Page 2 of 6
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
So, uh, TS are...you going to get this idea of yours rolling?

Quote by Abomination94

Ok so far on the confirmed players list we've got:

The Wildchild
Kepulix
Rome
Kytokinesis
RiffYourFaceOff
ctfod
The Virtuoso

We need to decide some rules for this thing. I was thinking we'd do it like Your Move, where each week two players face off against each other, once the riffs are uploaded the rest of us then give criticism and vote on which riff they liked best. Winner goes on the next round and so on until we have two finalists.

Should we have a different genre for each round or for each tournament? I was thinking it would probably fairer to have one genre for a whole tournament, but it might not be as interesting and possibly difficult for winners to keep thinking up new riffs within the same style.

If everyone just posts their ideas for how we'll play, I'll make them up into a list and we can vote on how this game will be played.

I am. There are details to sort out. Are you definitely playing?
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
The Light chokes and dies
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
Ok so the player list is now:

The Wildchild
Kepulix
Rome
Kytokinesis
RiffYourFaceOff
ctfod
The Virtuoso
Elintasokas
RebelDawg13
TrippyGuitarist
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
gonna be interesting to see you guys judge the entries given that they are only riffs outside the context of a song
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
It is a bit difficult to listen to only one riff and think about why it was played the way it was played or what is going on... without some big picture surrounding it.

Recording a whole song would be really demanding, but also, could we play like three different riffs which can be connected to each other given the context? Then you can have a better understanding of where the artist is going. Or rather, not necessarily a "riff" but a riff with a "piece" "section" "texture" or what have you... just something else to accentuate your music more clearly.

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
I signed in for a riff. I'll play a riff.
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by rg_metal
It is a bit difficult to listen to only one riff and think about why it was played the way it was played or what is going on... without some big picture surrounding it.

Recording a whole song would be really demanding, but also, could we play like three different riffs which can be connected to each other given the context? Then you can have a better understanding of where the artist is going. Or rather, not necessarily a "riff" but a riff with a "piece" "section" "texture" or what have you... just something else to accentuate your music more clearly.

Valid point. We could do it like this; instead of just a riff, contestants create a short piece that fits the round/tournaments theme, it can be as complex as you want but pieces have to be under, say, a minute and half max.

Or we could stick to the original idea and just do a single riff. If everyone posts how they'd prefer to do it, we'll go with the most popular option.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
We could have everyone upload a riff for that round, and then whoever gets the least amount of votes loses that round, everyone else advances, rinse-repeat. Except the problem with this, with our little community here, it might end up being just two or three people with 3-5 votes and everyone else has 0. Not to mention the voters would have to listen to all ten or so uploads.

If we do it like "your Move" like you suggested, then that means not everyone will get a chance to play each genre. Likely, each person would only get to play one or two genres

If we do the entire tournament in one genre, that's going to be redundant, and we'll likely never get to any other genres.

So we need to figure out a way to have rounds of feasible size, but where the chosen topic eventually reaches everyone.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Quote by Kytokinesis
We could have everyone upload a riff for that round, and then whoever gets the least amount of votes loses that round, everyone else advances, rinse-repeat. Except the problem with this, with our little community here, it might end up being just two or three people with 3-5 votes and everyone else has 0. Not to mention the voters would have to listen to all ten or so uploads.

I like this idea. Easy fix for the vote problem would be for each player to score everyone elses riff out of 5 or 10 or something instead of having just the one vote. A couple of problems I can think of would be that if everyones playing at once, people might be unfair in their scoring because they want to win. I would hope you guys aren't like that, but you never know in competition. Also, having 10 or so riffs to listen to would mean it would be very time consuming to write a little paragraph of criticism, explaining why we gave the score we gave, what we did and didn't like about the piece etc.

What we could do is this; say we have a 10 player tournament. For the first round, 5 players are writing riffs and the other 5 are the reviewers. Then the roles are swapped and the other group writes. Like you suggested, lowest score each round is out until we reach a final. Players who are out of the competition still have to give scores and criticism till the tournament ends.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
So I don't have my amp so I can't create any riffs at the moment. What about those who aren't playing... what can their role be?

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Abomination94
I am. There are details to sort out. Are you definitely playing?

Yes. It'll be a good challenge for me, I think.
Quote by Abomination94
What we could do is this; say we have a 10 player tournament. For the first round, 5 players are writing riffs and the other 5 are the reviewers. Then the roles are swapped and the other group writes. Like you suggested, lowest score each round is out until we reach a final. Players who are out of the competition still have to give scores and criticism till the tournament ends.

That's a good idea. I just had another idea as well. What if, instead of deciding who wins/loses each round by the number of votes, we use a point system instead? Votes=points. The points carry through each round, and we don't tally up the points until the very very end. This way, everyone is able to participate in every round and experience every genre to the end even if they are losing. Once we reach the end and tally up points, there should be an obvious winner. Also, this will prevent someone from getting kicked out because they did poorly in say, death metal, but are able to do well in black metal, or whatever. The variation everyone goes through in points from genre to genre should also squash any chance of a tie by the very end.

