I know that there is an official thread for FR-styled trems. But I hope it's ok to make a separate thread about mine specifically. As I'm going to do much work on it. So if this is against the rules, please message me instead of going for teh InstaBanz.

Anyway, I'm going to look at my edge III and see if there is anything to fix(intonation etc). I'm also going to setup the tremolo for ultra light .008 strings and as low action as possible without buzz for teh shredz.

I was thinking that I could make some sort of journal or something. And aside from just me learning, other users(newbies) will as well. As there seems to be an awful lack of guides specializing on the Edge III. I can provide pictures if wanted.

This is my first time doing something like this. So here it goes:

- 1. I believe I've had the trem setup at an incorrect angle and this is supposed to wear more on the knife edges? Correct?
So what I'm going to do first is check the knife edges to see if they are worn. Is it safe just removing the springs and just take the thing out? Strings are already removed.
I suppose it's good to buy some new springs as I've had the same ones since I got the guitar(4-5 years back).
I remember watching some Youtube video showing a fix for the wear on the edges by putting a piece of nylon in between the metals. Would this work?

- 2. The frets also seem to be worn. Is there anything I can do about this?

I'll start with this.
Last edited by PunchSlap at Aug 8, 2013,
This is the only guide you will ever need to setup any floating trem:

http://forum.ibanez.com/yaf_postst69978_MEGATRON-S-FLOATING-TREM-GUIDE.aspx

It's totally safe to remove strings and pull the trem right out.

I would not put nylon between the blades and posts. You want a solid metal on metal contact there. You can sharpen them however and lubricate it with graphite or the like.

As for frets, depending on how bad they are, you can have them polished, re crowned, leveled, or a total refret. All depends on condition.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by Starcounter1 at Aug 8, 2013,
There's a lack of guides for the Edge 3 because it's not really anything worth savouring.

I have the same guitar and as soon as I have some spare cash, I'm ripping that thing out and sticking in anything else. Probably a TRS-101 because they're cheapest around here.
Thanks for the link Starcounter, I'll check it out!

johnnykbop: Some users are stuck with their Edge III, so for the sake of us not so lucky people, there has to be some sort of guide(although Megatrons guide seems perfectly good actually). Also, many people say that the trem is good and perfectly usable if you just set it up correctly.
As for myself, my next guitar will be the Vigier Excalibur Shawn Lane signature *drools*
Quote by PunchSlap
Thanks for the link Starcounter, I'll check it out!

johnnykbop: Some users are stuck with their Edge III, so for the sake of us not so lucky people, there has to be some sort of guide(although Megatrons guide seems perfectly good actually). Also, many people say that the trem is good and perfectly usable if you just set it up correctly.
As for myself, my next guitar will be the Vigier Excalibur Shawn Lane signature *drools*

That's only if it hasn't already been thrashed over the years. The trem is fatally flawed because of a cheap, malleable alloy that was used in it. The knife edges wear down and no amount of setup will keep it stable and playable.

But good luck on the Vigier!
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
If the blades are just ate up bad, you could just block out the trem. You would lose all the benefits of the floating trem, but it will be stable to play and tune. I had a trs lo pro 2 trem. Biggest piece o crap ever. Cheap metal, and lightweight block. Even tho it was a worn out part it still functioned well enough. They are serviceable.
So I took out the trem, but I have no idea if these knife edges are considered worn or not:

Maybe I should dust it off.

Sorry for the size of the pics, I have no idea how to change it.

And yes, if the tuning instability becomes too much then I guess I'll have to lock the trem. But then I suppose it's byebye to the sweet vibrato only the trem can produce.
Quote by lemurflames
That's only if it hasn't already been thrashed over the years. The trem is fatally flawed because of a cheap, malleable alloy that was used in it. The knife edges wear down and no amount of setup will keep it stable and playable.

But good luck on the Vigier!

Thanks!

Ah, I see. I guess I'll make the best of what I have for now anyway
Really, why are you "stuck" with the edge 3? A decent replacement doesn't cost that much.

Damn, it looks like you've been moving the lawn with that thing!
Quote by johnnykbop
Really, why are you "stuck" with the edge 3? A decent replacement doesn't cost that much.

Damn, it looks like you've been moving the lawn with that thing!

