Ok so my band will be launching an EP in november and we have a huge event planned.

This is what will be going on.

Our band playing our set, about 45 minutes long,
Another band with TWO sets playing covers to entertain the crowd (note that it's the same bassist... this will be important)
Karaoke facilities
Festivities (chance to win merch, get on stage and have a shot with the band, karaoke contest winners etc.)

Our set and the cover band's set will be filmed and recorded both audio and video to later release as well.

So we have a lot of planning in terms of order. We want to keep things interesting for the crowd, we want a good crowd when it's our turn to be filmed and we NEED to give the bassist a good long break between sets.

This is what I originally planned. The times are flexible.

7 to 9 - Doors open, regular CD music on the PA, wait for everyone to show up, explain in person how the evening will work, how to buy tickets and stuff

9 to 10- Official introduction and welcome, explanation of the evening and how it's going to work and then the first set of the cover band

10 to 11 - Karaoke, contests (merch giveaway) stuff like that

11 to 11.45 our set

11.45 to 1 more karaoke and contests

1 to 2 second cover band set, closing contests and thanks.

We'll have an events coordinator but the schedule of the bands and festivities is pretty much up to us. If you were in our shoes, how would you do it?
I guaranee people will be bored of listening to a CD for two hours. That neefs to be cut down massively. Have a ticket stall set up, near the entrance, and have someone at the door welcoming- this person mentiona raffle or whatever. Reinforce this in the introduction, make sure the bands reinforce the festivities during their sets. You've timed for a 7 hour event- that's a long time, man.
7:00 - doors open
7:02 - call it a night
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Is it on a night before a weekday? If yes, than you need to finish by 11pm because people generally have work.

Even if it's on a weekend, 2am may be too late for some because people got last trains and buses and that to catch.

I don't know your target crowd/local community so this all might not really be an issue. I'd take the 2 hour cd bit and drop it to 30 mins or make it 1 hour and have doors at 6pm if you are worried about getting a good sized crowd in. People are going to come late either way and making the first comers wait so long at the start on top of the waiting between bands would probably make them pissed off enough to leave early.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Sounds like an awesome night, but I've never put on.... any... event..... ever, I guess...... :/
How about:

6:00 -Doors and explanation
7:00 -Support Band set A
8:00 -Karaoke
9:00 -Support Band Set B
9:30 -Karaoke final
10:00 -Headline Band and YOU announce the contest winners on stage, hell, have the karaoke guy/gal up too.
11:30 -DJ
01:00 -Close
^ I like that better, that way everyone who has stuff to do next morning can leave at 11:30 after the main stuff has happened.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
It's your event, you're the headline act, you definitely need to be the last live band.

Also, as you're the headline act I'd recommend you do two sets & the other band only does one.

Other than that, what Bart said.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by bartdevil_metal
How about:

6:00 -Doors and explanation
7:00 -Support Band set A
8:00 -Karaoke
9:00 -Support Band Set B
9:30 -Karaoke final
10:00 -Headline Band and YOU announce the contest winners on stage, hell, have the karaoke guy/gal up too.
11:30 -DJ
01:00 -Close

Yeah, do this.
Why the hell would you put the cover band on for 2 sets. Either get a third band and do one spot each or do 2 yourself.

Also you can trim like the 3 hours from that night, its way too much. go from like 8-12 or 7-11 or something.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
it's on a saturday and it's really downtown so there are public transportations until 1.30ish easily.

I understand the whole "2 hours of cds is boring" and I agree but people are going to be late. My plan was to put "doors at 7, show at 9" on the party. I can probably work on this though... Maybe doors at 7, show at 8

The reason why the cover band is doing two sets is because 1st, it's going to be a party and these guys really REALLY put a good show, they're our friends so they'll do it for free and quite simply we don't have enough material for 2 sets...

The album launch is important but it's vital that the crowd have an insane amount of fun... and a cover band is perfect for this.

I like the idea of doing the two cover sets first and the final contest winners coming up on stage with us...

I guess 7 hours IS pretty long. we'll see what we can do about tightening it up.

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming!
Quote by flexiblemile
The reason why the cover band is doing two sets is because 1st, it's going to be a party and these guys really REALLY put a good show, they're our friends so they'll do it for free and quite simply we don't have enough material for 2 sets...

Hope you don't mind me saying this, but if you don't have enough material for 2 sets, then you aren't ready to be headlining this sort of show.

Also, if the other band are that good (and you sound like you think they're better than you), then they'll steal the show and all you're doing is hosting an event to promote them, because they're the band people will remember.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Here's what you should do.

Release the album for free three to five days prior.

Hype the shit out of the show.

Play a twenty minute set tops.

No fewer than five of those minutes needs to be straight feedback while shouting out anthemical ideas about punk and revolution.

then start screaming how the old guard is dead.
IF they're better than you, it should be their gig, not yours. Theyre going to upstage you....
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ProphetToJables
IF they're better than you, it should be their gig, not yours. Theyre going to upstage you....

You can always have a release show under the headliner.
Doors open 1/2 hours before

Lose the Karaoke...

2 sets, 1 them, 1 you.

Half hour TOPS in between.

If you MUST have 'raffles' and and other assorted nonsense, use them as filler to pad your set, but don't drag them out.

I don't go to hear live music to listen to a CD, to listen to karaoke or to listen to 'and the winner is'... Plenty of bars and bingo halls for that.

I go for the bands, end of story.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Aug 8, 2013,