Page 1 of 2
England to be specific. I've never owned a car, and I only passed just over a year ago. I know it depends on the car, but I just need something small engine size really.

Any help would be much appreciated. Ta!
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
The cheapest you'll get is with a very cheap used car.

But the premiums will kill you. Its very possible to find a premium that's 3 times the original price of the car. Per year.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Ask in the car thread.

To make it affordable (under £60 per month) you will most likely be looking at a 1-1.3l engine car and will have to do a high excess and third party fire and theft coverage.
Do you have a car yet? Know what kind of car you want?

Run some comparison site checks (confused, money supermarket etc) to get a rough idea for what you'll be looking at
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
No car insurance is the cheapest car insurance.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
You'll have to get a very small engine, think 1 litre and an old, cheap car. When I first passed I had 1.4 golf and the cheapest I was quoted was £4000. When I was 20 though on the same car I managed to get insurance for £730 which is pretty damn good considering, that was through endsleigh (Im not sure if they are only for students though - and I don't know if you're a student or not). Up until then I went on a fleet insurance on my mums company, if you know someone who can get you onto one of those it should cost you about £800.
Good luck!
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Alongside what has been said, having a named driver pushed my price down.

At least until my mums car got hit in an accident which added 80 quid onto my premium.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
There isn't a cheap policy for a 21 year old. Check out comparison sites and you can reduce your premium by adding a parent to your policy as a named driver.

The only other thing you can do it get a small engine, non-sport model car. Something which is often not driven by younger drivers may also have a lower risk group which will reduce premiums, but basically, you're unlikely to get anything less at £800. My last policy on a 1.6 was £600. I was 23 and had my license for 5 years when I took the policy out, although hadn't been building no claims.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
jesus Christ, 1L and 1.5L cars are that common in UK? I feel like the average here in the states is like 2.5L at least. My car is 1.8L and that's considered to be very small.
pinga
1-1.4l is about average for first cars. Most people will probably not own more than a 2.0/2.5l. Fuel is so expensive here we rely on the fact that European/Japanese cars typically get a more power for their engine size than their US counterparts.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
take public transport cos there is no cheap insurance for a 21 year old.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by Cb4rabid
jesus Christ, 1L and 1.5L cars are that common in UK? I feel like the average here in the states is like 2.5L at least. My car is 1.8L and that's considered to be very small.

Weren't you then one who started the thread that you feel poor and you have a car? wat
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
Quote by Axeaman
Weren't you then one who started the thread that you feel poor and you have a car? wat

"I'm so poor sat here on my laptop with my internet in my golden house with my rocket car outside"

The man needs sympathy, have a heart!
Quote by GLP_Arclite

unless you live somewhere rural where only a couple buses come through during the day, I don't know why you'd get a car when you could just use public transport.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
unless you live somewhere rural where only a couple buses come through during the day, I don't know why you'd get a car when you could just use public transport.

I'm only about 2 miles from the city boundary, so not even that rural, and we get godawful bus service. Last bus is only about 6:30pm, it's ridiculous.
Quote by JAHellraiser

For the convenience? For the ability to load up my grocery shopping/furniture packs etc?
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by Deliriumbassist
To race in a Maccy's car park?

Pfft, like anyone races in a Maccy's car park.

That's where you do doughnuts and sweet skids m8.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
Pfft, like anyone races in a Maccy's car park.

That's where you do doughnuts and sweet skids m8.

I dunno, one of my local ones has a pretty big car park, with a load of dividers and rails amd planters haphazardly distributed throughout. Someone should organise a Le Macs 24 hours in it.
Quote by Cb4rabid

Petrol is too expensive here to drive gas guzzlers. Petrol is about £1.35 per litre - that works out at an equivalent of $8 per gallon. You guys have a bitch fit when your petrol prices hit half that.

Plus the majority of people in the UK believe in science and try to be "green" to try and slow global warming.
Quote by Cb4rabid

There's no need for bigger engined cars.
To put this in perspective my car is 998cc and i'm 23 - Car insurance = £530.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
I'm 21 I just renewed my car insurance.

£850

And that's the cheapest it's been so far.

Get a push bike.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
I'm 19 and budgeting £3,000 for my first year of insurance.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by JAHellraiser

I live in a so called commuter town, 15 miles from the office. If I use public transport it takes 2 hours each way. Driving, about 25 minutes.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
>Cheap Car Insurance.

"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
oh yeah I forgot poor people cant have cars

give me a ****ing break, like I drive a Benz or something
pinga
Cheap car insurance? 21 years old? UK?

Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I drive a 1.2L and have 4 years no claims and I pay about £400.

So yeah unless you have a good job get pedalling.

I know people paying £2000+ because they think they need a nice car.

Your best bet is getting the smallest engine you can and maybe consider doing the pass + driving course as it knocks money off with some companies.
Last edited by Greenie_777 at Aug 26, 2013,
Public Transport.

If you ask for cheap car insurance for a 21 year old, you're going to be laughed at.
Quote by Greenie_777

consider doing the pass + driving course as it knocks money off with some companies.

+1

Getting a Pass+ certificate is a very good idea. It's easy as piss to get and it lowers your premiums- sometimes significantly. I did mine 2 years ago.
Quote by Cb4rabid

As mistress ibanez explained, cars with big engines are far too expensive to run here. The government murders your premiums with a big engine, for the excessive emissions they produce as well.

It also makes no sense to get a big engine when small modern engines are just as strong as the larger ones of yesteryear. And more reliable.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 26, 2013,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Public Transport.

If you ask for cheap car insurance for a 21 year old, you're going to be laughed at.

+1

Getting a Pass+ certificate is a very good idea. It's easy as piss to get and it lowers your premiums- sometimes significantly. I did mine 2 years ago.

As mistress ibanez explained, cars with big engines are far too expensive to run here. The government murders your premiums with a big engine, for the excessive emissions they produce as well.

It also makes no sense to get a big engine when small modern engines are as strong as the larger ones of yesteryear. And more reliable.

Yeah I did the Pass+ about a year ago. Do I just mention this on the phone then or what? Sorry for being such a noob
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
Quote by stef123
Yeah I did the Pass+ about a year ago. Do I just mention this on the phone then or what? Sorry for being such a noob

Yes. Do make a mention of it. If you're getting a quote online, make sure you select that you have that certificate when selecting what kind of license you have.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Page 1 of 2