Are you implying that they are worn?
Alright, so what can I do about it? I've heard that Edge III's knife edges can't be replaced, is this true?

I'm "stuck" because I'm saving up for a Vigier instead of "just slightly better" than what I have now. The Vigier one will last a lifetime so I'll just go for that one as soon as possible.
But in case the apparent piece of crap I own happens to just fall apart even more than it has: what will a decent replacement cost?
People can hate on the Edge III all they want but most of them just have no idea how to set it up. I have a guitar with an original Edge, and another with an Edge III lying around, and honestly, the Edge III is fine. Its not awesome but its not horrid. The reason you hear so many bad things about it is because newbies have no clue how to set it up, then go around bashing it....since its found on mostly cheap guitars, newbies mostly own them.

Oh and i recommend Rich's guide on ibanez rules. Its the guide I used to learn how to set things up.
Want to Buy:

UV7PWH
Quote by Stealthtastic
People can hate on the Edge III all they want but most of them just have no idea how to set it up. I have a guitar with an original Edge, and another with an Edge III lying around, and honestly, the Edge III is fine. Its not awesome but its not horrid. The reason you hear so many bad things about it is because newbies have no clue how to set it up, then go around bashing it....since its found on mostly cheap guitars, newbies mostly own them.

Oh and i recommend Rich's guide on ibanez rules. Its the guide I used to learn how to set things up.

In which way would it be "not awesome"? Thanks for the tip about Rich's guide, seems like a very thorough one.
Quote by Stealthtastic

Being a newbie or a pro doesn't fix the problem with the trem being made of cheap metal that doesn't hold its shape.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by PunchSlap
In which way would it be "not awesome"? Thanks for the tip about Rich's guide, seems like a very thorough one.

Its not quite as stable as an OFR or some of the higher end edge models but it definitely gets the job done.

And yes, Rich's guides are godlike. He is THE Ibanez guy, so it only makes sense to use his guides.
Want to Buy:

UV7PWH
i had an edge three on my ibanez its not a BAD tre, for what it is a budget trem on a lower ed guitar i will mention thought that i wore out the trem in a few years of heavy use i replaced it with an edge pro(? i actulaly forgot its been a while) and the guitar is just great now

so not a bad trem but it has a very short life. set up they perform pretty well
and yes thodse edges are worn you can sharpen and lubricate but its just delaying th eineviztable
Quote by Starcounter1
I've seen worse knife edges. Those should be fine just like they are.

Alright then. I actually only use it for vibrato so I thought it would be quite odd if the edges would be crazy worn. I guess I'll notice any malfunction when I've set it up.

My local guitar store didn't have .008 strings unfortunately. So I bought a cheap set of 9's until I get a hold of strings that size(they would get them eventually, but I'm restless when I can't play my guitar).

I mentioned the springs in my first post, is it really vital to buy a new bunch of springs? Or can I re-use the ones I have? If they maintain the tram angle I see no reason to throw them away. If the lack tension from years of use would be considered an issue then just screwing in the claw(the thing at the other end on the springs from the trem side?) screws would take care of that problem.
Anything I'm missing?
Also, maybe someone could take a look at these studs in case they are in bad shape:

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z321/Adam_Johansson/20130809_121915_zpscae05321.jpg

http://s1184.photobucket.com/user/Adam_Johansson/media/20130809_121942_zps4765c889.jpg.html

A thought I just got: If the studs are of a more malleable metal than the Edge III knife edges, wouldn't that, in some way "transfer" the deformation to the studs at least a little bit?
Alright, as no one bothered to check my last posts I decided to restring the guitar anyway. I was now thinking of lowering the action height. I've read somewhere that you should screw the studs directly when the strings are set because it will damage them. Which makes sense I guess at it will grind the metals. So how should I do it? Don't tell me I have to slacken all the strings and re-tune it....
Yes, I tried google. But no one explains clearly, not even at Ibanezrules. Oh well, maybe I just didn't find it.
Quote by PunchSlap
Alright, as no one bothered to check my last posts...

We are all terribly terribly sorry. Where would you like me to send the full written apology?
Quote by johnnykbop
We are all terribly terribly sorry. Where would you like me to send the full written apology?

Oh man, did I hurt you? I'm so sorry! Hope you get better bro.