Laney iron heart
13 27%
Peavey 6505+/5150ii
23 48%
Blackstar series one 1006l6
5 10%
Voters: 48.
Page 1 of 2
So i made a thread a little while ago asking what amp to buy since my HT 5 is on the way out...

Ended up doing some more research and finding a few more amps to choose from.

Amps in head form:
Bugera 6262
Laney Ironheart (probs the 60watt head)

Or bite the bullet and spend that bit extra and get either

Peavey 6505+/5150ii
Blackstar Series One 1006l6.

Kinda wanting the parkway drive sound, but i do mess around in other styles of music too (pretty much everything)

Head will be going into a 16ohm Zilla cab with V30's
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
6505+/5150 II or Ironheart. Bugera isn't worth considering at all with the others on the table.

Series Ones have a more vintagey sound to them, more of a British thickness. The Ironheart is more in the vein of the 6505, though it's not an exact copy. Ironhearts cleans are a little better, but I haven't heard enough for them to say which has better crunch.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If you like to mess around with other styles, I'd say the Iron Heart. It's just got a little more versatility over the 6505. Of course, if you just want the Parkway tone, get the 6505. It slays.
Ironheart for versatility, 6262 for drive.

The price difference between the 6262 and the 6505+ doesn't really translate in a lot of sound difference.
I mean the 6505+ sounds better, but not even close to 2/3 times better.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Depending on how much money i can save up depends on the head im gonna get but i think im gonna go for the 6262 or the iron heart. Or both if i can find them both used for an amazing steal aha

plus the built in reverb is nice

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Spambot_2
Ironheart for versatility, 6262 for drive.

The price difference between the 6262 and the 6505+ doesn't really translate in a lot of sound difference.
I mean the 6505+ sounds better, but not even close to 2/3 times better.

The sound difference was never the problem. They sound nearly identical.

Because Behringer is a shit company that copies schematics cap for cap.

But it's half the price somehow. Think about it.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You might be able to find a Laney VH100R for super cheap over there. Definitely consider it. I can nail that stuff with mine. I know I've been saying that on a couple of threads here lately. But it's a solid amp and they sell really cheap used.
Bugera be pinching them pennies.

6505s are so saturated.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Aug 9, 2013,
Nonsense that 6505 sounds 'better' than 6262, different for sure and I know that many prefer the 6262 over the 6505/5150. 5150 III different story, that thing is incredible.

I have a Bugera 333XL and it sounds amazing and is extremely versatile. It's crazy the amount of sounds you can get out of it, low gain bluesy tone to hard rock to 80s thrash just on the crunch channel. Lead channel goes from beyond that to extreme gain. Clean channel is CLEAN. I chose mine over a 6505+ 112 and 6262/6260 though I'm not into 'hardcore' music or anything with the word 'core' in it.
Quote by Badmotorfingers
Nthough I'm not into 'hardcore' music or anything with the word 'core' in it.

Not even industrial-third-floor-story-apartment-with-en-suite-bathroom-core?

But on a serious note i have given the 333XL a look over and it is nice but im still debating the 6262/6505+ story.

ITs the price difference that bothers me the most, ive seen 6262 heads go for like £150 where as 6505's go for like £600...

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
The 333XL is a Peavey JSX clone, if you're interested.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

While I suspicion you're hinting at substandard components I think you underestimate the cost savings of a near-slave labor force...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Offworld92

nah that's not the problem. the reliability is.

I mean I'm not gonna tell someone that they have to pay twice as much because peavey came up with the design- that's their call, not mine. i might tell them they have to because the bugera might set their house on fire.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I used to have a Bugera 333XL and it was a beast. Bit flubby on the low end but tighter with an OD pedal. It didn't break on me nor set my house on fire haha. The footswitch broke though haha.

Out of those amps, I'd say go for the ironheart. Price is bang in the middle so easily affordable, reliable and sounds killer. It's versatile too which is an pro against the 6505+. Don't forget the 'evil' looking red LEDs

However, if its PURELY for Parkway Drive, go for the 6505.
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey
Peavey 6505+ 112 w/ 2x12 (Celestion Vintage 30 and WGS Veteran 30)
[Effects Loop] Boss GE-7 > Boss CE-5 > TC Electronic Flashback
Quote by Dave_Mc
nah that's not the problem. the reliability is.

I mean I'm not gonna tell someone that they have to pay twice as much because peavey came up with the design- that's their call, not mine. i might tell them they have to because the bugera might set their house on fire.

We've all had this argument before. That's just where I stand on the issue. I think copying a schematic and not altering anything about it is a shit move. Apparently a lot of people disagree.

I mean, they didn't even alter the aesthetics or controls for Christ's sake.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
We've all had this argument before. That's just where I stand on the issue. I think copying a schematic and not altering anything about it is a shit move. Apparently a lot of people disagree.

If only it were that easy to make a copy of a Lamborghini Aventador, same aesthetics, feel, layout, etc.
with these type of threads involving bugera and peavey, its not a difference of tone, Its build quality.

It seems that people get caught up i that.

Quality and reliability matters to me, so i would go peavey. That is just me.

Now can get back to bickering.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Offworld92

in an ideal world i'd agree, but it's not an ideal world. I mean the big guys got their start by copying readily existing circuits.

Also if you ask me, being straight up about what you're copying is less dodgy than pretending you've reinvented the wheel only for people to find later it's a clone (or slightly tweaked clone).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Offworld92

I know what you mean but weren't Fender and Marshall initially lifted whole cloth from the RCA tube manual?
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I know what you mean but weren't Fender and Marshall initially lifted whole cloth from the RCA tube manual?

