Page 1 of 2
this finish has bothered me for a while. it's a 4 piece alder strat body i got from japan that started life off as a aria pro ii st-450 or st-500 back in 1977.

honestly not sure what i'll do finish wise. something to see the figure in the alder would be nice. it's got some flame to it so for a 4 piece there is something cool and unique to it.

so i'm open to suggestions as far as finishes go. i have all black pick guard/pup covers/knobs so keep that in mind.

Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 31, 2013,
love FR but kinda want to see the wood.

mineral streaks and figure are strong with this one.

i'm trying a "new" poly stripper.

well it took a couple attempts at scraping this goo out. but after about an hour of it sitting the finish fell apart and came off. it's not pretty but what's left should sand out pretty easily.

in the future i'll probably just use this stuff for the harder to get to places.

maybe it would work better on a finish that's not 36 years old? probably.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Perhaps a nice transparent black stain, or even purple? There's a world of possibilities with nice looking bodies like that.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
yeah I see a vision of trans black wash, sanded back to expose only the grain with clean wood elsewhere.

Then overall purple trans wash burst.

Finished with clear and buffed to the max shine

I love project guitars!
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
black grain filler - purple trans

delicious
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
purple huh?

i was actually thinking orange would be good.

black dye, sand back a bit, orange dye. kinda do a burst with the black but always keeping the wood visible.

i've completed sanding around the edges and there's good news and bad news.

the bad news is some of the old paint did penetrate the wood in spots which may or may not show through the new finish.

the good news is the top and bottom edge pieces have stupid flame that was covered up by the black on the original burst.

i need to make a video to show you the figuring. will post that in a bit.

purple seems cool though it may not show as much of the figure.

any love for a vintage orange?

this video shows some of the places the original finish soaked into the wood. i also try to highlight the mineral streaks and flame going on in the wood. the back has not been sanded after scraping. the sides and back have been. (yes i know i have to heatgun that little bit by the bridge lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0WdCCI6LSs&list=UU-O1kxwYleUonKo5dtLYNfw

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 10, 2013,
Quote by gregs1020
purple huh?

black dye, sand back a bit, orange dye. kinda do a burst with the black but always keeping the wood visible.

i've completed sanding around the edges and there's good news and bad news.

the bad news is some of the old paint did penetrate the wood in spots which may or may not show through the new finish.

the good news is the top and bottom edge pieces have stupid flame that was covered up by the black on the original burst.

i need to make a video to show you the figuring. will post that in a bit.

purple seems cool though it may not show as much of the figure.

any love for a vintage orange?

this video shows some of the places the original finish soaked into the wood. i also try to highlight the mineral streaks and flame going on in the wood. the back has not been sanded after scraping. the sides and back have been. (yes i know i have to heatgun that little bit by the bridge lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0WdCCI6LSs&list=UU-O1kxwYleUonKo5dtLYNfw

Never really liked traditional bursts much, if that's what floats your goat though have at it.

Perhaps a purple/black burst?
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Quote by gregs1020
purple huh?

I do love those sort of finishes, but I think they perhaps work better with a wood with stronger grain, like swamp ash. An orange burst might be good though. Perhaps you could do a 3-tone thing with purple as well?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Aug 10, 2013,

here are some swatches of colors i have. but i can make pretty much any color or order it obviously.

the black one looks pretty sweet.
Yeah, black sounds good
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Black looks fantastic mate, have at it.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Yes Black wash to bring out the grain definitely

Purple was only the vision in my mind which I thought would bring out some of the uniqueness.

If your minds eye sees orange then go for it
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Last edited by Phoenix V at Aug 10, 2013,
That pic in the first post looks like a Rory Gallagher Strat.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I actually rather like that fade on the big square piece too.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
well the wood isn't as figured as those, so they really pop.

i can see having a go at black because if i'm not crazy about it, it will just add some depth to whatever color i go with after it.

this was the orange type finish i was thinking, with darker orange around the edges.

it's easier to burst with dyes (imo) than paint, unless you're an ace with an air gun. i'm not yet, sooooo.
Yeah thats right. Black will highlight grain and add depth. Need to sand it back well so that the all over wash you settle on really comes through

btw thats a nice looking orange. With multiple clear coats it will really come through

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Last edited by Phoenix V at Aug 11, 2013,
saw this today - could do something like this but with more black under it to make it pop.

Same colour as my frankenstrat

It doesn't look bad; I just think that purple might still be more spectacular. Very rare to see a see-through purple strat and it's such a nice colour too. '

Have you thought about some gold hardware?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
yeah i'm not buying any gold anything.

i hate gold hardware, tho it looks great on a korina V.

see through purple could be cool, just not sure i'm feeling it.

we'll see what it looks like once i put some black dye on it. that will be right after i finish the mahogany body. which should be soon.
Yeah I know this is me talking about my perfect strat

Red definitely is nice.

Even just a black dye might turn out awesome
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.

alder, basswood, maple, whatever it is it's decent. put a little grain filler in the extra strap peg holes etc.

will get some dye on it here in a bit.

Sweet.

Shame about the multi-piece body but it will still turn out damn nice.

Damn nice indeed

Have you decided on the stain yet?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
thanks but i really think it looks like ass.

i could put an amber or candy apple red over it and maybe it would come out.

i'm found this color that looks like an aged shell pink...

I really love Fender's sonic blue colour.

hnnnnnnnnnnnngh
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
i'm thinking along these lines without the aging/relic'ing.

(Invalid img)

sonic blue is nice though for sure.
is this as bad as i think? i hit it with sealer and did a sand back with about 300-350 grit.

maybe i'm wrong and a candy apple red color (with no silver undercoat obviously) would look epic?

thoughts?
i hate photographing red.

it always looks too bright with a flash.

i have some wetsanding to do in the morning. (yes the wood is sealed, really well. )

this pic is closest to what it looks like.

the guitar is actually red and not purpl'y pink.

really.
Not a paisley. Dislike.

No, really, it all looks really nice.

"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Sep 1, 2013,

thanks! holy crap big pic. i resized it and it should be 800x600 soon.

that's about as close on my computer to what it looks like to me.

the can cap with the color on it is a lot darker than this, i'm kinda disappoint with how light it actually is i won't lie.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 2, 2013,
i think i am going to try a darker red today if it still looks silly bright.

i'm ok if it hides the black a bit more. subtle is good.

upon further review, i'm going for a darker look. it's just too bright.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 2, 2013,
Page 1 of 2