to see the ad, search "Kramer Voyager" on the danish used products site: www (dot) dba (dot) dk. I think it's the only one there. It's dark green.
I'd get pics of the bridge posts, as the old screw style have a tendency to lean more than the bushing style. I would also get closeups of the horns to check for chipping, cavity shots to check for an obvious repaint, a pic of the neckplate to see if the serial agrees with its age and to try to guard against getting a parts guitar, shots of the back of the headstock to check for repairs, and shots of the back of the neck to see if it has a scarf joint and to make sure it hasn't slipped. If ALL of that checks out, make an offer below what he's asking. That price, of course, is your call.