Page 1 of 6
Abomination94
Nocturnal Dominion
359 IQ
The metal forum is dead these days, a lot of long time regs don't post anymore and nothing much is going on. In the spirit of "Your Move", we could have a riff tournament. All structurally the same as the "Your Move" game but instead of choosing an album that best fits a concept, the active players write a riff and then the passive players review and vote on who they think wrote the better riff.

Just an idea, let me know what you guys think.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
The Light chokes and dies
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
romencer17
Take it easy, but take it
1,928 IQ
i will play as long as it is not against the rules for me to just use every riff from my old grind EP
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Abomination94
Nocturnal Dominion
359 IQ
I think it would make for fairer, more objective judging if a genre was specified for each round. So if you get grindcore, your in luck
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
rg_metal
The Clit Commander
2,225 IQ
So you mean actually record a riff? Or write a tab that people can just play or use guitar pro to figure out?

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
Abomination94
Nocturnal Dominion
359 IQ
I think it would be better to record the riff and put it up on your profile or something.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
The Virtuoso
L'Étranger
3,904 IQ
I like the idea, but it sounds like too much work. I think one of the reasons why the "Your Move" thread was so successful was because it was very passive in the sense that all you had to do was listen to an album, whereas here you want people to take a more active role in the game by writing and recording something. Prove me wrong UG.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Abomination94
Nocturnal Dominion
359 IQ
Funny you should say that, because I thought the opposite. I figured the reason Your Move died was because it was too much effort, having to actually sit down and analyse an album to write a review isn't something all of us do very often, but I'm sure we all play guitar regularly so it's not like we really have to go out of our way to play this one.

I thought this would be less work and possibly a bit more fun, I guess we'll find out if this actually takes off.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
Somekid94
Dingus
622 IQ
I think its a pretty good idea, so long as everyone has the required equipment to make it happen. Which most people should.
Abomination94
Nocturnal Dominion
359 IQ
This being a guitar site, I'm sure we all have a guitar and amp. For recording all you need is an mp3 player, which is what I'll be using, and I'd bet we've all at least got one of those.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand
2,144 IQ
I will never win because my mic sucks and I use a vypyr with stock speaker. FML
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
Abomination94
Nocturnal Dominion
359 IQ
Dude, it's not about recording quality. I have a 25 watt Killer amp with nothing but an overdrive button, a cheap ass $200 guitar and an even cheaper mp3 player. It's about the riffs maaan, the riffs. And fun, not winning. And good writing practice.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
Minimallamb
642 IQ
Sounds good, I suck at writing riffs so it'd be good practice
Misha Mansoor:
Uplifting quote disguising failure as something to be proud of.
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world
705 IQ
Maybe if I can just blow a riff straight through my laptop mic and everyone's ok with that
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

PSN: esunax
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
The only issue I could see is that some people would be like, "But I'm not comfortable writing a death metal riff". Granted, if we got enough people involved, then it wouldn't matter. But if it's like 20 people or less and there's only like 3 people writing riffs each time (because people are more comfortable with certain genres that they've played a lot), then that'd be lame.
RiffYourFaceOff
burned and died
160 IQ
I'd actually really like to hear a bunch of black metal and doom riffs recorded with laptops and mp3 players.
last.fm
"the waves have now a redder glow..."

Quote by genghisgandhi
I don't care what my dad says, you metalheads are alright.
Abomination94
Nocturnal Dominion
359 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
The only issue I could see is that some people would be like, "But I'm not comfortable writing a death metal riff". Granted, if we got enough people involved, then it wouldn't matter. But if it's like 20 people or less and there's only like 3 people writing riffs each time (because people are more comfortable with certain genres that they've played a lot), then that'd be lame.

That's all part of it though, it's good practice to try and write outside your comfort zone. I don't have confidence writing in any genre, this is all about sharing ideas and doing something fun on this forum to try and resurrect it.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
The Virtuoso
L'Étranger
3,904 IQ
I don't think it's going to resurrect the forum, but I'll try and give it a shot. I can't promise that anything will be in time, nor can I promise good quality.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
severed-metal
moo
4,307 IQ
I don't have a mic cable, so I could do the whole bedroom black metal thing with my garbage mic. It would be a lot of hiss (reference to the dark one ) . It would be dark and cryptic, possibly a riff that you could listen to while walking in a forest under a full moon in winter in my spaghetti in the snow past a grave yard.
Last edited by severed-metal at Aug 8, 2013,
Abomination94
Nocturnal Dominion
359 IQ
So, uh, should we do this or not? Who's keen?
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
The Wildchild
COME TO INDONESIA!!!!!!!!
3,282 IQ
why not. i'm down
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by Abomination94
That's all part of it though, it's good practice to try and write outside your comfort zone. I don't have confidence writing in any genre, this is all about sharing ideas and doing something fun on this forum to try and resurrect it.

