Hey, what's up? I know that this is the most appropriate place for this, so I'll get on with it. I'm really interested in starting up a band and I was wondering if everyone here can read through the ad I typed up and tell me what I can do to improve it. Thanks! (I'll check in the morning since I need to get to bed)

And here foes nothing:

Hello everyone! I’m an 18 y/o guy with 5 years experience of playing guitar (lessons and self-taught). I also have some experience playing with other musicians and jamming out. Some of my main influences are Guns N Roses, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Paramore, The Police, and Paul Gilbert. I am willing to play anything within reason and the only genres I won’t do are “extreme” forms of metal (death, black, etc) since I’m not fond of it and can’t play them. Other than that, I’m pretty open-minded and relaxed person to work with.

With this band, I would like to decide on a few covers to get our feet wet and figure out how compatible we are as musicians. Once we get things worked out, I would like to begin working on original material. I have some songs and ideas ready to go. Other musicians should be able to improvise as well. And I’d also like to book a gig every so often to get exposure and more experience performing. And since I’m working part-time and will be starting school at the end of the month, I won’t be able to put a ton of focus into this as I’d like, but I still want to jam and have fun with this. I would love to have the occasional gig here and there, but I won’t be able to practice (with the band) every day and gig every night.

What I’m Looking for:

- Lead Vocalist (must have own a PA since I don’t own one myself. Might be able to get one, though.)
- Another Guitarist who is proficient at the instrument. I want to be able to have another guy to take the solo every now and then (as you’ll be willing). I don’t any “shredders” that can’t hold a groove and hogs the limelight. Even if you don’t want to solo often, as long as you are able to improvise when needed, you’ll be fine.
- Bassist who can keep a strong groove and “drive” to the song and has the amp to keep up with a 50-watt tube amp. (Back-up vocal are a plus!)
- Drummer who is solid at keeping time and coming up original fills when called for.

Some general things about people interested are: no illegal substance abuse, laid back personalities, mature, a form of transportation, living in Scranton area (for convenience), and able to get together on a weekly/bi-weekly basis.

Please contact me if you’re interested at *email here* to talk about this. Serious guys only and if you only want to jam , that’s fine as well.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Woah. That is WAY too long dude. A lot of the things in your add are things you should be discussing with people after they contact you. The whole second paragraph could be (needs to be) paraphrased down.

People don't need to know you've had experiences "jamming out". Just say you've been playing for five years, have had teaching, and some experience.

The "What I'm Looking For" is a huge turn off too. It should say "Lead vocalist, secondary (not rhythm!) guitarist, bassist, and drummer. Must be competent and have own gear" Don't say you're looking for bass players that have "groove", not looking for guitarist that "shred", those are things you say after being contacted and can determine at tryouts. The more picky you are with your add, the less response you're going to get from it. And who knows, maybe you'll find someone who doesn't fit your description but fits the band perfectly.

Don't take any of that the wrong way, I'm just saying how I would feel as a musician reading that. It just reads like "This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for and EXACTLY what I want this band to be, no exceptions" Again, please don't take that the wrong way. I wish you luck, finding band members can be a real trick.
I noticed a typo
Another Guitarist who is proficient at the instrument. I want to be able to have another guy to take the solo every now and then (as you’ll be willing). I don’t want any “shredders” that can’t hold a groove and hogs the limelight. Even if you don’t want to solo often, as long as you are able to improvise when needed, you’ll be fine.

Although your ad is a bit long and could probably be shortened whilst still having the same meaning. Have you considered joining someone elses' band? It's a lot easier than making your own band. Here are my suggested changes:

Hello everyone! I’m an 18 y/o guy with 5 years experience of playing guitar. I like Guns N Roses, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Paramore, The Police, and Paul Gilbert. I am willing to play anything except “extreme” forms of metal (death, black, etc).

With this band, I would like to start off playing covers then start working on original material. I have some songs and ideas ready to go. Other musicians should be able to improvise as well. And I’d also like to book a gig every so often to get exposure and more experience performing. And since I’m working part-time and will be starting school at the end of the month, I won’t be able to put a ton of focus into this as I’d like, but I still want to jam and have fun with this. I would love to have the occasional gig here and there, but I won’t be able to practice (with the band) every day and gig every night. REPLACE THIS WITH HOW OFTEN YOU WANT TO PRACTICE AND GIG, something like "I want to practice once a week and gig once a month"

What I’m Looking for:

- Lead Vocalist (must own a PA)
- Another Guitarist who can improvise when needed
- Bassist who can keep a strong groove and “drive” to the song and has the amp to keep up with a 50-watt tube amp.
- Drummer who is solid at keeping time and coming up original fills when called for.
Backup vocals are preferable but not necessary.

Some general things about people interested are: no illegal substance abuse, laid back personalities, mature, a form of transportation, living in Scranton area (for convenience), and able to get together on a weekly/bi-weekly basis.

Please contact me if you’re interested at *email here* to talk about this. Serious guys only and if you only want to jam , that’s fine as well.
Umm what's with these life stories in the ads?

Lets be serious here, in your ad you state:

Quote by kilbie
And since I’m working part-time and will be starting school at the end of the month, I won’t be able to put a ton of focus into this as I’d like, but I still want to jam and have fun with this.

So basically you want me to be part of a band that's going to go nowhere. I'm not going to do that, it's a waste of my time.

Here is what you should have TS:

Quote by kilbie
Looking for jam buddies. Any instrument.

In the off-chance that you decide the combination of school and part time work still leaves enough time for a proper band, we'll work from there.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Yeah, I realize that most of it is added bullshit and too long. I'll fix it up since I was practically crashing from tiredness when I wrote it. And yeah, this is practically my first time doing something like this so I needed help from guys who actually do this kind of thing before. I'll definitely work on this and edit it up.

Edit:

I also considered contacting other people but they never reply back. I usually say "Well, I've been playing for 5 years I like such-and-such. Maybe we can meet up and talk things out?" and I get no response back.

Quote by AlanHB
Here is what you should have TS:

Quote by kilbie
Looking for jam buddies. Any instrument.

In the off-chance that you decide the combination of school and part time work still leaves enough time for a proper band, we'll work from there.

I would love to actually do a proper band. I only added that since I don't know how much I actually have to study whilst in college. But thanks, again.
Last edited by aerosmithfan95 at Aug 9, 2013,
Sorry for the double post, but here's the new version I wrote up and fixed. I slimmed down a bit, made it sound less "picky", and overall a bit better.

Hello everyone! I’m an 18 y/o guy with 5 years experience of playing guitar. Some bands I like are Guns N Roses, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Paramore, The Police, and Paul Gilbert. I am willing to play any genre except for “extreme” forms of metal.

With this band, I would like to start off doing covers than move on to original material. I have some songs and ideas ready to go. I would like to get together once a week and possibly gig once a month. I’m looking for a vocalist, secondary guitarist, bassist, and drummer. Each much be competent and have own equipment. If you're looking to jam, that's fine as well.

Some general things about people interested are: no illegal substances, laid back personalities, mature, a reliable form of transportation, living in Scranton area (for convenience), and able to get together on a weekly/bi-weekly basis.

Please contact me if you’re interested at *email here* so we can meet up somewhere to discuss music and what not then we can set a date to jam some time. Serious people only.
Last edited by aerosmithfan95 at Aug 9, 2013,
Quote by aerosmithfan95
I would love to actually do a proper band. I only added that since I don't know how much I actually have to study whilst in college. But thanks, again.

If you really want a band you'll make time.

Your ad is still too long and wafty.

Tell me simply, are you looking for an originals band or a covers band. Don't say both.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
If you really want a band you'll make time.

Your ad is still too long and wafty.

Tell me simply, are you looking for an originals band or a covers band. Don't say both.

I do really want a band. It's just that I'm a bit nervous for college and unsure how time it'll take from me.

And I know it's still on the long side and I always have a problem with that. I personally would want to do an originals band more than anything.
Quote by aerosmithfan95
I do really want a band. It's just that I'm a bit nervous for college and unsure how time it'll take from me.

And I know it's still on the long side and I always have a problem with that. I personally would want to do an originals band more than anything.

It won't eat up every hour of every day. To keep a band running you just need 2 hours on one night to play together.

As for the originals thing, if you want an originals band, don't talk about learning covers. I wouldn't even bother learning covers. I don't understand the point of meeting before jamming either, that's always been a pointless step to me. You can have dinner and a movie, get along great as friends then find out that they can't play an instrument.

Try this on for size:
Guitarist seeking band mates to make original rock band. I'm pretty much into everything except extreme forms of metal. Ideally we'll make some rocking music with cracking hooks and get gigging, with the initial aim of building a local following and pushing it from there.

I'm looking for:
- a vocalist
- second guitar
- bassist
- drummer

You will need to be:
- competent on your instrument/s
- own your own equipment
- have access to your own transport
- able to practice once during the week, and possibly more for gigs as we get them

If this sounds like something you'd be interested in please contact me at *email here* or [MOBILE NUMBER]
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
It won't eat up every hour of every day. To keep a band running you just need 2 hours on one night to play together.

As for the originals thing, if you want an originals band, don't talk about learning covers. I wouldn't even bother learning covers. I don't understand the point of meeting before jamming either, that's always been a pointless step to me. You can have dinner and a movie, get along great as friends then find out that they can't play an instrument.