This could be incorporated in your system I quoted.

Quote by Kytokinesis
That's a good idea. I just had another idea as well. What if, instead of deciding who wins/loses each round by the number of votes, we use a point system instead? Votes=points. The points carry through each round, and we don't tally up the points until the very very end. This way, everyone is able to participate in every round and experience every genre to the end even if they are losing. Once we reach the end and tally up points, there should be an obvious winner. Also, this will prevent someone from getting kicked out because they did poorly in say, death metal, but are able to do well in black metal, or whatever. The variation everyone goes through in points from genre to genre should also squash any chance of a tie by the very end.

This could be incorporated in your system I quoted.

I like that. It's more fun if you aren't worried whether you'll (for instance) flop out of Grindcore because you really don't want to tune your FR-equip guitar any lower than D standard (which is where it's at), like me.

But yeah, points and continuing on through all the rounds is much better.
it'll be more impressive to make a killer grind riff in E.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
if there's a djent round i'm not participating at all

Sumdeus
I don't stand a chance when it comes to writing anything other than black and doom metal riffs but it sounds like fun so i'll give it a go.
DISCLAIMER: There's a very good chance that i have no idea what i'm talking about.

Quote by CodeMonk
Your sig has never been more true.
And you are a piss poor troll.

Quote by phayzze
Can someone explain to me wtf this guy is on about

Quote by romencer17
if there's a djent round i'm not participating at all

every round is going to be a djent round

Quote by romencer17
it'll be more impressive to make a killer grind riff in E.

True, but I'm not retuning my guitar, lol. I'd have re-do a lot, and it's just a giant pain, lol. Joys of having an original Floyd Rose equipped guitar.

I tune to D standard, which gives me a lot of versatility for various Metal (or Metal-inspired) or Prog-ish songs I write.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 10, 2013,
my point was mainly that you can just write it in whatever tuning you want and i doubt anyone's gonna care. I can't imagine people being "oh this death metal riff isn't in B standard, boooo!!" I play in E standard nowadays and certainly won't be changing tunings just for this.

Sumdeus
In terms of genre, we could do a different one for each round (that all participants would compete in). First round could be death/black metal riff, second could be NWOBHM, etc.
Also I think we should do just one riff, making it simple for people to compete and to judge, and do it by that cumulative point system mentioned above. No restrictions with regards to tuning, effects, or anything similar.
Quote by RebelDawg13
In terms of genre, we could do a different one for each round (that all participants would compete in).

I believe that's the plan.

Don't worry, there will be no djent round my friends.

Quote by RebelDawg13
No restrictions with regards to tuning, effects, or anything similar.

I agree with no restrictions on tuning, but I'm not sure about effects. Speaking for myself, I don't have any effects other than an overdrive button on my shitty little practice amp so that puts me and anyone else who might be in a similar situation at a disadvantage to those of you who have a ton of pedals to play around with. What do you all think is fairer for competition?

I think we are nearly ready to get this thing started. I'll write up a description of the game with all the rules and how it will be played etc. and we can then all discuss that, change anything we might decide needs changed and then we'll be ready to play.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
I would like to participate, but I'm wondering how much time we would have per round. I will be gone for several days at a time in the near future, and it would suck to miss a round.

Also, how much would it be frowned upon if I recorded my entries from Guitar Pro's Realistic Sound Engine? I'm more proficient at composing for than playing guitar, and I assume this competition will be focused on the qualities of the riff and not on the quality of the recording or the guitarist's playing.

By the way, I think it should be discussed what exactly constitutes as a riff in the context of this competition. Would extra layers such as lead/rhythm guitar be allowed? How about a riff involving dueling guitars? A riff that consists of several variations on the same melody, and as such could also be interpreted as multiple riffs? Maybe I'm overthinking this.
I'd like to participate actually. Now's not the best time for me since I don't have an amp on me, but I guess I can find some amp to record on. I assume this will be bare-bones guitar riff only, and we won't be allowed to add drums and bass on it? Because imo, adding them usually helps the riff a lot and not all of us are probably gonna have the chance to record all that.
For those who want to participate but don't have an amp *looks at rg* I guess you could try recording clean to your computer's mic and use a program like audacity and use vst plugins to add distortion and stuff post-recording. I just hummed into my laptop mic and used a tube screamer plugin on it in audacity and it sounded pretty legit.

hmm... that is pretty cool. I know of a program that was perfect for recording on a computer. Like it was basically an awesome amp... but you just use your headphones and its all on the computer. I would love to install that on my computer and get a USB plug in for that... if I can find that and install it... I'll participate. I'll try kyto's example as well.... hopefully... I can get a good sound.

