I've always used a power supply linking all of my pedals with a daisy chain (lord knows I've been through shit tons of daisy chains... bastards always break) but I've notice more and more that heaps of guitarists are using those power bricks like FuelTank etc...

What are the differences and advantages/disadvantages between them? Are FuelTanks more reliable? They're pretty expensive so I don't know if there's some secret I'm missing out on... daisy chains are a pain in the ass.
Depends on which FuelTank. Not all of them are isolated, IIRC. If you get a brick that isn't isolated, you're pretty much throwing money away.

The go-to PSU is the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2. It's isolated and a very well built unit. There's a clone of it out now, the Joyo JP-02, but I haven't heard any firsthand experiences of it yet.

EDIT: The Fuel Tank Junior is isolated, the Classic and Chameleon are not.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 7, 2013,
+1 to the pedal power 2 plus. Honestly, I just think bricks are more organized and conventional than daisy chains. They power more too.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
^ Not really, no brick I'm aware of can touch the 1700mA of a One Spot.

And I don't think one is messier than another... it's all about how good you are at cable management. My Gator Brick is messy and ugly, because my board is flat and there isn't any space underneath for cable management.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

And I don't think one is messier than another... it's all about how good you are at cable management. My Gator Brick is messy and ugly, because my board is flat and there isn't any space underneath for cable management.

Dammit offworld, quit proving me wrong

But really, if you're worried about reliability, I'd take a PP2+ over a daisy chain. I've had mine for 2 years and have beaten the crap our of it. Still works like a charm with no hum. The individual cables still work with no problems. You just gotta keep track of them
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Aug 7, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92

http://t-rex-effects.com/products/fueltank-goliath-1.aspx
http://www.customaudioelectronics.com/products?view=product&prod_id=prod39

They exist

The main advantage with a decent power supply is the isolation. And of course, being able to power multiple types of pedals requiring different voltages is useful; some can even do AC.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
http://t-rex-effects.com/products/fueltank-goliath-1.aspx
http://www.customaudioelectronics.com/products?view=product&prod_id=prod39

They exist

The main advantage with a decent power supply is the isolation. And of course, being able to power multiple types of pedals requiring different voltages is useful; some can even do AC.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Cheers all!

The Voodoo Lab PP2 are pretty pricey... not looking to spend more than $100 big ones on power. I did however find this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JOYO-JP-02-Power-Supply-Adapt-9V-12V-18V-for-BOSS-VOODOO-Lab-ZOOM-Effect-Pedal-/130903864961?pt=AU_Instrument_Accessories&hash=item1e7a7a7681

The Joyo version, for $88. It's from China though, and I've had some okay and some terrible experiences buying from China... mainly the quality of non-branded items.
You have to take it on a company by company, and sometimes product by product basis, rather than just where it's made. We haven't had any problems with Joyo here, not in the way that we've had problems with, say, Behringer or Bugera. While the ethics/morals are a completely separate issue, as far as objective quality goes I think Joyo is a safe bet. I could definitely see myself getting a JP-02.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
You have to take it on a company by company, and sometimes product by product basis, rather than just where it's made. We haven't had any problems with Joyo here, not in the way that we've had problems with, say, Behringer or Bugera. While the ethics/morals are a completely separate issue, as far as objective quality goes I think Joyo is a safe bet. I could definitely see myself getting a JP-02.

Yeah I've kept far away from products by Behringer! I hadn't heard of Joyo until recently, which is what made me wonder... and I mean, everything is made in China so it's not something to worry about. I only had bad experiences I think with products that didn't have brand names, or names that didn't actually exist when you looked them up.

Anyone heard of Caline before? I can't find much about them... only that they claim to be "exactly" the same as Joyo haha
I am by no means a paddle Wiz, but if you have $500+ dollars on a floor ( which isn't hard to do) i wouldn't trust joyo. Their pedals don't seem reliable and I wouldn't gamble with mine. Go voodoo lab and dseop the cash.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Consider the BBE Supa Charger power supply if on a budget. It doesn't include alot of options, but gives you 8 isolated outlets with two of them being around 200mA, which I find to be a better option than the Trex Fueltank Jr where all outlets have 120mA max each. The Trex Fueltank Jr & Chameleon are both isolated power supplies, their Classic unit isn't. The chameleon is worth considering. The PP2+ is expensive but solid unit, should last a very long time & would be a worthwhile longtime investment.
Digitech is also either coming out or has come out with a power supply too, haven't looked into it yet though.

