I am currently using EMG pickups inmy les paul, but I want better cleans and more of a natural sound from my guitar. I would like to have amazing, smooth cleans but also be able to achieve high(ish) gain tones.

I have been looking at the following pickups so far:

SH-11 custom
JB
Invader
59/custom

They seem to do high gain tones well in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryzie8mham8

How do they compare in real life though? How are they different and how are they similar? Also how does there cleans sound? Which is the most versatile and can achieve crushing metal tones but also clean tones?

My guitar has a mahogany body and a rosewood fret board.

Thankyou
I'd say go for PAF pickups as they bring out the full range of these instruments.
I find Dimarzio better bang for the buck as Seymour Duncan raised their prices quite a bit.

I have PAF Joe in the bridge position in similar guitar and it is fantastic:
http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuckers/paf-joe
You can do DiMarzio PAF Pro in the bridge, or if you want more gain on the neck go for Super Distortion bridge and PAF Joe on neck.

Seymour Duncan JB neck and SH-4 bridge is really popular and you get a price break on that.

If you want more bite in the high end Duncan Invader in the bridge will work well, installed that for a friend and his Les Paul copy got an extra dose of aggression.

I have X2N in another guitar with Mahogany body and that also has an extra kick, don't need overdrive on it to push some of my amps as it is extremely high output. Playing cleans on it is not optimal though but I have maybe about 10% of cleans in a setlist so not a big deal for me.
Last edited by diabolical at Aug 6, 2013,
dont sleep on GFS pickups. i have the crunchy pat, basically the poor mans super distortion and its pretty awesome.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I have a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck and J.B. in the bridge of my Parker PM20 Pro and think they both sound great. Ecspecially the J.B. It sounds amazing.
what amp btw?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
what amp btw?

+1
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Personally I prefer the 59 over the Jazz the neck.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
are you willing to use your neck pickup for cleans and your bridge pickup for high gain?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Personally I prefer the 59 over the Jazz the neck.

+1.

Jb/59 or a custom/59 is what I would go with.
Duncan Custom bridge, '59 neck.

JB in Les Pauls: nah.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz