Page 4 of 6
Quote by Banjocal
People who take an interest in categorising and understanding the subtle differences in different musics rather than arbitrarily denouncing the validity of a specific genre term with no logical grounding or understanding as to why the subgenre has been created.

I'm about one of the most anal people about genres here, but Slam Death Metal is just a form of Brutal DM. I really don't care about titles beyond that. Now, if you want to argue this out, I suggest you take it to PMs with me. I'd be more than happy to hear some history of the subgenre and get a few band rec's from you. But this thread isn't the place for that.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I'm about one of the most anal people about genres here, but Slam Death Metal is just a form of Brutal DM. I really don't care about titles beyond that. Now, if you want to argue this out, I suggest you take it to PMs with me. I'd be more than happy to hear some history of the subgenre and get a few band rec's from you. But this thread isn't the place for that.
...which is how subgenres work.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Also Abom, can we use riffs from songs we've written already or no? I have a decent doom riff written in a song I've released already, if I can use it I will but if not no harm done.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Weird I thought I posted here saying sign me up but I guess I didn't. What exactly can people who aren't playing do?
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by palm mute
Weird I thought I posted here saying sign me up but I guess I didn't. What exactly can people who aren't playing do?

Well, there was another guy too who missed it.

@Abom:
Why not sign up palm mute and donegan?
Yeah I was going to. I intended to have the game thread opened up by now but I've been busy I'll add them to the groups.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
The Light chokes and dies
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
I don't really see how we're going to get people to write and upload riffs and everyone else to review and vote all in the same week. If the deadline for the riffers and reviewers is, say, the end of the week, I can see everyone having to wait until Friday and try and log on and review/vote for someone who has waited until the end of the week to upload a riff.

The only way I can see it is if we give the riff group a week to write riffs, and then once ALL the riffs have been uploaded, the voting group gets the next week to review and vote. THEN we switch.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Makes sense. We'll do that then.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
Do the non-players get any input at all? Can we just hear and rate the riffs (but the rating may not have a lot of weightage - the rating by actual players takes precedence/importance)
New idea (sorry if it's not new, and I just missed it in the thread). It may be too late, but maybe instead of eliminating people, we could have every one compete in every single style, and we can aggregate the points so the person with the most points at the end of the game wins. We can of course also vote for favorites, such as: Wildchild wins the award for writing the gayest riff ever.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by Kytokinesis
I don't really see how we're going to get people to write and upload riffs and everyone else to review and vote all in the same week. If the deadline for the riffers and reviewers is, say, the end of the week, I can see everyone having to wait until Friday and try and log on and review/vote for someone who has waited until the end of the week to upload a riff.

The only way I can see it is if we give the riff group a week to write riffs, and then once ALL the riffs have been uploaded, the voting group gets the next week to review and vote. THEN we switch.

That's what I mentioned earlier in the thread in a vague way. But you worded it much better !

So, I'm guessing this will get started by the weekend?
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
Quote by The Virtuoso
New idea (sorry if it's not new, and I just missed it in the thread). It may be too late, but maybe instead of eliminating people, we could have every one compete in every single style, and we can aggregate the points so the person with the most points at the end of the game wins. We can of course also vote for favorites, such as: Wildchild wins the award for writing the gayest riff ever.

I like that idea. We could do an elimination round for the top 4 people with the most points and everyone else will have a chance to compete for the top four spots. When someone from the top four wins, they will have some choice as to what the next genre or style/topic will be. As far as what they will actually win... that can be decided later of course.

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
Quote by The Virtuoso

Quote by Kytokinesis
That's a good idea. I just had another idea as well. What if, instead of deciding who wins/loses each round by the number of votes, we use a point system instead? Votes=points. The points carry through each round, and we don't tally up the points until the very very end. This way, everyone is able to participate in every round and experience every genre to the end even if they are losing. Once we reach the end and tally up points, there should be an obvious winner. Also, this will prevent someone from getting kicked out because they did poorly in say, death metal, but are able to do well in black metal, or whatever. The variation everyone goes through in points from genre to genre should also squash any chance of a tie by the very end.

