So I have a chance to pick up both of these amps up for 400$ (used of course ) which one is more versitile and better? I play medium size gigs and I play Modern hard rock , I plan on hookup this up to a 412 cab of course but what would u guys recomend ?
Spider Valve, no question. The Alchemist is arguably a "nicer" amp, but if versatility is the game, this isn't even a contest.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Spider Valve, no question. The Alchemist is arguably a "nicer" amp, but if versatility is the game, this isn't even a contest.

Is the spider valve good though ? Like is it better than the regular spider series ? I have the 150 212 combo , like will I knotice a big difference? Will it have enough to cut through the mix ?
Quote by JazzyJaymes
So I have a chance to pick up both of these amps up for 400$ (used of course ) which one is more versitile and better? I play medium size gigs and I play Modern hard rock , I plan on hookup this up to a 412 cab of course but what would u guys recomend ?

You really need to try both. I've had both (heads) and I still have the Alchemist ... so easy to dial and the built-in reverb and delay are quite useful.

I can find something to like in almost any amp and I like to tweak. I just couldn't find something that made me want to play the Spider Valve a lot.

The Alchemist sounds great with the Bogner 412 with V30s X T75s, Diezel 412 with K100s (massive), and a 212 Swamp Thang X Texas Heat.
+1
I agree with Ipon, the Bogner is the better amp.

I owned a SV HD100 for several years and it is a good amp, but not a great amp. I traded it last Nov for a Peavey Windsor Studio (which was not an upgrade, but what do you do )
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'd get the Bogner Alchemist if I were you.

The Spider Valve, while admittedly a lot better than its solid-state brother, has the exact same issue. It does a lot of sounds, but none of them quite right.

What you give up in versatility with the Bogner, you gain in quality.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by patriotplayer90
The Bogner is not very good. What do you mean by Modern Rock, I'm sure there are much better options.

What other option? And I mean like rise against , three days grace, that kind of stuff
Quote by patriotplayer90
The Bogner is not very good. What do you mean by Modern Rock, I'm sure there are much better options.

I have liked the Alchemist's I have played, no not a real Bogner, but not a bad amp in the price range used.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Alchemist is a pretty great amp for the price, but at $400, I'm not sure I'd buy it, just on principal.... I mean... I bought the head for $400 brand new from Musician's Friend when it was discontinued

FWIW, they're both Line 6s, it's just the "Bogner" is an amp I'd actually consider keeping for a long time.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The Alchemist didn't have anywhere near as much usable gain as I thought it would. I don't think it would do those styles without some help from a pedal or two. I also didn't love its overall sound either, which was really disappointing because I've loved all the other Bogner amps I've tried.

I really liked the SV MkII. At $400 for the 100w head I think it's a great choice. It's not the single greatest sounding amp ever but no other amp in that price range can touch it for versatility. If you want just a couple of dirty tones maybe a Jet City, MIG, B-52, Peavey, or Bugera would fit the bill, but for flexibility on the cheap that amp is as good as it gets. So I guess it depends on if you want a lot of decent tones or just a couple good ones.

And both of those amps are designed by Bogner and made by Line 6.
^Really? Mine had plenty of gain, enough to do modern metal. The only thing you'd need a boost for is if you wanted to tighten up the lowend, cause it can get fairly flabby, like the Uberschall

FWIW, the Alchemist is the only Bogner I've played, besides the Shiva and Duende, that I truly enjoyed. It just covered similar ground that other amps I already had at the time could, so I got rid of it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Maybe the one I played had something wrong with it. I couldn't get it past classic rock gain on either channel. Seemed weird for a Bogner product. I'll have to try another one if I get a chance.
Quote by Roc8995
Maybe the one I played had something wrong with it. I couldn't get it past classic rock gain on either channel. Seemed weird for a Bogner product. I'll have to try another one if I get a chance.

That's interesting. Mine definitely had A LOT more gain than just Classic Rock

Though, I guess to be fair, I'm also using my Bernie Rico Jr. which has a DiMarzio D-Activator Xs in the bridge, or my Eclipse II with an EMG 81...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
That might do it. I was using a telecaster

I'll have to try another one with a few guitars, see how different it is.
Quote by MatrixClaw
That's interesting. Mine definitely had A LOT more gain than just Classic Rock

Though, I guess to be fair, I'm also using my Bernie Rico Jr. which has a DiMarzio D-Activator Xs in the bridge, or my Eclipse II with an EMG 81...

Mine bonded well with the 7s and it was acquired when it first came out. I replaced the stock 12AX7s with Tungsols - high Gain of the Chinese tubes with the smoothness of the Mullard.