Hello,

I'm having a problem with an electro-acoustic Ibanez that i recently bought. The action is so high that it is almost unplayable. So i decided to sand down the saddle, thinking it will help. It did help a little, but not enough, and i didn't want to sand it further, because i have a feeling that the saddle is going too far into the bridge at the lower part of the guitar. I'm not sure if it is supposed to do that, but still the action is too high. I'm not sure if the problem is the neck, because it looks straight enough.

Maybe it would be best to take it to a guitar tech, but im pretty sure they will lie to me about a guitar problem that doesn't exist, trying to squeeze more money out of me, as that happened once before.

Any thoughts ?
Adjusting/correcting the action on an acoustic is a multi-step process, not just "sanding down the saddle.
If you are determined to do this yourself, as you do not trust the local shop, I suggest strongly that you go to Frets.com and read the "Instrument set-up"section thoroughly:
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/pagelist.html#Musician

This will show you in detail how to take the standard measurements at nut and at the 12th fret and how to see if the neck itself is in need of adjustment via the truss rod.

Then, you can at least be armed with what you want to accomplish. In order to do a good job of the whole thing, you need specialized tools; nut files, a good sanding block (sanding the underside of the saddle ONLY and keeping it absolutely square).....

Or you could just shop around for another tech with a better reputation. This is not rocket science, and any competent tech should be able to correct your problem without much trouble; unless you have a more serious condition like needing a neck reset.
Quote by ABlindPotato
Hello,

I'm having a problem with an electro-acoustic Ibanez that i recently bought. ...[ ]...
If "recently bought" indicates "bought new", and you don't believe you'll have saddle showing above the bridge after doing so, the guitar may need the neck reset, and this is a warranty issue.

I have 2 Ibanez AE guitars, and one thing they share is having plenty of saddle showing after adjusting the string height. Both are below 1/8" E-6 @ the 12th fret.

And yes, they were both way too high when I got them.
Or you could just shop around for another tech with a better reputation

Yeah, i think that is the best course of action for me. Thanks for the information !

If "recently bought" indicates "bought new", and you don't believe you'll have saddle showing above the bridge after doing so, the guitar may need the neck reset, and this is a warranty issue

Actually the guitar i bought is used (5 years old, but in great condition !), played only a couple of times. I put new (thinner) strings, applied some lemon oil and the sound is great. I think ill take it to a guitar tech just in case, don't wanna mess things up.
Last edited by ABlindPotato at Aug 8, 2013,
Check the soundboard to see if it is "convex", (puffed up), or "concave" (Sunken in).

In the case of a convex sound board, the bridge is raised, and can cause the high action.

This can be a humidity issue, (too much of it).

In any case, this would cause you to sand off quite a bit of the saddle, and not have much bone showing over the top of the bridge. It shouldn't affect the sound that much, as the string angle to the body doesn't change that drastically.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 9, 2013,