Quote by Stranglehold

Quote by severed-metal

how about if you can't record but wanna participate perhaps you could tab it out in powertab or guitar pro and export a midi of it lol or have someone else record the file

I think the best idea for sure is the whole everyone participates in every round then at the end the scores are tallied up

also I've never.. been one to discern the whole "Context" of a riff within the song or even the album haha I can always appreciate a good riff by itself

perhaps if the audience wants an encore of sorts or some more context provided to a riff if the "contestant" wishes they could provide it or what not? like say you want to hear where said riff came from and where it's going it could be provided [but not judged] just for the sake of the listeners' curiosity

anyway count me in for sure this sounds like fun and my lazy writing needs to be pushed lol
Last edited by NosferatuZodd09 at Aug 11, 2013,
Quote by UnarmedLad
I would like to participate, but I'm wondering how much time we would have per round. I will be gone for several days at a time in the near future, and it would suck to miss a round.

Also, how much would it be frowned upon if I recorded my entries from Guitar Pro's Realistic Sound Engine? I'm more proficient at composing for than playing guitar, and I assume this competition will be focused on the qualities of the riff and not on the quality of the recording or the guitarist's playing.

I'm thinking a round will probably be about a week long. That should be enough time for the first group to get their riffs written and the second group to judge. The next rounds will start straight after so if your away for a week or more at a time you probably won't be able to play.

No, you have to be able to actually play the riff you've written. This is more about players skill at composing with and playing the actual instrument than just compositional skill.

Quote by UnarmedLad
By the way, I think it should be discussed what exactly constitutes as a riff in the context of this competition. Would extra layers such as lead/rhythm guitar be allowed? How about a riff involving dueling guitars? A riff that consists of several variations on the same melody, and as such could also be interpreted as multiple riffs? Maybe I'm overthinking this.

Quote by Sanitarium91
I'd like to participate actually. Now's not the best time for me since I don't have an amp on me, but I guess I can find some amp to record on. I assume this will be bare-bones guitar riff only, and we won't be allowed to add drums and bass on it? Because imo, adding them usually helps the riff a lot and not all of us are probably gonna have the chance to record all that.

Entries will be a singular guitar track. No layering or other instruments allowed as some people can't do that and it puts those who can at an unfair advantage.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
UG Metal Forum Riff Contest (Cool Title Pending, any ideas???)

Players will be divided into two even groups. Each round will take up to two weeks to complete. In week 1 the first group will all write and record a riff that fits the genre of the round and upload it to their profile. These riffs are then criticised and given a score out of 5 by the second group. In week 2 the roles are reversed, group 2 writes and group 1 reviews. There will be six rounds in total. At the end of the six rounds each player will have a score out of 30 and a winner should be determined. In the event of a tie, there will be a riff-off between tied players in the style of their choice.

Some Rules:
- No layering guitars or other instruments are to be present in your recording. Single guitar track only.
- Other than distortion, no other effects will be allowed as some players do not have the same luxuries you might.
- Any and all tunings are allowed.
- If you miss out on a review or recording a riff for any round, you are out of the game. Only commit to playing if you’re sure you’ll be able to participate for the entire game.
- All entries have to be actual recordings. You can’t just submit a tab or something. If you want to play but have no amp or anything at all to record, you can get a player from the other group to record the riff for you.

Ok, the 2 groups are as follows:

Group 1
The Wildchild
Kepulix
RiffYourFaceOff
ctfod
RebelDawg13
TrippyGuitarist
Sanitarium91
rg_metal

Group 2
The Virtuoso
crazysam_23Atax
romencer17
SaintVitus
Kytokinesis
Elintasokas
NosferatuZodd09
Abomination94

If you want to play and aren’t on this list let me know soon because once the game starts, entries are closed.

The Rounds:

Round 1: Old-School Heavy Metal
Round 2: Thrash Metal
Round 3: Death Metal
Round 4: Doom Metal
Round 5: Black Metal
Round 6: War Metal

Discuss anything you would change about what I've got here, once we all agree on how this game should be played, I'll open up a new thread and we can get started.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
Last edited by Abomination94 at Aug 11, 2013,
My computer has a 1GB soft download limit and if i surpass it i won't be able to upload or listen to any riffs, if i'm careful it shouldn't be a problem but it's possible that i'll end up being disqualified half way through the contest.
DISCLAIMER: There's a very good chance that i have no idea what i'm talking about.

Quote by CodeMonk
Your sig has never been more true.
And you are a piss poor troll.

Quote by phayzze
Can someone explain to me wtf this guy is on about

You shouldn't have to download anything because players will be uploading their riffs to their UG profiles.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
I'll give this game a go.
With riffs, do we have to write percussion/bass parts or is this exclusively guitar only?
This sounds fun.

Quote by Abomination94
You shouldn't have to download anything because players will be uploading their riffs to their UG profiles.

With internet, whenever you veiw a webpage or stream anything you are downloading it from the internet to view it, same as if you were downloading a file to save.
1GB isnt very much at all
METAL!
Oh right, I see.

If you read my above post you would know the answer to your question.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
This contest just seems too fun to pass up. Please count me in, I'll do my best.
Could someone explain to me what war metal is? I don't believe that I've ever heard of it before.

Also for doom metal would be ok to do something more along the lines of Black Sabbath as opposed to the more contemporary stuff that people normally associate with doom metal?

Thanks