Iv only just realised that I dont really have any goals or aims for playing guitar. I dont have anything that I really want to learn or to be able to play.

I just kind of practice and play for a bit, start to get ok and then it all tails off and I lose interest.
I dont really have any songs or solos that I really want to play and can never be bothered to really sit down and learn a song all the way through.

I dont "GET" the guitar, the fretboard and how it all goes together either and cant write anything that sounds interesting or good to me.

I dont know, Im not planning to join a band so I dont really see the point of playing anymore but I DO want to be able to play well!!

Confused.
You sir, need inspiration.

How long have you been playing?
Have you read any literature or are you just winging it?
Any particular reason you don't want to join a band?

Why do you even want to be able to play?
Last edited by johnnykbop at Aug 8, 2013,
If you don't want to learn songs or solos all the way through just learn bits and pieces of what you think sounds cool.

There are a lot of tutorial books and DVDs that can be very useful if you're comfortable using them. Maybe consider lessons?

I've been playing for several years but I still only know the basics of music theory. That doesn't keep me from writing cool things just from applying the knowledge I had gained by learning songs I liked.

Also, knowing how to play guitar doesn't necessarily mean you need to be in a band.

Play because you want to.
Play because it feels good and you enjoy playing.
Quote by johnnykbop
You sir, need inspiration.

How long have you been playing?
Have you read any literature or are you just winging it?
Any particular reason you don't want to join a band?

Why do you even want to be able to play?

Iv been playing on and off for nearly 8 years. Im relatively ok I guess but nowhere near as good as I want. But like I said, I dont really know where I want to take my playing.

By literature you mean guitar instruction? I have all Troy Stetinas books and am trying to go through Fretboard Mastery.

Its not I dont want to join a band its that I dont know anyone who plays and I dont think I take it seriously enough to play with others to be honest.

I just thought it would be cool to be able to play some songs and solos and impress people really haha.
Quote by LTaces
I just thought it would be cool to be able to play some songs and solos and impress people really haha.

Well, were they impressed at least? :P
Go watch some live (guitar) music. Watching an amazing guitarist on stage always inspires me to sit down for hours and play til my fingers hurt.
Yeah, Iv started listening to some different bands now instead of the same old songs.

Im also gonna try some new and different exercises too. I want to learn the fretboard so I can make the sounds and feelings I want to and be able to express myself.

Im using Rock Discipline and watching Petrucci play like that makes me wanna practice!!
Do you aspire to play professionally?

If so, you really need to find something that excites, inspires, or provides some kind of draw to take on a challenge.

The desire to play at a high level is really just your eagerness to take on challenges. You have to do something that really pushes your abilities every single day to keep growing. It's about confronting your inabilities and insecurities with joyful confidence.

If you don't want to play professionally, then enjoy the guitar in whatever way you like. Wait for inspiration and enjoy whiling away the occasional weekend learning fun songs.
try finding some people to jam with when i get stuck in a rut or feel uninspired i go jam with someone and together we come up with cool licks and stuff and just have fun with it. It inspires me to come up with little licks to build on and to incorporate some of techniques and ideology they use in their playing aswell as to learn new songs and solos.
With all do respect, if you only started learning to try and impress people then you started learning it for the wrong reason. When an artist excels at what they do (music, or anything else for that matter) it's because they're genuinely passionate about it. The fact that other people enjoy it or are impressed by it is a bonus that comes from hard work, persistence, and time invested into what they love.

If you want really want to stick with it, find music that inspires you - something that you really connect with.

Don't be afraid expose yourself to genres of music that you may not have given a chance to in the past.

Most importantly, play for yourself before you ever worry about impressing people, or what other people might think of it. If you genuinely enjoy yourself and what you play, then not only will you want to practice more, but it will reflect in your playing.