I would skip on the Joyo for this purpose, the worse that can happen is that something fails inside & your pedals receive a large voltage frying stuff up.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I am by no means a paddle Wiz, but if you have $500+ dollars on a floor ( which isn't hard to do) i wouldn't trust joyo. Their pedals don't seem reliable and I wouldn't gamble with mine. Go voodoo lab and dseop the cash.

This, really.

I believe Pedaltrain is coming out with a power supply as well. Features look really nice.
Quote by steven_ferns84
Consider the BBE Supa Charger power supply if on a budget. It doesn't include alot of options, but gives you 8 isolated outlets with two of them being around 200mA, which I find to be a better option than the Trex Fueltank Jr where all outlets have 120mA max each. The Trex Fueltank Jr & Chameleon are both isolated power supplies, their Classic unit isn't. The chameleon is worth considering. The PP2+ is expensive but solid unit, should last a very long time & would be a worthwhile longtime investment.
Digitech is also either coming out or has come out with a power supply too, haven't looked into it yet though.

I would skip on the Joyo for this purpose, the worse that can happen is that something fails inside & your pedals receive a large voltage frying stuff up.

thats what i use. i love it. i bought it when BBE was selling for cheaper prices a few years ago. good range of outputs, if you need 18w, just run two plugs together merging to one tip thats the only thing that sucks, but at least it did power my MXR 10 band, for a long time.

i have no complaints. i have had it long enough to say it has been through the ringer and has lasted fine. i would buy another.

but i also did buy a 1 spot and like it too. just one thing to remember about to a 1 spot is that you can't use any reverse polarity pedal (most fuzzes), even my voodoo proctavia. other than that they are great for easy quik setup.

but if you are gigging seriously, you want a full iso power supply. bring extra leads, some will break over time and abuse. mount it and forget it, you will be golden.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
^ Where are the dip switches on the BBE? I always forget about it, might go for one of those instead of a Joyo.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
^ Where are the dip switches on the BBE? I always forget about it, might go for one of those instead of a Joyo.

As stupid as it sounds I don't remember the moment. It is at my other house with my pedals. If I remember correctly they're on the underside and they're very small slider on the bottom.

I paid $70 brand new from an eBay dealer. In hindsight I wish I would have bought 2.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
As far as I know the joyo and caline aren't particularly isolated. From what I gather, all the 9VDC outputs are in one 'isolated' section, and the 12V is in another, and 18V in another. Which doesn't really help with noise between the 9V sections (may or may not be a problem, depends on rig).

However; I could be wrong.

But if it is like that (as I suspect); than really what you are buying is a glorified one spot, or other daisy chain psu.
RIP Gooze

cats
Awesome advice, cheers all! My pedalboard is relatively "small" at the moment (trying to downsize, but keep managing to build it!)... my band gigs a shitload and I valued my gear the other day, definitely would have $500+ on the board. So I bit the bullet and bought a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus! Cheapest I could find was $295 brand new in Australia... because I needed specifically to get the Aus version (240v mains) it was damn pricey, but should be worth it. Only thing I liked about the Joyo over this is that it has LEDs for each output, so you can see which one is ****ing up. My band is potentially going to be touring soon as well, possibly to the States and hopefully eventually to EU, so definitely have to can the daisy chains at some stage! My daisy chains were giving me hell anyway, pedals would always cut out mid song and I would have to jiggle the cables to make it work again haha. Think this was a good investment cheers!

One more thing, since I mentioned touring overseas... if I were to use this Voodoo Labs PP2+ (240v version) in the States, would it work fine with a transformer to 110v for USA? Or will that be detrimental to the units performance? Or am I just being paranoid
Quote by Offworld92

They're on the underside. I love mine!

As far as bricks not having as much power as the onespot, depends on how you look at it. The Voodoo labs 4X4 has around 2000ma available, although not from a single port. You don't supply a single pedal with 1700ma from the one spot anyways.

There aren't many pedals I know of that actually use more the 400ma. They have supplies that are capable of more, but most of the time, pedals do not even use half of what they ask for, haha! The biggest power hog I have is the Timeline, and 400 is more that enough to power that one.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by loop-de-luke

One more thing, since I mentioned touring overseas... if I were to use this Voodoo Labs PP2+ (240v version) in the States, would it work fine with a transformer to 110v for USA? Or will that be detrimental to the units performance? Or am I just being paranoid

You'll need a step up transformer to change the 110V to 240V. I don't think it'll be detrimental to performance, unless it's cheap, but I don't know for sure on that.

You'll have to do some research to find out what specs you need, I can't help you there.
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Aug 13, 2013,