So, I had some time to kill yesterday, so I decided to drop by a couple music stores in the area, to see if there was anything I wanted to "gift" myself for my birthday next week. I found this [monstrosity] :

What we have here is a hot-rodded Vox AC-15CC1 in what appears to be a chassis made out of lawn furnature. However, it was only $200 and had Mercury magnetics transformers in it, so obviously I had to try it out, drool for 15 minutes over the tone, and then go and get cash and trade stuff.
On to the review:

Sound:
It's a Vox alright! Very warm, very crunchy, very responsive. The chiminess of it can be tamed with a pot that was added that (I believe) functions as a tone or mid knob. Takes pedals beautifly, and the tremolo is very warm as well. My only real complaint is that the reverb seems to have it's depth set to max at all times, but it may be the aftermarket RubyTubes reverb tank.

Looks: Awful. Not gonna even try making it sound better. I want to rechassis this thing as soon as have the funds. It's also awkward to move with no handles.

Durability: To be fair, if anything breaks on this thing, IT WON'T BE THE CHASSIS. Opened it up, everything seems solid. Mods were very neat. We noticed that he had replaced the tube sockets with ceramic ones as well.

Mods:
Mercury VX0-15A-L ToneClone and VXP15-CC Axiom transformers
Extra tone knob of some sort ??
New chassis
Ceramic tube sockets

Overall, I feel as though I would've gotten a steal at $200 (I ended up getting it for $50 after $150 in CRAP traded in). Recording clips tomorrow afternoon, so I'll have those up sometime tomorrow.

Thanks!
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Wow! Happy Not-a-Vox-but-still-a-Vox amp day!
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I think it looks great the way it is. The only thing it needs protection for the transformers and tubes.
Quote by AWACS
Wow! Happy Not-a-Vox-but-still-a-Vox amp day!

this

can you not just get some Vox style netting stuff for the front and hope for the best?

failing that, get an old AD100VTH and throw it in there, it's still a vox looking thing, but if you were to ever sell it, i suppose you'd have to fully explain that what's inside ISN'T an AD100VTH but instead a "Vox AC15CC1 hotrodded thing"
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
i would have bought that in a heartbeat. the mercury magnetics parts retail at more than that i bet. friggin awesome find.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
i would have bought that in a heartbeat. the mercury magnetics parts retail at more than that i bet. friggin awesome find.

I knew the transformers were good, but I had no idea that they'd be worth $400+ retail.

Clips are posted to my profile. I just recorded them through Audacity (I'm too tired to use Audacious right now). What do you guys think?
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp