Hi all. Ive got a Marshall MA 50 Combo amp which i love alot but when i play solos i cant push the gain of the amp pretty far for smooth playing even when im boosted. So i put in a MXR Gt-OD to boost it through the input after my Cry Baby Wah. It sounds fine and i get my sustain in with little hiss since i only use it for solos but ive heard the TS 9 in multiple demos and i must say it sounds incredible. My concern is how much hiss will there be if i use a TS9 as a boost for solos and maybe some rhythm playing. I do own an MXR smart gate but im a complete noob when it comes to effects loop so i havent bothered trying it. Well i did but my volume went completely low when i activated it LOL. Anyway, will there be much hiss if i use a ts9 as a boost for solos?

For the record i own an Ibanez RG350DX with Di Marzio D'activators and an ESP V200 with EMG 81s and 85.
What settings are you using on your GT-OD?

If your pedal is causing your hiss problem, it wouldn't be very helpful to run a noise gate in your amp's loop - you should run it in front after the problem pedal.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^+1
I use a few different OD pedals and I use a MXR Smart gate to quiet the hiss
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
well i dont have much of a hiss problem with my MXR GT-OD cos i only use it when i wanna solo. otherwise i just use my boost from my amp. its just an extra boost. Im just wondering whether a TS9 would have a hiss issue because im seriously considering buying one.
Quote by NadNaj
well i dont have much of a hiss problem with my MXR GT-OD cos i only use it when i wanna solo. otherwise i just use my boost from my amp. its just an extra boost. Im just wondering whether a TS9 would have a hiss issue because im seriously considering buying one.

It may, or it may not it can depend a lot on your gear that the TS-9 is running into.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You want to get the TS9 to leave always on?

If you're gonna run both, I'd definitely just throw the Smart Gate in the chain. I would do it anyway - you already have it, hiss should be a non-issue for you.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i shy away from the smart gate purely cos if i put it on and if i run the ts9 then channel switching would be a huge issue. if i had my smart gate on and my ts9 boosting then id have to turn all those off and my channel footswitch to change the channel to clean. it just sounds like a hassle, u know what i mean?
Quote by Offworld92
If your pedal is causing your hiss problem, it wouldn't be very helpful to run a noise gate in your amp's loop - you should run it in front after the problem pedal.

Or swap out the carbon resistors for metal film. That's where most of the hiss is coming from. I always think eliminating hiss is preferable to covering it up with a noise gate. I friggin hate noise gates. If I have noise I fix it, I don't hide it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah. I said "**** that noise" to the tap dance a long time ago. I started out with just pedals, sold them all and went all digital, and I'm running a hybrid right now. Analog drive and compression, GT-10 MFX to control and route everything. It's sweet. Does your amp have a 1/4" channel switch jack?

Why would you turn off your gate for channel switching though? It's an always on thing. If it affects your tone ditch it and get a good one. I've been through multiple Boss NS-2s, they please me every time.

Quote by Cathbard
Or swap out the carbon resistors for metal film. That's where most of the hiss is coming from. I always think eliminating hiss is preferable to covering it up with a noise gate. I friggin hate noise gates. If I have noise I fix it, I don't hide it.

A fair and good point, but most people aren't up to that. And at the end of the day, even with ideal components, you can't get rid of all hiss. It's the nature of the beast to a certain extent.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 8, 2013,
thanks everyone for the replies i appreciate it. yeah i do have a 1/4" jack for channel switching. thing bout my noise gate is if i keep it running all the time it really doesnt eliminate my tap dancing channel switching ritual :P. id still have to switch from my channel switching pedal and my OD pedal. which is why tbh i love my marshall cos the distortion is great and i dont need the OD pedal to boost all the time. therefore i get little hiss. just solos for my od pedal.
You can probably use a Boss GT-8/10/100 to control the channel switching of your amp and the routing of your pedals, so you only need to select "Patch 1" or "Patch 2" for your dirty or clean, respectively.

If you want a tip from my pre MFX days, turn off your ODs a second before you channel switch. No one in your audience will notice. I didn't even notice myself, other than the fact that I was conscious of what I was doing.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
thanks alot mate, thats some great tips. im actually a convert from mfx to single pedals. i had an old shitty digitech rp250 and also messed around with a gt8 which was ok but i wasnt too satisfied with my tones. i love the simplicity of just having an amp and a few pedals, although that simplicity will go away once i start getting a bunch of pedals but nonetheless this is probably my favourite setup so far. i think i will get a ts9 just for a different boost taste.
As far as the GTs go, it's about how you use them, IMO. Mine is basically a $500 Reverb + EQ most of the time. I use delay and wah on occasion, and stuff like phaser/tremolo 1% of the time. People don't have very high opinions of them because their dirty amp models suck, but they're so ridiculously flexible that they can be so much more useful than that, if you want. The FX are good.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X