I've been playing for about 2 years, but for the last year i have barely played anything at all, but recently i started playing alot again, what really got me going was that i wanted to learn the cemetery gates solo so bad+ most of dimebag's solos.

i know the entire song, but the solo is just so freaking fast, it seems impossible, i know the solution is to just practice practice and practice some more, but i have this feeling that i might be starting with something a bit too hard, any lessons or other songs i should learn to get me on the right track to playing dimebag's stuff?
The Cowboys From Hell solo is a lot easier than is sounds as long as you can get the stretch in it. Really I think if you want to get in to Dimebag's stuff you're better off doing a bit of reading around and seeing how he thinks; there's a tonne of really good lesson and interview material hanging around that lets you get your head around what he does.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Learn the blues and minor scale, crank up the distortion, learn to improvise your own solo over a cemetery gates backing track. See what you can get out of it. It might be rubbish at first but who cares :-)

Then, when you go to learn Dimebag's solo, you'll begin to notice that the patterns he uses will seem more familiar and hopefully more comfortable.
I'm totally blank on the theory part, i know the blues scale and that's about it. any tips on which lesson i should start with to learn the most basic of the basic? minor scale etc. sadly, alot of music theory just seems totally overwhelming to me.
Cheers for the help
If you feeling fustrated ok, move to an easier one but I don't think it is any necessary to practice something easier, 'cause actually there is no such thing. What makes a solo easier is the lower speed and maybe less amount of notes. But then tou can just break the Cemetery solo in parts/licks. Pratice the first part slowly until you can play it perfectly at the original speed, then move to the next part and so on.
Last edited by BananaJoe at Aug 7, 2013,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The Cowboys From Hell solo is a lot easier than is sounds as long as you can get the stretch in it. Really I think if you want to get in to Dimebag's stuff you're better off doing a bit of reading around and seeing how he thinks; there's a tonne of really good lesson and interview material hanging around that lets you get your head around what he does.

i dont know that id call cowboys from hell easier. cemetery gates uses lots of rather simple legato motions. and cowboys from hell gets just as fast while having trickier motions. then again i cant make the stretch from the 12th to the 20th fret on the odd rhythm lines, so i tap that part out.

either way i dont see how anyone playing for 2 years could play either.

work on your legato, and get used to playing 5, 7 notes per beat. hell 9s, 11s, 13s too. also over two beats.

and theres no shame in learning to play it slowly. you can revisit it down the road, and be able to pick it right back up, and see how much better you are at it. ive practiced songs way out of my ability range, and revisited them now and again. when i was finally good enough to play it, i didnt have to worry about having to get used to playing it.
I once hit a man in Dearborn. Michigan. A hit and run. I hit him and just kept on goin. I don't know if he's alive or dead. But I'm sorry. Not a day goes by i don't see his face.
To be honest i don't really know what legato is, care to explain? and how should i practice it
Quote by SupaScoopar
To be honest i don't really know what legato is, care to explain? and how should i practice it

Basically it's playing using just hammer ons & pull offs. I always just practiced it by playing scale patterns up & down only picking each string one time & hammering on the other notes.
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
aah i see! i wasnt aware it was called legato. i guess i'll just have to learn playing legato a hundred times faster than i already do then:p
On a side note, try this for a legato exercise:

--------------------------------------------7-9-10-------------------------------
----------------------------------7-9-10-----------------------------------------
--------------------------6-7-9--------------------------------------------------
------------------6-7-9----------------------------------------------------------
----------5-7-9------------------------------------------------------------------
--5-7-9--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trying running up the scale, picking every first note and hammering on the other two (using three fingers). Then try running down picking every third note per string and pulling off to the other two. Once you get that, you could try doing sets of three i.e. E, A ,D strings, then A, D, G strings and so on.

Not really related to Cemetery Gates, but good for your legato!