I'm not very guitar tech savvy and I'm just looking for something simple.

Just looking for a program that I can record my guitar over backing tracks with, something simple, easy to use and preferably free.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."

~ Kurt Cobain ~
Also, what kind of cable would I need to use to be able to hook up my guitar to my Macbook?

thanks for the responses!
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."

~ Kurt Cobain ~
Audacity is a great free plugin I used it a bunch before I got a copy of FL Studio for a great bargain, not sure why it was run down, maybe the free version blows but I think I have the Developers Edition and it works great seems to run all my VST programs really well. I cant help you much on the MAC hookup however as I am a PC guy but I have heard of some weird ways people have done it with MACs using GarageBand or something like that but for my PC I had to get a proper interface that would take the guitar signal and convert it to a useable signal without the need of an amp, cabs or mics. I use the same interface (ART Tube MP Project Series USB) its really basic cost like $90 and can take any instrument that uses a 1/4 cable or it has one XLR input for a mic or as I mostly use it for...the DI output of my Tubemiester.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
This is probably a better question for the Recordings subforum. Ask there, but I suspect they'll echo what's already been said in the thread
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
You're using a mac? Garageband should already be installed on your computer. This is a software programme that will let you record. (These kinds of programmes are called Digital Audio Workstations or a DAW). Garageband will do exactly what you want. You just need to figure out a way to get your guitar into your computer. An audio interface is usually required. You may be able to plug in directly I don't know???

This thread has been moved to the Recording forum.
Si
Reaper ISN'T free... just an fyi. Using it past it's trail is still illegal... they just don't force the thing to shut down because it doesn't help anyone.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Try Amplitube Free - the standalone version has a nice little 4-track recorder built in so you can record over backing tracks. If you're planning to use virtual amps to get your guitar tone, that's the easiest way of doing it.