Well, I'll give it a shot, but I'll be using VSTs in my DAW (read: in Reaper). So, as long as that's allowed, cool.
The Virtuoso
L'Étranger
3,904 IQ
I'll do it.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Abomination94
Nocturnal Dominion
359 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Well, I'll give it a shot, but I'll be using VSTs in my DAW (read: in Reaper). So, as long as that's allowed, cool.

What's that?

Alright, sweet. If we get at least 10 people we can play. Also I'll need someone to co-organize this whole thing with me because my internet access isn't always regular, so if someone's keen to help out PM me.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
ctfod
Your move, creep
1,105 IQ
I'd be down for it

YOUR MOVE CREEP
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Kepulix
The Witchfinder
1,413 IQ
Quote by Abomination94
but I'm sure we all play guitar regularly
Nope.

I'm in regardless.
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

romencer17
1,928 IQ
yeah i'm down. will be getting a new computer within the next week or so I will be equipped to record.

Sumdeus
rg_metal
The Clit Commander
2,225 IQ
I would be highly interested if my amp wasn't in the US. I have my guitar with me... just no amp

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world
705 IQ
I'll play but my recordings are going to sound like shite-covered ass
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

PSN: esunax
RiffYourFaceOff
burned and died
160 IQ
I'll give it a try, this will give me an excuse to finally attempt to record something with my RP250.
last.fm
"the waves have now a redder glow..."

Quote by genghisgandhi
I don't care what my dad says, you metalheads are alright.
The Virtuoso
L'Étranger
3,904 IQ
Quote by rg_metal
I would be highly interested if my amp wasn't in the US. I have my guitar with me... just no amp

You could always write out a tab and send it to someone else to record for you. Just an idea.
Quote by Senor Kristian
AllJudasPriest
UG's Parrot
14,554 IQ
You could always initiate a challenge where everyone picks a song that has no tabs whatsoever, and is less known to even dedicated musicians, and they must transcribe everything.
romencer17
1,928 IQ
yeah but no one would do that

Sumdeus
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Quote by AllJudasPriest
You could always initiate a challenge where everyone picks a song that has no tabs whatsoever, and is less known to even dedicated musicians, and they must transcribe everything.

I'd use that as a way to get tabs for everything.

I think I'll try this.
AllJudasPriest
UG's Parrot
14,554 IQ
Quote by Morphogenesis26
I'd use that as a way to get tabs for everything.

I think I'll try this.
It could work.

Drums are the easiest thing to transcribe for me, no matter the style. Once the timing is known, the percussion is relatively simple. The only song I've had trouble with the drums on is Baptizm Of Fire by Glenn Tipton. The drum solo is hard... The rest of the track is done though...

You can, within 15 seconds or so, learn what key, tempo and time signature a song is in. Every time it changes(if it does), etc...
Last edited by AllJudasPriest at Aug 9, 2013,
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by AllJudasPriest

As I understand it, the whole point of this to write your own riffs. So, tabs by bands don't even factor into it at all. A genre is picked, like "Death Metal", and we all write our own DM riff.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not really interested in finding some song by a band no one has heard of and transcribing it.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 9, 2013,
AllJudasPriest
UG's Parrot
14,554 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
As I understand it, the whole point of this to write your own riffs. So, tabs by bands don't even factor into it at all. A genre is picked, like "Death Metal", and we all write our own DM riff.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not really interested in finding some song by a band no one has heard of and transcribing it.
That's fine sir. By the time I posted, the idea was already set and I didn't realize that. Sorry...

But okay, the other idea is fine.
Abomination94
Nocturnal Dominion
359 IQ
Quote by AllJudasPriest

I think writing our own original riffs will be more fun. Besides I can't figure out songs by ear anyway

Ok so far on the confirmed players list we've got:

The Wildchild
Kepulix
Rome
Kytokinesis
RiffYourFaceOff
ctfod
The Virtuoso

We need to decide some rules for this thing. I was thinking we'd do it like Your Move, where each week two players face off against each other, once the riffs are uploaded the rest of us then give criticism and vote on which riff they liked best. Winner goes on the next round and so on until we have two finalists.

Should we have a different genre for each round or for each tournament? I was thinking it would probably fairer to have one genre for a whole tournament, but it might not be as interesting and possibly difficult for winners to keep thinking up new riffs within the same style.

If everyone just posts their ideas for how we'll play, I'll make them up into a list and we can vote on how this game will be played.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...