I currently have a Dimarzio D-Sonic in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck of my Ibanez S520EX, which is a Mahogany guitar. I play a lot of progressive metal and thrash metal music and run it through a Mesa Boogie Mark V and an Eleven Rack processor and on either I noticed that it is very very muddy/muffled sounding. I opened it up and the pots are good and everything is grounded and connected right, so I know its pretty much the D-Sonic in the bridge since I play in Standard and Eb most often and its more suited for some more dropped tuned stuff.

I was going try the Liquifire/Crunch Lab combo or mix it up a little and do the Liquifire/D-Activator (or D-Activator X) combo to get more clarity, but I've never tried Duncans. I can actually get my hands on some locally on my next few days off so I thought I may have an open mind and give them a shot.

Does anyone recommend any sort of Duncan combo over Dimarzio's for the type of music I play?
They both make some great pickups, but some are dogs in the wrong guitar, that's for sure. After years of pickup searching, I think Duncans sound a tad better overall. I can't recommend the D. Distortion enough for metal music in the bridge though. To liven up a muddy neck humbucker I'd definitely try a Stag Mag. I'm extremely happy with this setup in one of my axes. It is the right combination of bright and chunky if that sounds good to you. A coil tap for both is great for cleaner tones too and recommended.
Given your complaint about muddiness, I thought of these:

http://www.railhammer.com/pickups.html

The Chisel can be used in the neck or bridge, the Anvil is probably best in the bridge only.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Muddy? How high up is the bridge pickup? Have you tried lowering it? And what gauge strings are you using? I love the d-activator in my s470 in Eb using .10s.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs