Hey guys. I posted my 8 month old epiphone les Paul custom g400 sg on a local site for cash or trade. Someone replied offering a year old Ibanez S420 in exchange for it. The value new is the same aside from mine having a hard shell case and his not. What do you guys think about this deal ? Anyone have any experience with an S420? I will be upgrading the pups immediately in it. Reason for trading the G400 is because I'm just tired of it.

Thanks guys.
I second the first question then will add, if you're going to change the pickups to obtain a different sound couldn't you do that on the epi?

Depending on your reason for being "tired" of your guitar, there must be something that you don't like about it, such as: fret access, neck, etc.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I'm not specifically looking for a term but wouldn't complain if I had one. (Had a floyd on my EC1000)

The Epi is a triple humbucker guitar. I was going to disconnect the middle and replace the neck and bridge. It's either leave the middle in there or pull it and have a horrendous gap/cutout.

The neck is a little too thick but nothing to sell it over, more or less just the look of it just doesn't really appeal to me anymore, let alone if there's a center pup or not.
My S420 is leaps and bounds better than the G400 I used to have. My G400 suffered from aesthetics falling apart (knob labels falling out) and shitty electronics. Never had any problems like that with any Ibanezes I've dealt with.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Epi g400 is a overpriced pile of caca. I had one for about 2 weeks before I sold it. Since I picked it up cheap I thought I would get it and add a SG to my collection.

IMHO they are not even worth $150....... My 25 year old harmony strat is a better built guitar. Hell a 25 year old Lotus strat is a better player.

The Ibanez on the other hand is a WAY BETTER if every thing works I.E trem screws and lock nuts and the trem posts are not tilted in the wood and the frets are good. You will be getting the better end of the deal for sure.
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
Epi g400 is a overpriced pile of caca. I had one for about 2 weeks before I sold it. Since I picked it up cheap I thought I would get it and add a SG to my collection.

IMHO they are not even worth $150....... My 25 year old harmony strat is a better built guitar. Hell a 25 year old Lotus strat is a better player.

The Ibanez on the other hand is a WAY BETTER if every thing works I.E trem screws and lock nuts and the trem posts are not tilted in the wood and the frets are good. You will be getting the better end of the deal for sure.

Don't base an entire low-end guitar line on 1 guitar, that is ignorant.

It is personal preference, I have a G-400 and I think it is a great guitar for the price. I actually play it more than my PRS live

I have a JS-100 and personally I think they suck, but I know people that swear by them

Like I said don't use blanket statements and opinions to label a whole brand
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I am not basing it on one guitar. I have many guitar shops in my area and I hit at least one a month and try stuff. I never bought one before since I felt they were not worth the price compared to other guitars in the same price range.

I picked it up for $120, it was a beautiful faded cherry , nice trapazoids, Grover tuners, nice frets, overall nice LOOKING but shitty pickups, weak neck set in wrong, cheap bridge. To me they are not worth even that.....and what they ask for them new is a joke, you can buy a better built ltd sg copy for that amount of money.

Ibanez on the other hand is a better at mass producing and keeping the QC very even across the board. And a older Ibanez S is a better guitar by far over any Epiphone.

And the s420 was not a "low end" guitar more mid range.

And even now a new s420 is a better guitar/value than a Epi Sg400 series
What the hell!!!
Last edited by danvwman at Aug 8, 2013,