Hey all!

I'm a guitar noob! I have an Ibanez and use a Fender Mustang II amp. It has a ton of settings and I can't seem to find one that sounds like what I want. A buddy told me I need a pedal to get that crunchy sound. I play songs by Slayer, Carcass etc but my setup sounds nothing even close to their renditions.

I like my amp because I can plugin my iPhone and play along with the drum tracks using the tab pro app which is really nice.

My question is, with this amp, what pedal would I use to get that tasty metal sound?
I used to have a Digitech Hardwire Metal Distortion pedal that was pretty good. I might get flamed for suggesting it, but I really liked the sound of it.

Get on Youtube and look at distortion pedal reviews.
A new amp.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
A new amp.

yeah, that is what I'm thinking too, but until that day I am hoping to find a way to achieve the sound I want.
For the price of a decent distortion pedal, you may be better off selling your mustang + pedal money and buying a 12" speaker peavey vypyr model.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
are you setting it to the correct amp model? modellers are great for beginners, but to get the most out of them you kinda paradoxically have to have some idea about guitar gear (which beginners rarely do). try the marshall jcm800 model ("british 80s", I'm guessing) for slayer and one of the heavier models for carcass etc. ("american 90s" or "metal 2000").

you could also try running the tubescreamer pedal model ("green screamer") alongside those models to boost their distortion.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by DarthV
For the price of a decent distortion pedal, you may be better off selling your mustang + pedal money and buying a 12" speaker peavey vypyr model.

Thanks! I'm kinda leaning that way, it just sucks to get rid of my new amp. I found a Blackstar HT-5 for about $300 and I find nothing but good reviews for them so I think I'll pick up one of their amps.
Quote by Dave_Mc
are you setting it to the correct amp model? modellers are great for beginners, but to get the most out of them you kinda paradoxically have to have some idea about guitar gear (which beginners rarely do). try the marshall jcm800 model ("british 80s", I'm guessing) for slayer and one of the heavier models for carcass etc. ("american 90s" or "metal 2000").

you could also try running the tubescreamer pedal model ("green screamer") alongside those models to boost their distortion.

Thanks! I'm a total guitar noob and really have no clue about gear. I'm gonna go with the Blackstar amp and then worry about a pedal after that I guess. I've tried a few of the settings, but I never find what I want. I'm sure it is possible, but this amp may be too complicated for me. Thanks again for the reply.
If you can't find a decent metal setting on that amp it may well be the amp. Have you tried downloading a patch from the user patch site thing?

I doubt you'll find it any easier EQing an amp and a pedal over an amp that has a million presets to choose from.
I bought a G-DEC 3 30 for $99 and I can't find a decent patch on there for metal. Maybe this is your problem too. Tube amps like Blackface and Tweed are darn near close to the real thing, but the distortion settings are terrible. I haven't messed with my own patches too much, just into jamming jazz bands right now, hence the small 30w instead of my 2x15 cab and power amp, but I just throw my homemade GGG modified hi-gain Marshall Blues Breaker Clone in front of the G-DEC and it gives the amp the vitamins and minerals needed for the fusion parts. I've heard the HT-5 in person and I still think you'll want a pedal to get the sounds you are looking for. The Mustang should be enough to just put the right pedals in front of it. Try a multi-effects pedal like an ME-50 (love it) or similar.

EDIT: Boss DS-2 (I think?), MXR (killer!), Super Badass '78 (well, I want one), iStomp (yeah, well, I've heard some good custom patches, better than the Digitech ones) just to name a few.
Last edited by 1152 at Aug 7, 2013,
I've played with the settings a little more and read up on it. I also added some heavier strings and tuned to D standard. Makes a huge difference in getting a good sound. I think I will still look into other options as far as an amp goes when I purchase a better guitar at the end of the year.
Quote by Dave_Mc

+1

And don't get an HT-5. Get something like a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 or a 6505+. Way better investment, way better sound.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Just learn to use your amp. It's not as complicated as you make it to be. You should at least be able to find a decent tone with your amp. So first try every amp model. See how they sound like. And when you find the model that sounds the closest to the sound you are after, start tweaking. Do you know what different knobs (gain, bass, middle, treble...) do and how they change your sound?

A new amp wouldn't hurt but I would at least first learn to use my gear.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Metal G
I've played with the settings a little more and read up on it. I also added some heavier strings and tuned to D standard. Makes a huge difference in getting a good sound. I think I will still look into other options as far as an amp goes when I purchase a better guitar at the end of the year.

Ahh! There ya go. People will say "tone is in the fingers," which I believe is mostly true. You've already eliminated 70% of your problems. I've heard some absolutely meh, blah even, guitars played by some excellent fingers through some of Guitar Center's finest amps. I've also heard some live blood and guts, played on well-loved pieces of crappy lumber through a Line 6 (yuck), in a totally acoustically incorrect venue... I think you know where I am going with this.

Never stop learning, listen to even the worst advice, and trust your gut.
Don't use a pedal with the mustang. It's a modeller for a reason.

Go to the metal setting, set everything to 12 o'clock and tweak.
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Use the fuse software.

Metal 2000 Amp
Greenbox Pedal

Play with the cab models.
You will never get a real Slayer, Carcass, etc. tone from that amp guitar combo. They use some serious equipment for that. Like, amps that WILL hurt you if you aren't worthy lol. Get sum EMG's and like a Bogner Uberschall or any high-gain stack (no SS) and you wil be in the ballpark. I hate to say it but unfortunately somtimes in order to faithfully recreate certain tones, no matter how good you are with eq tweaking, WILL require one to shell out some serious cash.
I only feel like me when I'm behind my ax...
Distortion pedals aren't going to get as good of a sound as learning how to use your amp. In fact, most of them are actually going to sound quite bad. Distortion pedals don't have the best rep, and the reason is because most of them aren't that great for the money.

Quote by slayer1979
You will never get a real Slayer, Carcass, etc. tone from that amp guitar combo. They use some serious equipment for that. Like, amps that WILL hurt you if you aren't worthy lol. Get sum EMG's and like a Bogner Uberschall or any high-gain stack (no SS) and you wil be in the ballpark. I hate to say it but unfortunately somtimes in order to faithfully recreate certain tones, no matter how good you are with eq tweaking, WILL require one to shell out some serious cash.

Maybe, before TS runs off and spends a few thousand dollars on a new amp, he should learn how to use the amp he has. Learning how to use the amp he has will help him find a good tone on most amps. Besides, he may actually find a tone he likes with his current amp.

Also, not all of bands like that use EMGs. Many do, but other guitar players in those genres prefer high-output passive pickups.