Try this on for size:

Ok, thanks Alan!

And with the cover things, I thought it would be better to tell the people who are interested that we can settle on like two songs so we can have something to do.

Also, I responded to ad I saw from a bassist that lives in my town We were texting a bit and he seems cool. We're trying to figure out when we can jam. The only thing is from the sound of what he's saying, he seems more interested in just jamming, which I'm fine with. I mean, if he can play an we get along well, maybe I can have him do some original stuff since that's what I really wanna do.
Quote by aerosmithfan95
I also considered contacting other people but they never reply back. I usually say "Well, I've been playing for 5 years I like such-and-such. Maybe we can meet up and talk things out?" and I get no response back.

You can't expect a response from every ad you reply to. Although I think it's polite to send a response to people even if its to say that they're not what your looking for a lot of people don't do this. If you spent a month to three months replying to every ad you saw that looked to be of interest you would probably find a band. A month to three months isn't really that long to be looking for a band if you've never been in a band before. It could easily take just as long to put together your own band (which would actually be more effort). To save time when replying to ads, you could write a standard response and then slightly modify it for each ad you reply to. Also, if the ad has a phone number, you will probably get a better response by ringing them than from emailing them.

Lastly, have you considered playing with significantly older people? I'm not much older than you but I play with people twice my age. If you limit yourself to playing with people within a year or two of your age you'll have a lot less choice and you will probably end up playing with people who are a lot less experienced, ie. a bassist in their mid-thirties could have been playing for 20yrs and have lots of experience getting gigs vs a 21yr old bassist whose been playing 8 years and never played outside their bedroom.
Quote by kilbie
You can't expect a response from every ad you reply to. Although I think it's polite to send a response to people even if its to say that they're not what your looking for a lot of people don't do this. If you spent a month to three months replying to every ad you saw that looked to be of interest you would probably find a band. A month to three months isn't really that long to be looking for a band if you've never been in a band before. It could easily take just as long to put together your own band (which would actually be more effort). To save time when replying to ads, you could write a standard response and then slightly modify it for each ad you reply to. Also, if the ad has a phone number, you will probably get a better response by ringing them than from emailing them.

Lastly, have you considered playing with significantly older people? I'm not much older than you but I play with people twice my age. If you limit yourself to playing with people within a year or two of your age you'll have a lot less choice and you will probably end up playing with people who are a lot less experienced, ie. a bassist in their mid-thirties could have been playing for 20yrs and have lots of experience getting gigs vs a 21yr old bassist whose been playing 8 years and never played outside their bedroom.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying about the reply thing.

And with playing with older people, I haven't considered it but I will try it. Playing with more experienced players will only help my own playing as I see it. I'll probably add that in somewhere and see how it goes.
Quote by Tracii Lee
The more picky you are with your add, the less response you're going to get from it.

... and this is why I personally LIKE to be specific in my ads. I'd rather get three responses from people who would be a good fit than 20 responses that I will eventually have to weed down, and probably wind up with those same three people anyways.

You took out the "must have own PA" for the singer. For most people, that would be a deal-breaker. PA systems are almost always worked out at the band level.

You also did some weeding of your words, which does make it more efficient, which is good.

What I liked was that you were clear about who you are, and what you were looking for, though I have always agreed that a band should focus on covers OR originals, because nobody is going to book you based on "we do a mix of covers and originals." They will book an original band, or they will book a cover band.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Oh, the biggest omission in your ad is a link to let me hear you play.

You've been playing for five years, and have nothing recorded... not even on YouTube with a Webcam, or some cell phone video footage from somewhere?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I kind of agree with my pickiness, Chris (as well as the originals thing). If I get a few responses, I know that they'll be more than likely a good fit for the band in my eyes.

I also have a dvd's worth of footage of me when I played with a few local bands (like 5 recordings and like 5 other times without). They aren't the best quality, but I can try recording me playing something to put up. And besides, I'd have to edit it out to show just one song and upload it which I'm not good with.

On a semi-related note, I answer to an ad I saw from a bassist. We were talking a bit yesterday and we're thinking of jamming to see how things work out between us. He didn't mention if he wants covers or originals but I should ask when I get the chance. I wouldn't mind just jamming with him, but he wants a serious band, I don't think it would work well if we're not on the same wavelength.

Edit: I had a pretty good reasoning to take out the PA system part. Since my dad has been DJing for the past 7 ( or 8?) years now, he has a pretty good system and some backup systems as well. So, if I talk to him, maybe the both of us can work something out with that.
Last edited by aerosmithfan95 at Aug 10, 2013,