so Im trying to more guitar, just not sure where to go.I play in drop d. I know the power/bar chords. I seem to play on the low 2 strings, I try to other stuff but it just doesnt sound the same.I just love the chug type stuff and I dont know how to intertwine anything else. should i be looking at single notes? I have tried some other chords but just havent found anything that catches my ear. I just dont know where to from here. I just know playing stuff on just the 2 low strings gets old after a while.
First of all, I'm going to recommend that you tune your guitar back to standard tuning. It's not a bad thing at all, since some songs actually require extremely fast power chord changes and/or the lower notes, but it looks to me like you're using the tuning as a crutch to make the power chords easier to form. Learning chords also becomes complicated because they're going to be presented in standard tuning. Learn it the standard way, then do it however you want to, in my opinion.

Since you're unsure what to learn, maybe you can try following a beginner's program. Justin Guitar is all free. I honestly can't say if it's good or not, because I didn't use that program when I started out, but Justin Guitar is pretty well-received on here as far as I can see.

I'm going to assume "bar chords" means the power chords that you play in drop D, so you'll want to look into learning chords and barre chords. If you're trying to get into lead guitar playing, look at some of the simpler songs that aren't all chords. Metallica has a bunch of songs that are great to start out with, such as Enter Sandman, since it involves chugging (being thrash metal and all), but also because it involves a little bit of lead playing. The power chords aren't changing very quickly, so you can get used to playing the shape with the song as well. I don't think you'd be able to play the solo yet, though.
Tune back to standard or Eb, Learning in Drop D is a terrible idea, Drop D is a great tuning but to learn with
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
Quote by lp4lifessamberl
so Im trying to more guitar, just not sure where to go.I play in drop d. I know the power/bar chords. I seem to play on the low 2 strings, I try to other stuff but it just doesnt sound the same.I just love the chug type stuff and I dont know how to intertwine anything else. should i be looking at single notes? I have tried some other chords but just havent found anything that catches my ear. I just dont know where to from here. I just know playing stuff on just the 2 low strings gets old after a while.

A couple of ideas come to mind:

1 - Listen to artists who use more of their instruments' range. Protest the Hero's Heretics and Killers is in a drop tuning, but you can bet they're all over the instrument. Same goes for most of that album, actually. Bear in mind, you don't have to be playing at that level so much as just exposing yourself to a wider palette of ideas.

2 - Try moving melodies around the neck. Low notes can have a lot of power, but if you make them the go-to sound, then you're robbing them of the opportunity to really impact the listener. Try to move some of the bits you've written on your lower strings to a higher register and make your way to the lower strings when you really need to hit the listener hard.