I just got a Blackstar HT-5R and I'm confused about how to turn it on. I've never had a nice amp before so I'm new to this stuff. I don't want to mess it up.

The manual says:

Always turn on standby at least 30 seconds after the power switch.

It says you should always turn the power switch on before turning on the standby switch.

But I've read other sites and it says the opposite... Can someone with a blackstar amp explain to me what to do? Thanks a lot.
just turn the power on, let the tubes warm up then, flip the standby...standby is basically a mute switch, its good for when you need to stop playing for a minute but don't wanna turn off the amp completely. It also is supposed to help tubes last longer. Just go power--->let sit for a few seconds--->standby-->rock...
Fender MiM Strat
Fender MiM Tele
Gretsch Pro Jet
Blackstar HT40
Vox AC15
This issue can be confusing because different manufacturers use different terminology, and make their switches go different directions.

Looking at a picture of your amp, you probably want to first flip the "Power" to "On", and then after that flip the "Standby" to "On".

You'll know which order to do it in in any case by just seeing what the light does. Both switches away from "On" means the amp is off. Flip "Standby" to "On", and see if the light comes on. If it does, then that's the one you want to flip first. If it doesn't, then the other switch is the one you want to turn on first.

Lastly, don't stress out about it. Not waiting for your amp to warm up in standby isn't going to damage your amp in any way. The only real difference it makes is that your sound won't fade in like it will if you just flip the power on and go. Using your standby can preserve your tube life a little, but at the same time leaving your amp in standby for long periods of time can kill your tube life more quickly. It's two sides to a coin, but neither side is drastic or worth losing hair over.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 6, 2013,
Thank you guys. I got it working now. I'm sorry if I seem really stupid but I've never had a real amp before so this is all new to me.

I figured out I have to turn power on first. So I flipped the power switch, let it sit for a minute ... Then flipped standby.

The thing I don't get is this: Am I supposed to always leave standby on, or flip the switch off and play that way? It makes sound when standby is flipped on.
Standby needs to be "On" while you're playing - otherwise your amp won't make any sound!

General turning off procedure is to do the opposite - flip standby off for a few seconds, then flip the power off.

Again, not necessary, just sort of a habit that most guitarists have. You can flip both switches off at once, it won't hurt your amp. Just possibly your ears (amps tend to "pop" when turned off suddenly. It's normal though, nothing to worry about).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
it means that the amp is "on" then the opposite on that switch says "standby" as it is in standby mode, just when you turn it off, hit standby then power then to vice versa when turning it on too play...don't fret too much about it.

standby (< on : amp is in standby mode and wont make noise

standby (> on : amp is on and will make noise
Fender MiM Strat
Fender MiM Tele
Gretsch Pro Jet
Blackstar HT40
Vox AC15
Alright, thank you all very much. I've been playing it for a few minutes now and I love it. I understand now I think. Thanks for explaining!