#1
So, I have a bit of a problem.

My guitar rig is currently situated in the living room. This wouldn't be a problem, if I didn't have my 1 year old cousin over 3 days a week.

You see, he likes playing with anything with dials and buttons on it. As you may by now have realized, my amplifier is a goldmine of those two things.

I'd quite like not having to re-set my amp to my exact settings every time I wanted to play the guitar, so is there anything I can use to "lock up" my amplifier's front panel?

PS. If this is the wrong place for this question, please tell me.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
#2
Remember your settings or take pictures of your settings.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
#3
Just put it in a higher location.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
#4
put a conductive sheet around your amp and hook it up so that if he touches a button on your amp he gets an electric shock.

or you know... move your amp or remember your settings?
#5
1. Tell him no and move him to a different activity.

2. Repeat as necessary.

3. When that doesn't work (and it usually won't, regardless of what the self-styled 'experts' tell you...)

4. Tell him no sternly, slap his hand, move him away. Repeat as necessary but stay consistent. This WILL work, again notwithstanding what you might read elsewhere.


(Anyone that has a problem with my suggestion that he use mild physical punishment as a demotivator is free to go f*ck themselves, I don't want to hear it. I've raised my kids and had what I consider good results, you're free to go and do the same...)
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
#8
Beat him.

Or what Arby said.

Or get a cover for the amp.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
#9
Glue?

Or you can use a marker and mark your settings so you can quickly reset them.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!


Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
#10
Gaffer tape over the front of the panel. Works for Paul Gilbert

EDIT: On second thoughts, probably best to just gaffer tape your cousin to something away from the amp. A lamp post perhaps.
#11
Plug your guitar in and put your volume and gain on max.

Just mind "your own buisiness" (holding your plugged in guitar in your hands a bit further), then when he touches it play a random chord very loud.

That'll scare the little asshole!
#12
I took a picture of the knobs, edited it so it was black and white with a high contrast, and I got a chart with which I could mark my preferred settings on.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
#13
Maybe I should have elaborated. I have already memorized my exact settings, but they're a pain in the bunghole to get right. So I want to prevent it as much as possible.

Another part is that my cousin loves it when I play, but I don't want him touching the volume while I'm playing. God forbid he turn the volume all the way up and makes himself deaf by the age of 1.

I could put my amp on the dinner table, but somehow I'm not sure my family would appreciate that. Other options are out because either he'd be able to reach or the impromptu stand would snap at the mere notion of having an amp placed on it.
Putting it in my bedroom would mean navigating a spiral staircase with a heavy tube amp and a really bad back. No thanks.

So, thus far the only option seems to be gaffer tape.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Aug 7, 2013,
#14
Maybe hire a moving company to come move your amp to your bedroom.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!


Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
#15
Plenty of amps have amp covers that literally cover the amp with a space to just hold the handle. Keeps dust and moisture away from the amp for the main part but I'm sure it'd help to keep babies away from your amp.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
#16
Quote by PsiGuy60

PS. If this is the wrong place for this question, please tell me.


you might get better answers on mumsnet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
#17
You could just buy a case for your amp and keep your amp in it when your cousins around. Tbh though it's nowhere near as annoying as kids that decide to play with the tuning keys and end up snapping a string.
#18
Just mark the settings with a pencil or a thin line of white out, that way you can flip the dials to the right spot in seconds and its removable if you ever wanted
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
#19
i say beat the child to within a quarter inch of it's miserable life, but don't explain why. this will do little for the confused child but it should make you feel better for a small amount of time.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
#21
It's simple, burn the amp. Then explain to your cousin's parent(s) that the knobs can cause the amp to overheat if dialed in incorrectly, and it's your cousin's fault for causing the malfunction. Make them pay for a new one, because what you really need is a new amp.
#22
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Maybe hire a moving company to come move your amp to your bedroom.

pretty much this.
I have a 3 yr old son that will destroy any and everything. All of my amps are put up away from him
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
#23
Quote by Robbgnarly
pretty much this.
I have a 3 yr old son that will destroy any and everything. All of my amps are put up away from him



Dude....

I've had 3 and never moved anything. Teach them from the time they can roll around what is, and is NOT, acceptable to touch and it makes the rest of your time go SO much easier.

I mean it's of course your deal, and far be it from me to tell you how to raise your own kids, I'm just saying it doesn't HAVE to be that way if you don't want it to.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
#24
What you need is a new cousin. Sell the old one to fund the new one.

Or just write down the settings. Its useful habit anyway if you have different sounds for different music.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3