I'd like to tune my banjo lower so I can sing more easily, I never use alternate tunings on guitar or anything though because I feel like my strings will break easier if I'm always retuning, is this the case? I googled before I came here.
sunbather is shit
I really don't think so, only way I think they'd break easier is if you were to tune them higher
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
use a capo
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Strings are one use only. If you detune them they're no good.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Strings are so outdated. Guitar-based MIDI controllers are the future.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
as for your question, if you have brand new strings it shouldnt be a problem. if theyre old and rusty thems gon break. id be more concerned about the neck derping
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Tuning isn't the issue. The issue, as Burgery so elegantly put it, is the neck "derping" (aka bending out of its proper shape). I assume banjos have a truss rod (or something similar). So, either you'll need to adjust that, or you'll need to get heavier strings to match the current tension the strings are putting on the neck. If you don't really feel confident in doing any of this, then I'd advise you to take your banjo to a professional.
Quote by beefcake122
I'd like to tune my banjo lower so I can sing more easily, I never use alternate tunings on guitar or anything though because I feel like my strings will break easier if I'm always retuning, is this the case? I googled before I came here.

If they're not too old and you set it up properly, then all should be fine. I must ask, however, do you plan on just tuning it down and up many times in short periods of time(like every so often in a week)? Doing that will wear the strings out faster and could cause problems to the instrument's neck. What tunings are you wanting to use, as well?
Quote by beefcake122

Yes, they will, if you do it 10 million times:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatigue_%28material%29
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Yeah that's what I'm worried about, I play a lot and there's only a few songs I'd like to tune down for. Two of the strings I retune several times a day so I always worry about that.
sunbather is shit
I used to tune my acoustic up and down all the time.
Never had any trouble with the neck, but a couple of the strings did break upon tuning at various times.

On the other hand, I suppose it could have been the fact that my acoustic is a piece of shit.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Changing the tuning often will slightly affect the life of the strings.
That being said from my personal experience the only tuning changes I do is going to drop D from standard and my E string is never the first to break.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by beefcake122
Yeah that's what I'm worried about, I play a lot and there's only a few songs I'd like to tune down for. Two of the strings I retune several times a day so I always worry about that.

You could warp the neck retuning all the time like that...
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
You could warp the neck retuning all the time like that...

well I don't want to buy two more banjos for each tuning
sunbather is shit
Such small changes in string tension alone won't irreversibly warp the neck. You'll be fine dude.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by beefcake122
well I don't want to buy two more banjos for each tuning

Quote by damian_91
Such small changes in string tension alone won't irreversibly warp the neck. You'll be fine dude.

That depends how varied the tunings are. In guitar terms, tuning from E standard to Drop D (and visa versa) all the time won't warp your guitar neck. But tuning from E standard to C standard all the time probably will. So, if you're just making small tuning adjustments, you're fine. Big adjustments are where you'll run into issues.
alright, biggest changes I'm doing are a full step, so I should be good then
sunbather is shit
Quote by beefcake122
alright, biggest changes I'm doing are a full step, so I should be good then

Yes, but the point more was how many strings you're changing, not just the step-wise changes of said strings. Are you changing all of the strings when you retune, or just 1 or 2?
What key are you trying to sing in? You can play in any key easily enough in Open G.

There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Strings tend to last a lot longer if you don't put them on your guitar, the second you slap them on and start tuning them up their life expectancy goes way down.
I cant imagine loosening them will make them more likely to break. Good luck friend
I won't slave for beggars pay, likewise gold and jewels. But I would slave to learn the way, to sink your ship of fools.
Quote by luvs2gro
I cant imagine loosening them will make them more likely to break. Good luck friend

I always seem to lose strings while tuning down
Intonation would be your main issue. Generally if you've got relatively new strings they'll take whatever you throw at them, but if they're getting on lots of re-tuning will make them harder to keep in tune.