Hey!
So im looking to buy an amp
i play a fair few generas including metal blues reggae funk . basically a bit of everything so im looking for something very versatile. However i have an line 6 hd 300 so i will be getting the tones from that. i dont know much about amps but i basically just need something loud and stereo. I'm looking to spend about 300 quid happy buying something second hand. I usually just play at home but am going to start gigging so i dont want something unmovable, I think a combo is what i'm looking at. As for guitars i have an epiphone explorer with stock pickups, soon to have Evo 2's. An vintage vhe 100. a hondo strat, and a fresher straighter. I also have a schecter custom 4 stiletto bass. These are the main guitars i use! I live in bradford, west yorkshire.
there are so many amps out there that do all this crazy shnizz so its abit scary XD
hope ive included enough information for some straight up answers, thanks in advance
ammar.
peavey vypyr tube 60.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
i feel like if i buy an amp like that which is very much to do with all the effects it has, i'd be paying alot for all these effects that i already have in my effects pedal, is that just stupid or?
Look for a Tech 21 power engine. They are powered guitar cabs that are specifically made to use with gear like the POD HD that has its own amp models.

There is a B-stock for 307 GBP on www.thomann.de
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
that seems what im looking for, but it doesnt have two speakers so im assuming its mono. previously i have put my effects board into a amplifier i use for my computer that goes into two speakers. the amp had a mono stereo button. when mono i didnt like the tone very much. especially compared to when it was stereo
Quote by ammarsscared
that seems what im looking for, but it doesnt have two speakers so im assuming its mono. previously i have put my effects board into a amplifier i use for my computer that goes into two speakers. the amp had a mono stereo button. when mono i didnt like the tone very much. especially compared to when it was stereo

They make a 2x12 version also, but it will be more expensive than your budget

Most 2x12 combos are mono. To be true stereo you have to have 2 power amps which will be hard to find with your budget.

The Tech 21 sounds really nice, watch some demos on Youtube
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 8, 2013,
thankyou very much id love to hear anyone if they have any cheaper ideas but if not ill just have to wait till i have enough to buy one which isnt ideal but i reckon thats all i got atm!
Even without the effects taken into consideration, the Vyper Tube is a cheap amp. If you don't use the onboard effects, so what?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
well its the same issue is mono. as well as this i just figured maybe i could get something thats generally better but without the effects for the money!
There is an older Crate 2x12 combo that had 2 FX loops with a stereo power section. they are pretty cheap, but would be fine for what you want.

I know a guy that used to use 2 Crate Power Blocks to run a 2x12 Marshall cab in stereo with his L6 POD.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
thats interesting . if i get a valve amp, and use the amp simulators on the effects will it make the tone like the sweet valve tone i always hear about? if so i would preferably like a valve amp!!
The Vyper Tube has the power amp from a 6505 (ie valve) and an analogue solid state preamp The effects are digital but the rest is analogue, including the modelling. For a man on a tight budget they are damn hard to beat.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
No it won't sound like a tube amp, but it will sound closer. The POD HD series is soposed to have really good modeling. I have a POD XT that I use for silent home practice and it sounds much better through any of my amps when I run it through the FX loop
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ammarsscared
well its the same issue is mono. as well as this i just figured maybe i could get something thats generally better but without the effects for the money!

This is a logical thought process that a lot of people have, but in reality it doesn't work that way. There are a lot of people who come here for advice, and vehemently refuse modeling amps, because "they don't want to pay for something they're not going to use", but in reality with your budget and needs, there simply isn't anything better. You're not paying for something you won't use, you're just paying for the best thing you can afford. In the $300 range you pretty much have good modelers on one hand, and terrible SS amps and modelers on the other.

Now I'm not saying that a Vypyr Tube is a good choice for your specific situation, but just explaining that since I've seen it a lot lately.

It sounds like you need to find a pair of powered wedges or something. PA gear is completely out of my scope of knowledge, so I'll leave that thought for someone more knowledgeable about specific models and what not.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X