Im not a absolute beginner, i've been screwing around on guitar for awhile, only really started getting serious now. And i finally got a metronome and I've been practicing this riff at 19bpm, hoping to inch my way up and at the same time completely be able to do it once i get to its 109 bpm actual speed.

A friend of mine told me 19bpm is way too slow cause its alot harder to keep time at slower speed, and i should go to atleast 30, (which ive tried and can do) then inch up from there)

i was hoping to repeat the riff atleast 20 times at 19 bpm and move up 1 bpm per shot i get that right.

So my questions are:

Is my friend right?
And is what im doing overkill?

Thank you
Are you playing 64th notes?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Yeah that's ridiculously slow don't you think?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Thank you all for the responses, i figured it was slow, but i always read to start slow and move up, and seeing as how i just started using metronomes and stuff, i figured why not take it down ALOT, but i see that that wasnt the best way to do it, thank you all so much
you won't get better unless you play at a fast enough speed that simulates the difficulties of your target speed
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
the reason i had stayed at 19 bpm is cause i really couldnt keep time with that pace, i was off by a little at some points and it really got me frustrated.
If you need to slow it down that much to stay in time I dont see a problem.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by davidmechaly12
Im not a absolute beginner, i've been screwing around on guitar for awhile, only really started getting serious now. And i finally got a metronome and I've been practicing this riff at 19bpm, hoping to inch my way up and at the same time completely be able to do it once i get to its 109 bpm actual speed.

A friend of mine told me 19bpm is way too slow cause its alot harder to keep time at slower speed, and i should go to atleast 30, (which ive tried and can do) then inch up from there)

i was hoping to repeat the riff atleast 20 times at 19 bpm and move up 1 bpm per shot i get that right.

So my questions are:

Is my friend right?
And is what im doing overkill?

Thank you

You want to find the fastest you can currently play it comfortably, cleanly, and consistently without making mistakes.

Start by playing the riff through at whatever speed. Try to play it flawlessly seven times in a row. Give your self three strikes on any given speed. If you get seven in a row then turn it up 4bpm. If you can play it through at that speed seven times cleanly turn it up a further 4bpm. Repeat until you reach a speed at which you can not play it cleanly seven times in a row in three attempts. You've just passed your limit. So if you fail at 84bpm then 80 is your max speed and your starting point will be 8bpm below the your max speed.

Practice playing it through again at the starting speed (8bpm below your max). Then turn it up 4bpm and practice at that speed, then turn it up a further 4bpm and practice again, then a further 4bpm and practice again. Then turn it down 8bpm and practice, turn it up 4, practice, up 4 practice, up 4 practice, down 8bpm, up 4, up 4, up 4, down 8 etc etc. If you hit a point at which you fail and just can't play it cleanly drop back down to the starting point. Don't forget to take regular breaks every ten minutes or so.

The following day repeat the process. Your starting point will get higher as you get faster. Practice daily. The idea is to find your limits and then extend them, not play so far within your limits that you won't be pushing yourself.
Si
If you can play it comfortably at say, 30 or 50 bpm then do it. There's a point where youre playing it too slow and not really improving, but if you feel it is beneficial then do it. It can be harder to keep to time at slow speeds but if you can't play it accurately/smoothly at faster speeds then you have to slow it down. Plus its better t be able to play something at any speed than only at the fast speed.
I had to weep.... my metronome doesn't go that low. Was yours blessed by a unicorn or something? On the other hand, there are a few people in this forum who applaud the slow pace learning... I however am not one of them. But do as you like to play the stuff as, in the end, we don't really count anyway... it's you who has to play it.
Last edited by evolucian at Aug 9, 2013,
"Start with slow tempo" doesn't mean that slow. It means what 20T said.

So if you can't play it at full tempo, slow it down and find a tempo you can play the riff easily and then start increasing the tempo. I'm sure you can play it at least at 50bpm. Try it.

And really, playing in that slow tempo just makes it harder.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
The metronome doesn't have to be quarter note clicks.

You should always start slow, but under 40bpm and you're going to be hindered just keeping track of the click. If 40bpm is too fast for something, use the click as 8th notes. Setting the metronome to 40 as 8th notes is the same tempo as 20 at quarter notes.
Are you trying to get 16 notes in 1 click or something lol.

You won't gain a feel for dynamics that way.

If you practise 16th's it means 16 notes in an entire bar, which means 4 notes to a click.

place an accent on every beat.

it's beneficial that you hit the accents, cause most players I taught, When I learned them to hit those, the notes pretty much will align themselves in between, and I don't know why this is.

This is also handy advice for if you ever ventures in the world of 5's and 7's. It's hard to get those in because they fall on random increments of the (implied) puls(es), but when you get the accents right, things will fall into place after a while.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??