Page 3 of 6
Quote by RebelDawg13
Could someone explain to me what war metal is? I don't believe that I've ever heard of it before.

I don't think that's actually a thing. It's like people who call certain types of Brutal Death Metal "Slam Metal". Or bands who call themselves "Forest Metal" or whatever. What I mean is that it's a bullshit/fake genre.
Quote by RebelDawg13
Could someone explain to me what war metal is? I don't believe that I've ever heard of it before.

Also for doom metal would be ok to do something more along the lines of Black Sabbath as opposed to the more contemporary stuff that people normally associate with doom metal?

Thanks

It is a thing. Look up bands like Revenge, Necroholocaust, Black Witchery etc. It's the sound pioneered by Blasphemy way back when and is now imitated relentlessly by a thousand crappy bands signed to NWN!. War Metal is a relatively common term to describe that sound and it's the term I prefer to use.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
The Light chokes and dies
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
Last edited by Abomination94 at Aug 11, 2013,
Quote by Abomination94
It is a thing. Look up bands like Revenge, Necroholocaust, Black Witchery etc. It's the sound pioneered by Blasphemy way back when and is now imitated relentless by a thousand crappy bands signed to NWN!. War Metal is a relatively common term to describe that sound and it's the term I prefer to use.

Ok, whatever. I still think it's a bullshit term. Anyway, could we just stick to main genres (Death, Black, Doom, Thrash, etc.) in this contest?
It's not an "official" genre I guess. I could have just as easily said Black/Death, but as I said, I prefer War Metal. I didn't think many people would go for it to be honest, if a few more people say they don't want to have a Black/Death round then we can scrap it. I only add it because it's my favourite.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
Quote by Abomination94
No layering guitars

Damn.

Just grabbed my guitar and I can't play for shit. This ought to be fun.
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by Kepulix
Damn.
Tell me about it. No harmonisations, no layered goodness. Will probably have to try and keep it pretty simple then.
Uhh shit, I thought I posted in this thread but I guess not. Throw me into one of the groups, I'll do my best haha.

That kinda blows about 1 track, no band or anything like that, since I've gotten used to that but oh well.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
I haven't written a heavy metal riff in yeeeeears. Don't know if I've ever written anything passable as doom either, really. Will be interesting. Also, I don't wanna be that guy, but War Metal sounds like a kind of music that isn't very defined. It's sort of somewhere between death, thrash and black metal. It seems to be largely based on the rough aesthetic, too, so is there any other option? Were kind of out of the basic genres I guess, but maybe Grindcore or Crust Punk? Or to mix things up, just a genre like "experimental" or "avant-garde" metal to give a totally different kind of round where everyone would have to try write something "out of the box"?
I'm in luck with the harmonies thing lol, I tend to write most things for one guitar so I end up with random chords which should of/would of been played by different guitars haha
Quote by Sanitarium91
Also, I don't wanna be that guy, but War Metal sounds like a kind of music that isn't very defined. It's sort of somewhere between death, thrash and black metal. It seems to be largely based on the rough aesthetic, too, so is there any other option? Were kind of out of the basic genres I guess, but maybe Grindcore or Crust Punk? Or to mix things up, just a genre like "experimental" or "avant-garde" metal to give a totally different kind of round where everyone would have to try write something "out of the box"?

Totally agree, its redundant as we have thrash, black and death already.
Quote by NotFromANUS

last.fm
I think this will be ok for now. We can try it out like this and see how it goes, and if it picks up we can continue on with other tournaments tackling more specialized genres. Or if something goes wrong we can just re-think it and start over.

And this really only needs to be as simple as possible. There's not going to be layering and bass and drums and synth and xylophone because these are going to be probably 30 second to minute long riffs. If that. This needs to be as open as possible so everyone can participate without learning to become sound engineers or spending any money on equipment. If you guys are itching to write polished, layered songs then maybe we could all cooperate to make a "UG Metal Forum EP" or something
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

I understand why its only guitar, I'm just used to writing for the whole band.
Quote by Kytokinesis

If you guys are itching to write polished, layered songs then maybe we could all cooperate to make a "UG Metal Forum EP" or something

I would definitely be down for this.
Quote by NotFromANUS

last.fm
Quote by Kytokinesis
If you guys are itching to write polished, layered songs then maybe we could all cooperate to make a "UG Metal Forum EP" or something

Yes, yes, yes!
I would make round one heavy/power and round two speed/thrash to open up more possibilities. Just a thought. Also, we could do a Folk round instead of war, so we can hear acoustic riffs, or maybe if 6 is the last round, we can do a free for all for the people who made it that far and want to show what they can do in their chosen genre? I'm sure we're all going to sound like Revenge recording through our laptop mics.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Last edited by The Virtuoso at Aug 12, 2013,
Quote by Kytokinesis
How many times has this been tried before? At least twice since I've been here, I think.

I wouldn't mind having a go. Could you please enter my name?

Can we double track, i.e. two hard panned guitars playing the same notes? Not a problem if not.
So just to confirm. Are we allowed two weeks to write/record/review? If so I'm in. I'll be super busy with school/work/ soon so a week would be a bit of a stretch for me and for others it seems.

And guys don't worry about a one track riff being so bare-bones. If Keith Merrow can do it, we can do it.