Quote by Abomination94

There will be six rounds in total. At the end of the six rounds each player will have a score out of 30 and a winner should be determined. In the event of a tie, there will be a riff-off between tied players in the style of their choice.

Already in place

Although I'm not really sure where the "out of thirty" comes from.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

can we change the name of this thread?

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
Quote by Kytokinesis
Already in place

Although I'm not really sure where the "out of thirty" comes from.

Neither do I. Clearly my brain was on vacation that day.

The new thread will be up soon. Definitely before the weekend is over anyway. Does anyone have suggestions for a title?
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
Quote by Abomination94
Yeah, sorry, you'll have to wait till the next game.

In like a month and half? gayyy

also I was thinking like for a bonus round or something you could do something a little different like:

-no palm mutes allowed, or only palm mutes
-rewrite a pop or rock riff to make it sound metal
-can only use your top three strings
- have to include a tapping section

any of these while staying in a specific genre
Last edited by donegan_zealot at Aug 14, 2013,
Quote by donegan_zealot
no palm mutes allowed

In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by palm mute

your skills make the game unfair, it would give others a chance to win. Don't take it personally
Quote by donegan_zealot
In like a month and half? gayyy

Na it's alright, since palm mute's here you two are in the game.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
I swear I posted here a few days ago but it was on my android phone and it didnt go through I'm assuming.
Sign me up to the game if it isnt too late
METAL!
Meh, you can have my place in this. I'll be moving in two weeks and I can't record stuff there with a proper amp.
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by Ultraussie
I swear I posted here a few days ago but it was on my android phone and it didnt go through I'm assuming.
Sign me up to the game if it isnt too late

Yeah you did, sorry man, I forgot. Looks like you're in now though so it's all good.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
What is the deadline for group 1, round 1? I wasn't even aware the round had started and people are already posting submissions.
24th
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
Quote by UnarmedLad
What is the deadline for group 1, round 1? I wasn't even aware the round had started and people are already posting submissions.
Shieeet, I was under the impression that we were supposed to submit all six riffs by the end of the week, not just one. I already upped 3 haha.

What's the point of this round thing anyway? Is there like supposed to be an elimination process or something? I mean, if not, why not everyone (both groups) just post all their riffs asap, within like a few weeks or something (however long yall think is necessary) so we can get this shit moving and not have it float around? I mean, I think it feels kinda slow to keep everybody's interest the way it is.
I made it a week for each round so everyone would have enough to time to write a quality riff, I know I certainly couldn't write all six riffs in just one week. The idea to split players into groups was to make judging fairer. If we find there are easier, more fun ways to play we can certainly do it again in new ways, this is more like a trial game if anything.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
Quote by Abomination94
I made it a week for each round so everyone would have enough to time to write a quality riff, I know I certainly couldn't write all six riffs in just one week. The idea to split players into groups was to make judging fairer. If we find there are easier, more fun ways to play we can certainly do it again in new ways, this is more like a trial game if anything.
Aight, well, I started figuring out the riffs as soon as I signed up for it so I guess I took a bit of a head start. I guess I'll just take em out and add them back on as the rounds come by.
No worries, I think some people are going to be using riffs they wrote a while ago anyway.

Just out of curiosity, how long has everyone been playing guitar for?
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
I've been playing on and off for 5 years. Taking long periods of not touching a guitar into consideration, about 3 years.
last.fm
"the waves have now a redder glow..."
I've been playing about 7 or 8 years. I'm not nearly as good as I should be though.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Damn, Sanitarium. I'll be very surprised if anyone beat you on the thrash metal round. (If this ever gets that far, that is.)

I wish my picking hand was half that good. Or even a third. I'd be glad with a quarter.
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by Kepulix
Damn, Sanitarium. I'll be very surprised if anyone beat you on the thrash metal round. (If this ever gets that far, that is.)

I wish my picking hand was half that good. Or even a third. I'd be glad with a quarter.

He is in a Thrash band, man. Exocosm. They're pretty good. Look them up on bandcamp.