Hi guys, my first post here after lurking for far too long.
I've been playing for many years but am a total dimwit when it comes to technical stuff. My question is - can I use a Boss RC-3 with a Blackstar Ht-5 combo and overdub a clean backing track with the amp's OD channel? The Blackstar does have an FX loop.

I don't have any other pedals. I was using a Fender Mustang II, which has no FX loop, so I couldn't use that to overdub loops without the clean loop getting distorted. So now I'm planning to get the HT-5, but I need to check that I can record clean and overdriven sounds in the same loop on the RC-3.

I perhaps haven't explained it very well, but hopefully someone will get what I'm on about.

I've searched all over for this and can't find the answer. Everyone has effects chains and distortion pedals. I want to use the Blackstar's distortion rather than a separate pedal.
It should work. I do it all the time with my Laney VC30's loop & the looper of my Zoom G3.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
No worries

I don't know if there are any weird exceptions, but as a rule the effects loop sits after any drive on your amp, so anything fed through that won't have your amp's distortion added to it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I'm still thinking about the Blackstar, but I'll probably go for it - it seems to be one of the only small practice amps with an FX loop... the only reason I'm changing my amp is so I can overdub different sounds using the looper pedal.
Cheers once again for the explanation - much appreciated. Hopefully it will work out as you say; if I have any probs when I get the amp, I'll be posting back here