Hello,
So recently I had the idea of taking my stereo effects (strymon timeline, boss ce-5) and using a stereo to mono box such as this one

http://www.americanloopers.com/y-splitter-pedal-p/y-split-np.htm

and sending a mono signal back to my amp. Would this create any sort of difference or is this pretty much a pointless idea?

Thanks!
Well that really depends what you want to achieve, I guess.

If it's because you want to use the effects marked stereo, then yes it's a pointless idea because it will still sound like the mono effect because it's still only coming out of one speaker.
Absolutely pointless. Using the CE-5 in stereo through one speaker will sound the exact same as running it in mono.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Okay. I thought i'd check. I've heard of some people doing it and had no idea why they would do it, but figured they probably know better than me haha.

Looks like i'll start looking into a second amp head (probably going with a rack mountable preamp and a pdi03 for the stereo effect). Thanks for the help!
If you want a stereo set up, I think the best ones are done in a full rack set up with stereo pre-amps and power amps. Bear in mind you'll need a stereo cabinet or more than one cabinet as well though. Something to look into definitely.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I already have an amp head that i've invested into, so i'll probably just look to keep on that route. I do love the rack look though!

As far as stereo cabinets go, I'm thinking about going with a PDI03 unit, which lets you DI your whole setup with the use of a cabinet (though you can still use one), and then i'll have a few signals to send to the audio guy.