Hi everyone, I just wanted to know if this is normal, and if not what the problem could be.
If my Laptop is on charge, a macbook pro, and I am playing my guitar at the same time, if I am looking at tabs and holding the strings and touch my laptop, I get a small shock.
It's not massive, but definitely enough to notice.
Im running a Line 6 spider iv 75 and a ESP Ltd mh1000.
Any help would be appreciated as Im a bit worried to play incase there is a real problem.
Do you get any ground buzzing when this happens? You are probably creating a ground loop...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I've not actually noticed to be honest, and I'm a bit worried to try incase next time its a bigger shock.
Electricity kills you. Electricity can destroy gear and computers. Don't do it until something is done.

Try running on two separate circuits, not outlets in same room, another area.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by conanwarrior
Hi everyone, I just wanted to know if this is normal, and if not what the problem could be.
If my Laptop is on charge, a macbook pro, and I am playing my guitar at the same time, if I am looking at tabs and holding the strings and touch my laptop, I get a small shock.
It's not massive, but definitely enough to notice.
Im running a Line 6 spider iv 75 and a ESP Ltd mh1000.
Any help would be appreciated as Im a bit worried to play incase there is a real problem.

dude, the exact same thing happens to me
It could be static (probably not though. My advice would be to find another connection. It could fry your computer or your hand. If your guitar is plugged into an amp, that might be the problem. You should touch any conductive metal and the laptop plugged in the same outlet and see if you get a shock. That way, you will know if it is the computer or the amp (if you are using one. You might want to call in an electrician at last resort (because they can be expensive).
Gotta ask, are you using a third party charger? I heard a report on the news that a few people have been shocked using third party chargers on Apple products recently (Iphone 5). A woman was killed in China and a guy in the States was in a coma due to this issue.
Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
exactly the same thing happened with my mac and i had a line 6 spider 4 too, i think its just cause ur making a ground loop, i think its a pretty common thing i wouldn't worry about it
Last edited by terrapinturtle at Aug 11, 2013,
I heard a report on the news that a few people have been shocked using third party chargers on Apple products recently (Iphone 5). A woman was killed in China and a guy in the States was in a coma due to this issue.

exactly the same thing happened with my mac and i had a line 6 spider 4 too, i think its just cause ur making a ground loop, i think its a pretty common thing i wouldn't worry about it

Wow. Death or nothing to worry about. Talk about covering the whole spectrum!

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
Last edited by woad_yurt at Aug 12, 2013,
I definitely don't get a shock...that'd freak me out.
I don't have a Line6 amp either, but I do create a ground loop if I touch my macbook while charging it.
I only get some buzz from my amp though, and I can feel what I can describe closest to small "vibrations" while touching the macbook chassi.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
This happened to me loads and loads of times. There is a change in buzz level as well. I'm using the charger that came with my MBP. Hasn't killed me... yet.
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)
No, guitar is connected to line 6 spider, and mac is plugged in to mains when occurs. Never happens if mac is not plugged in(running on battery).
I think the electrics in my house are dodgy anyway, lightbulbs explode all the time and so forth, and the man that built this house was meant to be an electrician.
Im in the UK by the way if that makes a difference.
And yes, I'm using a 3rd party mac charger, too expensive for the original, and when I did have an original charger, I did not have guitar/ amp, so don't know if its that. Its still only a small tingle though, but as its going from my left hand, to right hand touching strings, it worries me a bit as that is the pathway across my heart.
Quote by diabolical
Sounds like a bad ground/isolation somewhere.

Is guitar connected to the Mac?

I am thinking the socket may not be earthed, I think I may buy a tester to find out.
Sounds like the wiring in your house is dodgy enough as it is, regardless of whether a guitar is shocking you. Some older houses in the UK have the ground done in a completely different way to how it is now, so if somebody has messed with the wiring recently they may have accidentally created a loop.

Either way, when you're being shocked from a guitar, don't touch it again until you've had the wiring in the building checked out by a professional. You do need to open the guitar up and check all the ground wires are in the right place and properly connected—no cold solder joints—but most of the time it will be a problem with the wiring in the building.

As someone who has witnessed somebody being shocked into life-threatening convulsions by bad wiring in an old English pub via an electric guitar, I do not recommend you take this lightly. The UK is a mess of mixed-up wiring methods and you need to make sure everything is secure and safe before you mess with anything again.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Sounds like the wiring in your house is dodgy enough as it is, regardless of whether a guitar is shocking you. Some older houses in the UK have the ground done in a completely different way to how it is now, so if somebody has messed with the wiring recently they may have accidentally created a loop.

Either way, when you're being shocked from a guitar, don't touch it again until you've had the wiring in the building checked out by a professional. You do need to open the guitar up and check all the ground wires are in the right place and properly connected—no cold solder joints—but most of the time it will be a problem with the wiring in the building.

As someone who has witnessed somebody being shocked into life-threatening convulsions by bad wiring in an old English pub via an electric guitar, I do not recommend you take this lightly. The UK is a mess of mixed-up wiring methods and you need to make sure everything is secure and safe before you mess with anything again.

Thanks for your reply. Its so strange i've never received a shock unless the mac is connected.
The house is not too old, around 28 years, but i'm sure a few 'shortcuts' were taken by the builder involving wiring. I will get my Grandad to get this checked, as it is not my house, but belongs to him.
ANd sorry to sound like an idiot, but where should my guitar be grounded inside?

EDIT: I also just noticed there are NO earth connections to plumbing in my house.
Last edited by conanwarrior at Mar 24, 2014,
Quote by NakedInTheRain
dude, the exact same thing happens to me

Just noticed your post. Is it a very small, but noticable tingle? Are you using original or 3rd party charger? And are you in the U.K? sorry for the barrage of questions lol.
It's a ground loop, as noted above, and unfortunately it does run the gamut from "nothing to worry about' to 'potentially fatal'.

Taking electrical shocks generally falls under the heading of 'a very bad idea' though, and you really need to find out exactly what's causing it, as the next pieces of equipment plugged in may not be as forgiving. It may be as simple as purchasing a ground loop isolator.

What I REALLY wanted to post was that it's the universe's way of telling you your amp sucks!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I have seen in an old house once where I measured over 100V between the ground pins of two mains sockets in the same room. If you were holding the chassis on something plugged into one and simultaneously grabbed something plugged into the other you would get a jolt. The only reason nobody died was pure dumb luck.
Don't **** around. Get the power in your house checked.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My Mac doesn't have a ground plug unless I run the extension cable.

Is yours a 3 prong or 2 prong? Do you have your extension cable?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
My Mac doesn't have a ground plug unless I run the extension cable.

Is yours a 3 prong or 2 prong? Do you have your extension cable?

All 3 prong here in the U.K. Yeah, I use the extension.
Quote by conanwarrior
HAHHAHAHA I really hope that was a joke, and that man did not really think that would work! Made me smile though .

Yeah that guy does a lot of videos like that. But, seriously. I get a hum in my signal when i touch my Macbook too. IDK what it is. Never a shock though. May want to get that checked.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Yeah, I'm going to get it checked, especially after realising I can not find a earth wire attached to any pipe in the house, which is usual out here.