Hello UG people!

I play on a LTD Horizon H-1001 (locking tuners) with ernie ball strings (012-056). I use drop B as a standard tuning for this guitar, so I usually only go to as high as drop C or as low as drop A#.

My question is, how high can I tune my strings without hurting the neck on my guitar? I'd love to play some Trivium at drop C#.
As long as you set it up correctly, you'll be fine.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
People play in standard with 12s all the time. As mentioned, as long as you set up properly you can definitely play in those tunings.
Quote by Roc8995
People play in standard with 12s all the time. As mentioned, as long as you set up properly you can definitely play in those tunings.

What do you guys mean with set up properly?
Quote by Kvirre

Intonation, Neck relief, action. If these are not right you will have wrong notes all over the fretboard.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Kvirre

There's a truss rod in the neck of your guitar that helps offset tension. It basically pulls the neck away from where the tension is so it doesn't warp. If you get your strings you can always pay a tech to do a setup. It's isn't difficult but it takes a little patience sometimes.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Well; Alex Lifeson of Rush tuned one of his Partscasters up to F# or G to record The Big Money (on the Power Windows album), so as others have said, as long as you set the neck up properly, you can go at least that far up.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I've used 13's in D, so 12's in C# should be perfectly fine. Hell, SRV played D# with 13's IIRC.

Bear in mind that your strings will feel much stiffer, and you might have difficulty in bending. Not everyone's SRV you know.
12-56 is considered a Medium set by some brands on acoustic string sets. So I'd definitely say you could reach standard tuning.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I played E standard with not even slinkies (same set you're using I believe)
Strings lasted forever. Hard to bend, but it's playable and fine.
You'll probably get some buzz if you don't actually set up the guitar for Drop C#, but nothing serious will come of it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X