Page 5 of 6
Sorry I couldn't join in on this. It'd be lofi to ridiculousness, haha.

I'll be buying a condenser mic and a decent soundcard and all that jazz at some point. Will try and join anything you guys do next time.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by Kepulix
Damn, Sanitarium. I'll be very surprised if anyone beat you on the thrash metal round. (If this ever gets that far, that is.)

I wish my picking hand was half that good. Or even a third. I'd be glad with a quarter.
Damn, thanks. I really don't think I'm a great player or anything, but it's nice to hear some positive feedback sometimes amidst all the self-critique. All I can say is go play a lot of thrash and death metal, that's pretty much how I got to where I am as far as my picking is concerned. Tbh though, whenever you develop, all you see is the next level. It's almost impossible to be ever fully contempt with your playing.
Quote by The Virtuoso
I've been playing about 7 or 8 years. I'm not nearly as good as I should be though.

Just saw this. And I don't think any of us are as good as we think we should be, lol.

I can't even sweep pick properly. (Yes, I know it's easy once you "get" it, but I'm still in that "getting it" phase.) My only real excuse is that I barely have time to sit down and practice for a few hours a week.
I can do sweeps fairly well, my alternate picking is competent, I can down pick pretty well (although, since I gave up meat, I have lost a lot of muscle in my arms and I can't do it nearly as fast as I used to be able to do), I can do tapping, string skipping, and all of that other good stuff; however, a lot of it is sloppy, and I am terrible at writing rhythms. It's really that I know modes, scales, chords, etc., but I don't know how to write a song. :/
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
I can only do 3-4 string sweeps right now. Alternate picking is my favorite thing to do in the world. I haven't really even been in a situation where I needed to string skip.

As of late all I really find myself practicing is little neo-classical licks. It's the only stuff I ever seem to remember how to play even though I'm not even nuts about neo-classical stuff like Yngwie or anything.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

5 string sweeps aren't bad at all, especially the minor and major ones. They really only get difficult when you start adding extensions. I learned most of my alternate picking and string skipping from watching Paul Gilbert videos on youtube, so I highly recommend them.

Neo-classical stuff is fun, and all you really have to do is learn the harmonic minor scale and you're set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTN3gKcT1CI

This is a great sweeping lick to practice for that neo-classical sound.

Of course you can practice the diminished seventh three string sweeps also, and just move up in minor thirds until you end on the root of a harmonic minor scale. Sextuplets are great too if you just move up the neck on one string very quickly.

I know too much about guitar but I'm still so damn sloppy considering how long I've been playing.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Last edited by The Virtuoso at Aug 24, 2013,
Well, the thing is, I know it's not hard. lol.

It just "feels" hard, because my fingers haven't quite caught up with my brain yet. My brain knows how to sweep, theoretically, but my fingers are still going, "Wtf do we do here?"
alright so I heard all the entries so far [cept for one cause too low volumed lawl]
how do I go about rating them? some very awesome riffs

dude sanitarium 'xocosm sounds awesome [hahaha '(x)]

I think I got a nice thrash riff prepared to compete with you; see you in the battlefield >: D
Last edited by NosferatuZodd09 at Aug 24, 2013,
Sanitarium blatantly had the thrash round tied up the moment he entered.

His Heavy/Power entry sounding absolutely solid too. On the other hand, I've been listening to Isen Torr recently, and Wildchild's riff totally gave off that kind of medieval/Anglo-Saxon England vibe. Seriously tickled my fancy.
In the days of darkness men feared not the sword and the lance
Nor did he fear the beast of fire... He feared...
THE AXEMAN!!

The Earth is covered in ash and our lungs have filled with worms...
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Well, the thing is, I know it's not hard. lol.

It just "feels" hard, because my fingers haven't quite caught up with my brain yet. My brain knows how to sweep, theoretically, but my fingers are still going, "Wtf do we do here?"

I totally know where you're coming from. I still have trouble with the Selkies sweeping solo even though I'm pretty proficient at sweeping. You'll become accustomed to doing it, it just takes time and practice as I'm sure you know.

I also found the three string sweeps that Jeff Loomis does on The River Dragon has Come to be very helpful; in fact, I think those were the first sweeps I ever learned.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Eh, I've listened to a lot of Tad Morose recently so my riff is more akin to that than traditional heavy metal. I wasn't too sure what kind of Heavy/Power metal to write either, lol. From what I've listened to I'd say Wildchild has this round so far though.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
haha don't discount the competition my friend, it is only one riff we can pick so I think it'll be a lot closer than anyone thinks. Yeah I loved Sanitarium's entry and the variety of intervals he used, I demand a tab!

however no one's answered my question, how are we supposed to rate them, a number out of five? and a small review optional or? I'll do it riff by riff on my post. I'm still undecided on what riff I'll pick for the first round.. found a few suitors.
mmmm UnarmedLad I spy with my little eye fancy recording equipment

riff was good too

Last edited by Kytokinesis at Aug 24, 2013,
Hmm, I used a Shure C608 mic, laying on the floor in front of an extremely tiny Marshall MC10CD amp, plugged into the mic in of my laptop. First time I used the mic too.

