http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/08/health/malaria-vaccine/

That's awesome. Its not completed yet, but scientists are getting very close to creating a vaccine that will give you 100% protection.

Great news, indeed.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Last edited by Jostry at Aug 8, 2013,
Quote by genghisgandhi
The hard part is getting it out to the people that need it. Get on your steed Bill Gates.

+1
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I feel like this won't mean much where it matters for a long time.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Elderer
Aw shit more black immigrants in Europe.

Malaria,start mutating NOW!

no surprise a dirty latvian would be an idiot.
Quote by genghisgandhi

But it not is Malaria. Nor potato. Just sad.
Quote by genghisgandhi

my climate is deadly for them malaria mosquitos so...i dont give a shit about this one.
getting aids vaccine would be awesome tho,less hassle with condoms.i could life with other shit tho.
**** scientific breakthroughs. I'll take out the champagne when they ACTUALLY start distributing it. Until then it's just a publicity stunt for more funding.

Also to the guy saying it would bring more immigrants to europe, it's the opposite. The reason immigrants leave africa/asia/south america is because of the ton of shit like malaria. If you take away their reason for leaving they won't leave...

Hell my list of reasons to not move to brazil might be one shorter if they pull this through
Quote by flexiblemile
**** scientific breakthroughs. I'll take out the champagne when they ACTUALLY start distributing it. Until then it's just a publicity stunt for more funding.

Also to the guy saying it would bring more immigrants to europe, it's the opposite. The reason immigrants leave africa/asia/south america is because of the ton of shit like malaria. If you take away their reason for leaving they won't leave...

Hell my list of reasons to not move to brazil might be one shorter if they pull this through

Do you have any idea how big it is that they've even gotten through to human testing with this?
Quote by flexiblemile

If this thing will work, them pro-globalization liberals will surely work their way to get it down there. We already have conquered most of the diseases natures been throwing at us.

Hopefully it wont happen. In cases like this I just hope one of those conspiracy theories about population control and them evil Jews are holding back medicine from us.

Okay okay I'll stop havent slept for a while,might be going crazy.
Quote by flexiblemile
how many people do you know actually HAD malaria?

like... for realsies

well our bosun(sea-farer here) cought that shit while on anchor at the coasts of Nigeria.the dude was hospitalized with helis just like in the movies lol.
Quote by flexiblemile
how many people do you know actually HAD malaria?

like... for realsies

One of my mum's work colleagues died from it about 8 years ago, after she contracted it on holiday, and the son of the lady an uncle of mine employs (he lives in Zimbabwe) that I've had visit whenever he was in the UK on his rugby tours died last week from malaria.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
One of my mum's work colleagues died from it about 8 years ago, after she contracted it on holiday, and the son of the lady an uncle of mine employs (he lives in Zimbabwe) that I've had visit whenever he was in the UK on his rugby tours died last week from malaria.

so aren't you sick of getting your hopes up every other week when the media announces some new scientific breakthrough guaranteed to prevent it for everyone?

I wish with all my heart that this pans out but I'm not getting excited about stuff like this or cures against dengue or whatever. I'll believe it when the needle goes in my arm and I don't get malaria
Quote by Elderer
Aw shit more black immigrants in Europe.

Malaria,start mutating NOW!

You're an asshole.

OT:
That's pretty cool, TS. Now, if we could just get it to the parts of Africa that need it.
Quote by flexiblemile
so aren't you sick of getting your hopes up every other week when the media announces some new scientific breakthrough guaranteed to prevent it for everyone?

I wish with all my heart that this pans out but I'm not getting excited about stuff like this or cures against dengue or whatever. I'll believe it when the needle goes in my arm and I don't get malaria

No, I'm not sick of it. I've been involved in medical research myself (peanut allergen testing and quorum sensing). I know what goes into research. I know of a lot more going on than what's out in the media. There's some amazing stuff going on that won't be reported for another 5-10 YEARS. Again, I'm not sick about 'getting my hopesmup' because I know that what has been reported is a bg step for malaria eradication. And not only that, other medical avenues can benefit from the research done. Scientists will read any papers published and apply that to their fields of research.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
No, I'm not sick of it. I've been involved in medical research myself (peanut allergen testing and quorum sensing). I know what goes into research. I know of a lot more going on than what's out in the media. There's some amazing stuff going on that won't be reported for another 5-10 YEARS. Again, I'm not sick about 'getting my hopesmup' because I know that what has been reported is a bg step for malaria eradication. And not only that, other medical avenues can benefit from the research done. Scientists will read any papers published and apply that to their fields of research.

What happens with the allergy research? Did it have any effect? Has your allergy become less severe? I ask because i am also highly allergic to most nuts, and i have heard flutters of news about trials where the patients are given small amounts of peanut (or whatever allergen it is) and, over time, the amount is increased. Is that similar to what you had?

Anyway, on topic, this is great news, and while it may take a while for this to be applied effectively, it is definitely a big step in the right direction. Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't malaria supposed to be one of the most widespread killer diseases? Second to cancer maybe?
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by donender
What happens with the allergy research? Did it have any effect? Has your allergy become less severe? I ask because i am also highly allergic to most nuts, and i have heard flutters of news about trials where the patients are given small amounts of peanut (or whatever allergen it is) and, over time, the amount is increased. Is that similar to what you had?

Anyway, on topic, this is great news, and while it may take a while for this to be applied effectively, it is definitely a big step in the right direction. Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't malaria supposed to be one of the most widespread killer diseases? Second to cancer maybe?

I'm not allergic to nuts. This was lab research, helping out a professor and his PhD students. Specifically, I was involved in creating a portable, easy to use food analysis technique to test for peanut proteins. The guy I worked for is currently trying to miniaturise the process into something about the size of a credit card.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Now, if we could just get it to the parts of Africa that need it.

Seriously, when the vaccine is ready, Bill Gates will get it done. That seems to be one of his major goals.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm not allergic to nuts. This was lab research, helping out a professor and his PhD students. Specifically, I was involved in creating a portable, easy to use food analysis technique to test for peanut proteins. The guy I worked for is currently trying to miniaturise the process into something about the size of a credit card.

Ah right, ok. I think i've heard about something like that, i went to a university design show for a friend of a friend last year and someone was displaying something similar to that. It had an analysis device, and it also had a small version of an epipen (adrenalin injector), which was very useful, as the current design is about as long as a large marker pen, whereas the version on display had the same thickness, but was about as long as a mobile phone.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by flexiblemile

This is different because they actually tested it on people, and it worked.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Quote by Wormholes
Until it mutates into something much worse and then we are back to square one.

I suppose you sit around bricking it about the return of mutated polio