Hey guys, my band recently completed and released our first self produced single. We recently went through some changes and whatnot so many of our previous recordings and videos were not a very accurate representation of our current group.

We're called Higher Calling, a christian rock band. Previously we hd a different lead male vocalist and we usually performed with a "praise team". We decided to drop the praise team and just go with one lead and two background parts. I hope you all enjoy it, let me know what you think! (I know Christian music isn't everyones cup of tea) Hopefully you can all find enjoyment in the music regardless of religious beliefs.

https://soundcloud.com/highercallingband/wouldve-been-enough-single
Last edited by DG_Griffin at Aug 9, 2013,
Hi. I just listen the song. I like it i just follow the band at soundcloud Very well done, the voice i think need more strength... That is talking about the mix and talking about that it's the one thing who share all that the song tries to say. The instrumentes do the job, i just would put more punch in the vocals ...

Good job guys!

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1612404
" Living the world as the music makes me feel "
good song and concept

your singer needs to project into the mic! get some gut in there, it seems like he's trying from the throat and nose, sing from the gut!

and im detecting air sounds into the mic, which can be easily avoided with a mic cover:

something like this http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1096346477/10-pcs-new-Black-font-b-Microphone-b-font-Covers-Windscreen-Sponge-Mic-Cover-KARAOKE-KTV.jpg

and the song could use a good mixing tweak for sure... (pick a track you wanna put emphasis on and mix around that)

a mastering job could do it wonders also (but yr not there yet)

C4c please

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1612614
Hi! Are you a home studio recordist in need mixing and/or mastering?

Want a FREE mix consultation?

CONTACT ME!

Hey guys, big apologies! I just realized I had uploaded the wrong mix of our single. (I feel like an idiot) Hopefully the new mix sounds a whole lot better! Enjoy! I replaced the link in my original post with the new one.
Ok well, its not my usual choice of music but ill try my best to give an unbiased crit.

The guitar strumming the chords was fine, kinda boring but it fitted the song.
the lead guitar really didn't do it for me, it was non directional, as in the solos didn't have any theme or idea they were trying to put across there was no melody as such. Even now trying to remember how the solo went i cant because it sounded like random notes that were just in the correct key of the song.

As for the composition of the song, its was all good. But for me i would have like to of had some build and release of tension, but instead it just seemed to meander down the same path for the whole song.

I think this could be fixed with the lead guitarist better composing his solos and also thought the use of dynamics.

Sorry for a kinda harsh crit, it might just be me not understanding the sound your trying to achieve.
Thanks for the input! Yea I understand what your saying. This song was on our original EP and was mainly and acoustic song that we re-worked a little bit. The only "composed" lead guitar part was the intro/interlude riff. The solo I admit wasn't my best solo ever, but the rest of the band liked it (It wasn't supposed to become the focal point of the song) so I just used that take. We have some more guitar oriented songs, I'll admit this isn't the most satisfying "lead guitar" song we have. Haha.
Liked the melody. But the lead guitar sound was not in my taste. Maybe its the echo i dont really like.

I'd put a little bit of reverb on the vocals.
As wozzsta said, it'll be better if the song takes some different direction at some moment. It's done well though. Vocals are too dry. I liked the minimalistic approach with the lead guitar, I don't think the song needs long and very "technical" solo. All in all, good song!
Thanks for the critique guys! Much appreciated. I actually do have some reverb on the Vox, I just didn't want it to be too much and super noticeable. I do suppose it could've had a bit more though.

I do tend to crank the reverb on my amp though, hence the "echo", I also had some delay in there.

As far as the direction of the song, I definitely get what y'all are saying. This just wasn't the kind of song to have a big direction change. We totally have some stuff like that though.
Last edited by DG_Griffin at Aug 10, 2013,
hey man, thanks for the crit. I listened to ur piece, I enjoyed it, very mellow music, i liked the vocal tone, lyrics were good, The only thing i didnt like was the guitar solo, the phrasing was pretty bad imo, the vibrato was way too fast to fit. It almost sounds unnatural. Other than that though, it was pretty good. Good job!
Hey guys just a quick update, we just heard back from a local radio station here in Ohio (95.9 "The Light") and they are going to be playing our new single on the air! We're very excited, I appreciate all your support.
Last edited by DG_Griffin at Aug 10, 2013,
Hey man, thanks for the crit! I agree with what wozzsta said, for the most part. I also didn't really like the acoustic sound, it sounds really thin. Was it miced or an acoustic-electric? The vocals were good for that style of song. Good job overall!
Cheers for the crit dude.

I can't say I'm at all familiar with such a style of music but I really like what you've got. Just musically the melodies are all great, and the tone of the singing really works with the track.

Production wise some of the guitar tones could do with sharping up a bit, but it's not bad for a self-production. Just thought, drums sound a bit static, but it's difficult to achieve otherwise without a studio.

Nice one
I think you have a good song here. I agree that the lead guitar tone could use some improvement and the notes he plays could be more complex, maybe some bends and added rhythms. Can tell drums get a little off time sometimes too.

But it is an awesome song, no doubt. Good start and keep progressing!
I really liked the backing chords, and the beat was simple but fit the song well. The lead guitar fills were nice. However, I agree with the other reviewers that the solo felt a bit...idk how to say it. It feels like you just wanted a solo for the sake of having one. It doesn't really go anywhere in developing the song, it's just there. It's not bad, but I'm not sure if the song needs a solo. Over all, really good work!
Quote by ibanez1997
I really liked the backing chords, and the beat was simple but fit the song well. The lead guitar fills were nice. However, I agree with the other reviewers that the solo felt a bit...idk how to say it. It feels like you just wanted a solo for the sake of having one. It doesn't really go anywhere in developing the song, it's just there. It's not bad, but I'm not sure if the song needs a solo. Over all, really good work!

That is exactly what it is, haha. I really just wanted to add a solo to the song. I couldn't agree more that it wasn't my best work, but whatever, live and learn I guess haha.

For the acoustics we both miced and recorded them direct. The drums we recorded using only 2 mics, so we had to work with what we had. Also we don't have an official drummer ATM, so our lead singer/guitarist took care of the drumming so it of course wasn't perfect. But they deemed it good enough for radio which was our goal, so I'm happy with it!

Also I thought I would add a little gear list of what we used:

I used my Martin OOOx for my acoustic parts and my Strat for the leads. My amp is a AC15c1. I think i kicked on the BD2 for the solo.

Dustin our Lead Vox and other guitarist used a Yamaha acoustic and his 72 Tele Thinline for the rhythm parts. Drums were an old Gretsch set at the church.

The Synth was a Yamaha MOTIF (We had 2 of them!) And our bassist played a Music Man Stingray.
DG,
The intro lead guitar (melody is fine) has an ear-piercing tone, but I'm sensitive to that. I like the rhythm guitar. Drums are good. The vocals are good. The church I attend doesn't play rock music, though I'm guessing this song would be popular at your church. Keep at it! Perhaps you could review my weird synth music (with lyrics that are less obviously the same topic) at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1613032
Quote by aaron aardvark
DG,
The intro lead guitar (melody is fine) has an ear-piercing tone, but I'm sensitive to that. I like the rhythm guitar. Drums are good. The vocals are good. The church I attend doesn't play rock music, though I'm guessing this song would be popular at your church. Keep at it! Perhaps you could review my weird synth music (with lyrics that are less obviously the same topic) at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1613032

Thanks for the input! Yea, we do pretty much any style of music at our church. It's very fun to play at. Last night we just did "You Are Good" by Planetshakers, which is a pretty rocking' song if you've never heard it before check it out!