To quote the Radiotron Designer's Handbook, 4th ed.:

" This book has been written as a comprehensive, self-explanatory reference handbook for the benefit of all who have an interest in the design and application of radio receivers or audio amplifiers. "

I would hardly call use of example designs from a book written expressly for the dissemination of such information to be on the same level as the theft of existing patented and copyrighted designs for the sole purpose of making cheap copies. Not to mention that RCA had a vested interest in fostering new thinking and designs using their products.
Last edited by 4FunandProphet at Aug 10, 2013,
are they patented? I know when it comes to effects the odds of patenting a circuit are more or less zero (at least, assuming you're talking about more basic effects like overdrive etc.), and I'm guessing the same is true for amps as well. Furthermore, patents only last so long, and I'm guessing the 5150 would be out of patent even if it were patented.

if they ripped the pcb layout, that's different, as that can be copyrighted/patented.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
are they patented? I know when it comes to effects the odds of patenting a circuit are more or less zero (at least, assuming you're talking about more basic effects like overdrive etc.), and I'm guessing the same is true for amps as well. Furthermore, patents only last so long, and I'm guessing the 5150 would be out of patent even if it were patented.

if they ripped the pcb layout, that's different, as that can be copyrighted/patented.

Not the entire design, per se, but certain technologies used within the amplifier (such as Peavey's harmonic distortion control) can be patented, and the PCB layout, control layout, and other IP can be copyrighted and trademarked. Anybody that's familiar with their products knows that some of them... well, most of them are blatant ripoffs of other designs. The question is, how carefully did they cross their T's and dot their i's when they built those products, so as to skirt ( however narrowly) the legal ramifications of violating patents, copyrights, and trademarks.
hopefully more carefully than they skirted the legal ramifications of the fire code
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
hopefully more carefully than they skirted the legal ramifications of the fire code

Quote by 4FunandProphet
The question is, how carefully did they cross their T's and dot their i's when they built those products, so as to skirt ( however narrowly) the legal ramifications of violating patents, copyrights, and trademarks.

I don't think that's a question at all, given that they are still selling them.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I don't think that's a question at all, given that they are still selling them.

Very true. Of course, with all the money they save on R&D, I'm sure they can afford one hell of a litigation team. I wouldn't doubt that that's their second largest department, right behind marketing .
The 6262 is worth a look, got the combo version and sounds awesome with my RGT42 with EMG 81 and hasn't skipped a beat. I wouldn't let the reliability issues put you off, if it does i'd choose the lion heart.
Quote by Offworld92

I gotta be that guy

Peavey ripped the 5150 off from the Soldano SLO, so................. and they are almost identical aesthetically

Bugeras are cheap with poor QC that is why I don't recommend them. They do sound good while they work. My 333 sounds better than any XXX/3120 I have ever tried, it is just made like crap
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by 4FunandProphet
Very true. Of course, with all the money they save on R&D, I'm sure they can afford one hell of a litigation team. I wouldn't doubt that that's their second largest department, right behind marketing .

i'm guessing their fire fighter department is the biggest

Quote by rickster100
I wouldn't let the reliability issues put you off

why not?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by rickster100
The 6262 is worth a look, got the combo version and sounds awesome with my RGT42 with EMG 81 and hasn't skipped a beat. I wouldn't let the reliability issues put you off, if it does i'd choose the lion heart.

How can we not worry about reliability? Ever had your head go dead on stage ? It has never happened to me and hopefully never will.

poor quality and, substandard gear make things become problems
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Aug 12, 2013,
I've been researching amps lately and thought the Bugera's sound great and I was going to get one. But now I'm starting to lean more on getting the Laney Ironheart 120w head and match it with a Blackstar Cab... Any recommendations on different cabinets or do you guys think the Blackstar will match up nice?
Just gonna weigh in here.

Get a 6505+/5150 II... used. I don't know the used market in the UK very well but here in the US you can get them on craigslist all day for $600-750. They don't hold their value super well. As for reliability, don't worry about it. I've heard of these amps falling out of the back of trucks on the highway and working after the (obviously shattered) tubes were replaced. They're pretty much indestructible!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Blackfire.
I've been researching amps lately and thought the Bugera's sound great and I was going to get one. But now I'm starting to lean more on getting the Laney Ironheart 120w head and match it with a Blackstar Cab... Any recommendations on different cabinets or do you guys think the Blackstar will match up nice?

what country do you live in? that massively affects prices and availability.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what country do you live in? that massively affects prices and availability.

I'm in USA.
^ wut. it's a box with speakers in it.

^^ I hear good things about avatar, whitebox and lopoline on the cheap(ish) but I haven't tried them (I'm not in the USA).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You can get used Mesa recto 4x12 for $400ish at www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear
You can also find 5150/6505's for $600 or less there
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I gotta be that guy

Peavey ripped the 5150 off from the Soldano SLO, so................. and they are almost identical aesthetically

I agree that the 5150 is very reminiscent of the SLO, it was obviously an influence. But put a 5150 and a SLO next to each other, it's also obvious that they are different amps.

In a blind test, you can't really tell a 6260 apart from a 5150 sonically. Not the same thing IMO.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I say 6262. I've got one and have had absolutely no issues with it. For the money, it's worth it (in my opinion) and should be seriously considered. Mind you, mine doesn't move much, as I don't really gig with it, but it is played quite often (and not just at bedroom levels), and I also record with it. Wish I could gig with it, but I need a band first
Gear

EVH Wolfgang Special
Schecter Omen 7
Sterling JP70
Fender Newporter Acoustic
Bugera 6262
Peavey XXX 4x12
Dunlop Cry-Baby Wah
Page 1 of 2