Thanks! That means a lot to me.
Quote by NosferatuZodd09
haha don't discount the competition my friend, it is only one riff we can pick so I think it'll be a lot closer than anyone thinks. Yeah I loved Sanitarium's entry and the variety of intervals he used, I demand a tab!

Definitely not what I'm trying to do. I was just saying from what I've heard if I were judging these riffs that would be my vote. Probably should have phrased it better, lol.
Quote by NotFromANUS

last.fm
Hey I'm going to have to bow out of the competition, I haven't had any time after work recently and can't foresee having any in the future.

Also the riffs uploaded sound awesome and I don't really want to embarrass myself...
Quote by The Virtuoso
I totally know where you're coming from. I still have trouble with the Selkies sweeping solo even though I'm pretty proficient at sweeping. You'll become accustomed to doing it, it just takes time and practice as I'm sure you know.

Yeah, I know. Just chomping at the bit a little, I guess. lol.

I also found the three string sweeps that Jeff Loomis does on The River Dragon has Come to be very helpful; in fact, I think those were the first sweeps I ever learned.

I'll look those up, thanks.
Well, I think we had a pretty good turnout for the first group, and hopefully the second group can do the same. I'll have my reviews and ratings up later today.
Quote by Senor Kristian
I'd say it should be simple; out of 5 or 10 and whoever has the highest overall score wins, but thats just my opinion.
Quote by NotFromANUS

last.fm
Quote by The Virtuoso
Well, I think we had a pretty good turnout for the first group, and hopefully the second group can do the same. I'll have my reviews and ratings up later today.

I think we're waiting until both groups have uploaded to post reviews?

Not as far as I know, I thought it was week 1: Group 1 posts riffs. Week 2: Group 2 reviews. Week 3: Group 2 posts riffs. Week 4: Group 1 reviews. But we could effectively cut out a week by having weeks 1 and 2 for riff posting from the respecitve groups, then week 3 for reviewing.
Quote by NotFromANUS

last.fm
Quote by Helloween4Ever
Not as far as I know, I thought it was week 1: Group 1 posts riffs. Week 2: Group 2 reviews. Week 3: Group 2 posts riffs. Week 4: Group 1 reviews. But we could effectively cut out a week by having weeks 1 and 2 for riff posting from the respecitve groups, then week 3 for reviewing.

That was my original plan but I believe we've changed it:

Quote by Abomination94
Good point, I didn't think of that. Yeah, everyone write your reviews, decide your votes etc and save them to word or something. Once both groups riffs are uploaded, then we'll post our reviews to this thread.

Yeah, one group writes while the other reviews.

Scoring system is a score out of 5 and a few words of criticism.

Reviews are to be posted to the game thread.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
The Light chokes and dies
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
I have something that I'm going to record tomorrow.
Quote by Senor Kristian
what I'm wondering is where are the reviews lol I've been holding off to see reviews posted so I can sweep through all of them
Last edited by NosferatuZodd09 at Aug 31, 2013,
We're not posting reviews until both groups have finished uploading the riffs. And by that I mean when everyone in group 2 gets their riffs for round one uploaded THEN we will post our reviews.

oh I didn't know that, it wasn't clearly stated I'd say. I thought it was more like group 1 finishes riffs, group 2 immediately reviews, then group two does riffs then group 1 immediately reviews

however both sets of riffs done, then all the reviews will be done, but group 2 only reviews group 1 and viceversa correct?

I'll go do mine now I guess :>
Quote by NosferatuZodd09
but group 2 only reviews group 1 and viceversa correct?

yep

I was going to record with my brother's Carvin and his Mesa Boogie, but apparently that isn't going to happen, so I'm just going to have to record on my crappy Marshall practice amp when I get home.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Hey dudes, I'm away for the next week or so. My recording and reviews will probably be late but I'll get them uploaded as soon as possible.
Pestilent winds
Rotting earth
Fire streaks the skies
Slow decay
Putrid stench
The Light chokes and dies
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
Ave finis!
...In vacuo...
So, I hate to do this to you all but I'm going to have to bow out. My Mesa Boogie broke down and the electricity in my house is fukked for now. It just so happens to be in the rooms where I could record my entries and stuff. So, yeah, unforeseen circumstances. I'll try to join in another time guys. I'll continue to review if I can?
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
Quote by Abomination94
The metal forum is dead these days, a lot of long time regs don't post anymore and nothing much is going on.

...because metal is dead.

Lots of bands, none that stick, but every one praised to the skies.

Spend more time on the eternal stuff.

And encourage blasphemy!
Quote by Conservationist
I won't be happy until you rub your naked buttocks across my face while I fondle your genitals with my hands dipped in butter.

Again.

Oh, hey...your sig links to ANUS.com...
Quote by Conservationist
I won't be happy until you rub your naked buttocks across my face while I fondle your genitals with my hands dipped in butter.

Again.

Best night of my life.

Well, we have 6/13 reviews atm. Lets hope people deliver, because I can easily see this thing crumbling away a bit more each round. Though hopefully after the first round we only have people who are willing to see this thing all the way through (especially since half didn't deliver with recordings haha). When should we set the deadline for the reviews so that we can move on to the next round?
Last edited by Sanitarium91 at Sep 10, 2013,