/KeithMerrowfanboy.
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
Quote by Jehannum
I wouldn't mind having a go. Could you please enter my name?

Can we double track, i.e. two hard panned guitars playing the same notes? Not a problem if not.

Yes.

No.

Quote by BlueAltitudes
So just to confirm. Are we allowed two weeks to write/record/review? If so I'm in. I'll be super busy with school/work/ soon so a week would be a bit of a stretch for me and for others it seems.

And guys don't worry about a one track riff being so bare-bones. If Keith Merrow can do it, we can do it.

/KeithMerrowfanboy.

No, in the first week one group will be writing and in the second week the other group writes. Reviews won't take long, players should easily be able to review and score all the other groups riffs in no time at all so that will happen at the end of the week just before their writing week starts. This gives the second group a slight advantage in the first round so we'll just have to trust you all not to cheat.

Ok, you've all made fair points. Rounds will now be:

Round 1: Heavy/Power Metal
Round 2: Thrash/Speed Metal
Round 3: Doom/Stoner Metal
Round 4: Death Metal
Round 5: Black/War Metal
Round 6: Acoustic

I think having an acoustic round will be interesting.

New groups are:

Group 1
The Wildchild
Kepulix
RiffYourFaceOff
ctfod
RebelDawg13
TrippyGuitarist
Sanitarium91
rg_metal
Helloween4ever

Group 2
The Virtuoso
crazysam_23Atax
romencer17
SaintVitus
Kytokinesis
Elintasokas
NosferatuZodd09
Abomination94
Jehannum

I will wait for this BlueAltitudes to confirm he's playing, if he is we will need one more player so groups have an even amount of people.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
Quote by Kepulix
How many times has this been tried before? At least twice since I've been here, I think.

Do I look like somebody who's been here a long time and would know?

But if everyone actually does want to do that some time, through this competition at least we'll be able to see who has the writing chops and who's got the expensive gear for recording.

I'll give it a go. Count me in.
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
Quote by Kytokinesis
Do I look like somebody who's been here a long time and would know?

But if everyone actually does want to do that some time, through this competition at least we'll be able to see who has the writing chops and who's got the expensive gear for recording.

Btw, recording gear isn't THAT expensive.
Abomi you've skipped over UnarmedLad like 8 times put him and BlueAltitudes in and then we should be set

Oh shit, my apologies UnarmedLad. Alright, I guess we're ready to get this started. I'll prepare the thread tonight.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
I was thinking it'd be kinda cool to accept different entries for a genre like maybe show casing some of the extra subgenres of say Death Metal, Black Metal and Doom.

And it could be judged as they all get rated, and the end tallies get categorized with "no extra subgenres" and then with "extra 1, 2, 3"

say Death metal -> normal, tech, melodic
Black metal -> war, melodic, normal
Doom -> Death, Black, Doom, and any others?

just an idea lol I have a whole bunch of riffs that I want to contribute so far and it kinda sucks to only pick one haha :x
I think we should keep it simple this time around, see how it goes and make any necessary changes for the next game.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
How are we going to deal with possible inconsistent amount of votes?

Quote by donegan_zealot
damn, a tad too late i guess to join?

Yeah, sorry, you'll have to wait till the next game.

Quote by Kepulix
How are we going to deal with possible inconsistent amount of votes?

I'm not sure. The success of this game mostly depends on the players commitment to it. Hopefully everyone who signed up will do all their reviews and riffs each round.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
I reckon if someone misses a round, as in not contributing a riff, the person will just lose the points they may have gotten. I don't think this should be taken so seriously, it's just a bit of fun.

That was awesome. Father Ted's cool. I don't think it's being taken that seriously, but if we're going to bother doing it we might as well do it well.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
No problem! I am surprised I was able to notice I wasn't on the list last night. Reading lists is difficult while intoxicated. I vaguely remember having to CTRL+F to make sure. Apparently still quite sharp.

No surf rock round?
Your Move was better

That is all
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Your Move was better

That is all

I like you. Your action is akin to what I would do .

You should join then Goldfish. Help improve the infrastructure around here.
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
I could help a little but my setup is shitty and my general "riff" is something vaguely resembling Khanate or Monarch!.

I guess I'd be restricted to writing with either an incredibly lo-fi equipment, or scoring it out. Or I could just pop in and vote.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I don't think that's actually a thing. It's like people who call certain types of Brutal Death Metal "Slam Metal". Or bands who call themselves "Forest Metal" or whatever. What I mean is that it's a bullshit/fake genre.
>slam death

There's a considerable difference between Prostitute Disfigurement and Abominable Putridity and the difference is that AP is slam death. And that PD has some grind in there but the rhythmic elements are REALLY pronounced in SDM
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Aug 13, 2013,
Quote by Banjocal
>slam death

There's a considerable difference between Prostitute Disfigurement and Abominable Putridity and the difference is that AP is slam death. And that PD has some grind in there but the rhythmic elements are REALLY pronounced in SDM

Who really gives a shit?
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Who really gives a shit?
People who take an interest in categorising and understanding the subtle differences in different musics rather than arbitrarily denouncing the validity of a specific genre term with no logical grounding or understanding as to why the subgenre has been created.
ha-haaa