Hi folks

Atm I got an Epiphone Special 2 e-guitar and I am not really satisfied with it. I bought it because it was cheap and I wanted learn playing guitar asap. So long story short, I want to buy a new e guitar in some months.

I don't look for a specific guitar. Just wanted to ask around first. I would like the guitar to have this raw sound that is often found in garage rock, since this is the style I am aiming to play. I mean that sound which the Jack White JB Hutto did, which is really raw. I am not sure if the cause of it are the pick-ups on the guitar or the amp.

Would be great if you would have some suggestions for this kind of guitars.

Favourite Guitarists: Jack White, Dan Auerbach

tamb
Last edited by tambooorin at Aug 7, 2013,
Those guys pretty much rely on their amps, effects and fingers. Both of them play a bunch of random, cheap, old guitars that aren't made anymore. I'm sure your Epiphone would do just fine if you plugged it into the right amp, but I know you want a new one. Any guitar would be ok for their kind of music. Their tone has a lot to do with the way they can dynamically play. They get that raw aggressive sound by playing aggressively. They also use cranked tube amps. The amp and how you play will be the key to getting their sounds.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Those guys pretty much rely on their amps, effects and fingers. Both of them play a bunch of random, cheap, old guitars that aren't made anymore. I'm sure your Epiphone would do just fine if you plugged it into the right amp, but I know you want a new one. Any guitar would be ok for their kind of music. Their tone has a lot to do with the way they can dynamically play. They get that raw aggressive sound by playing aggressively. They also use cranked tube amps. The amp and how you play will be the key to getting their sounds.

Yes, I also thought of it that way. The epiphone was in a set with an amp and since the sets cost was like 150 euro and the guitar itself was 130 euro, I guess (big guess) the amp has not the required quality.

Could you explain to me what cranced tube amps mean?
Quote by tambooorin
Could you explain to me what cranced tube amps mean?

"cranked" pretty much means you turn the volume up to the level you would use if you were playing on a stage. Also turn the middle up a fair amount.

A tube amp is a tube amp.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Basically they're tube amps with the power cranked up high.

I'm not saying you don't need a new guitar but if you're still playing on the practice amp that came with that set, buy a new amp first. Heck, I'd imagine anything would be better than whatever the store can afford to let go for that price.

You could buy a brand new signature model Gibson Les PAul with an exorbitant price tag, and though the amp that you have now, it would sound exactly the same as the guitar you already have. Whereas if you bought a good amp, nobody would be able to pick out that you were only using a beginner guitar.
Last edited by johnnykbop at Aug 7, 2013,
Yeah I guess I will try that out first. Thanks for the responses. Another question.
The sustain of the e guitar is controlled by the pick ups isn't it?