Hey guys.

I just want to start by clarifying that I know very little about guitar maintenance.

So I have an Ibanez S520EX with an ibanez ZR trem. I recently started trying to fix the intonation issue (I think it was set up for standard tuning from the guy I bought it off and I dropped it to drop C.)

All my strings are pretty much fine although, they could use a change, since I bought the guitar second hand over a year ago. (I rarely play it though, as I have an 8 string which I play all time.)

The problem is my high E string. Every time I try to intonate the high E It won't budge an inch (By this I mean that the open E is fine by the 12 fret E is always half way between flat and in tune not matter how much I try and adjust it.) When I tried to detune it it made some sort of sound like the string had snapped and the string had unravelled a bit. (I think the previous owner had set the tension quite high.)

So obviously, I have to change the strings. My only problem is that I do not know what gauge string the guy had put on and when I ask him he didn't know. I know its either 10s or 11s.

Now I think I have a few options:

A) Tomorrow, I can go and buy a set of 11s and 10s and change the strings

B) I have some strings lying around right now, however these are 10's (that are missing the high E) and 12's - Now I could just stick the B of a 10 on or the E of the 12 on, but I don't know if this would be a good idea because it might **** up my guitar due to the tension. I'd rather take this option however, because I am ****ing lazy and I want to save money (I don't have a job.)

C) I ordered some 9s a few days ago and these should arrive soon. I could just stick the high E or B on. But again I'm not sure about the tension.

D) take it to a shop and have them work on it. This is the option I would rather take, however, I don't have a job. The only shops that can do it cheaply are the shops that I have heard some not great things about, and the only shops that are good at setting up guitars are far away, quite expensive (well, I consider them expensive anyway.) and quite busy.

Now its not essential that I work on this guitar, but I'd rather not spend any money because I'm saving for more important stuff.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.
I would advise restringing it first. You should go with thinner guage's 8's or 9's. You might want to check with how the string is sitting on the nut slot/bridge. Another thing you might want to try is raising the action. Your action might be too low. Action is distance between the string and frets. The string might be too close to the frets. As for that noise you might want to see if the string is contacting any sharp edges. It could be how it's binding on the nut slot. Also try tuning the string down and see how well it intonates. Should intonate better from what you described. As said earlier I would restring before anything. Edit I did not say anything about adjusting the neck. The other user is correct about checking the neck angle, I was advising the bridge. Hope I helped. Let us know what happens.
Last edited by Dan477 at Aug 7, 2013,
Quote by Dan477
You should go with thinner guage's 8's or 9's. Also might want to check with how the string is sitting on the nut slot/bridge. Another thing you might want to try is raising the action. Your action might be too low. Action is distance between the string and frets. The string might be too close to the frets. Also for that noise you might want to see if the string is contacting any sharp edges. It could be how it's binding on the nut slot. Also try tuning the string down and see how well it intonates. Should intonate better from what you described.

What? This is all nonsense. Action has nothing to do with intonation.

TS, you can't intonate on a guitar with crappy strings. You need a fresh set to do it.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
No. The bridge affects your intonation, not the neck angle. The effect of the neck angle on intonation is very, very, very small that it's not worth worrying about. You always check neck relief before doing intonation anyway, so any changes that would occur would be adjusted by an intonation change anyway.

You don't adjust the neck to adjust intonation.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"