Hey everyone,
I'm a 20 year old guy and I play guitar since I was about 10 years old. Picked up an electric about 5 years ago and that's when I really started playing. I learned mostly by playing metal (Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Death), figuring out the riffs, trying solo's, you name it.

Now, I want to take my playing to the next level. I mean, I know my way around the fretboard, I can play most fast rythms, gallops, I can sweep pick a little, I can alternate pick a little, but I've been kind of stuck at a certain level. I never really practised, I just tried to cover the songs I liked, and wrote my own stuff.

So, regarding the subject of this thread: ''What's next?''. I want to be able to shred like Zakk Wylde, sweep like Marty Friedman and tap like Chris Broderick (obviously I'm overstating here, but you get my point). Not all at the same time, but I just want to work on my technique and practise many hours a day. I've been looking around this forum, google, everywhere and... I just don't know where to start, and what would be the best way to practise. There are so many diffrent lessons and things to consider, I just don't know what to do.

Can anyone point me in a direction? Maybe something that helped you to become a fast guitarist? A program? A set of video's on YouTube? Something I have to buy? I'll take it all in consideration, I'd love to know what's the most efficient way to reach my goals.

I hope someone can help me!
Steve Vai developed a pretty extensive practice regiment.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
If you're looking to become John Petrucci, learn some scale patterns that cover a wide margin of the fretboard. Play those to a click track like all the time until you're insanely fast and accurate. If you want to expand creativity! Learn some basic scales like the minor pentatonic and learn how to improvise. I.e learn an a minor pentatonic scale and look up an a minor blues backing track on youtube and play to it. Your Zakk Wylde uses a shit load of pentatonic in his playing mixed with minor scale leads. Hope this helps dude!
The biggest problem I can see is that you are completely obsessed with speed. Slow down and focus on accuracy more than speed. Build muscle memory and practice with good technique. Speed will come with time, experience, and playing to a metronome.

As for what you should do now, spend some time perfecting some songs you already know. There's always room for improvement. Start off with something that's attainable, but still a bit of a challenge. Get it to a point where it's clean and feels comfortable and almost easy. Then move on to something a bit harder. Rinse and repeat.

I also encourage you to start learning music theory if you haven't done so already. It won't actually help the technical aspect of your playing, but it will help you understand music, and it helps with the writing process.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.