I have asked this question a dozen times and no1 can tell me...

Does the kemper "Profile" the amp or capture the Tone and settings that are dialed into the amp?

Im trying to decided if I should purchase the kemper or an AXe FX II. While I love the idea of the kemper I don't see the point of just having profiles that i can't edit completely and change cabs and stuff.
Last edited by Giogiogio4 at Aug 8, 2013,
AFAIK you can edit the gain and EQ of the profile just as if it were a normal amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
AFAIK you can edit the gain and EQ of the profile just as if it were a normal amp.

if you can edit the kemper then why do ppl make a dozen different profiles of each amp?
"High gain", "low gain" and so on. Does the kemper capture the entire amp or the settings that are put in with the ability to slightly mess around with the EQ?
I'm guessing it's because some amps have very different characteristics at different settings, which are probably not replicable inside the Kemper.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
I'm guessing it's because some amps have very different characteristics at different settings, which are probably not replicable inside the Kemper.

That I can understand. Im just a little egh about getting it because i don't want just static presets. I want the entire amp signal and all to edit. I can't see myself using profiles in the mix.

also do the cabs stay stuck with the tone or are they separable? Or does the profile have to be made differently?
Quote by Eppicurt

Yep, exactly.

You can dial in the settings on the Kemper with the high, mids, lows, volume and gain, just like a real amp, but when you profile an amp, it takes a snapshot of the amp exactly the way it sounds, with the settings you have on it. You can tweak from there, but since some amps respond differently to cranking the volume on certain channels, or using a lower gain setting, it's better to profile all the sounds, as it gives you a sound truer to the amp to switch between.

Honestly, Cliff claims that the Axe-FX can do the same thing as the Kemper does on its profiling feature, but the fact of the matter is that it can't. The powerful part about the Kemper is that it sends a sweep of frequencies through the amp and records its response to them, where you refine it is after that process, where you'll play several open chords, or lead lines (if that's more the sound you're going for), which drastically enhances the quality of the profile. The Axe-FX just isn't there yet.

I completely disagree with the quote on Rig-Talk about the Axe being for people to create new tones and the Kemper for those who want to replicate. The Axe-FX is pretty easy to distinguish on most recordings, it's not a "new" sound at all, it's an overdone sound. While there IS profiling on it, for the most part, you're stuck using the built in amps - The Kemper has so many possibilities in it, it's not even funny, and best of all, it's A LOT easier to work with.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The powerful part about the Kemper is that it sends a sweep of frequencies through the amp and records its response to them, where you refine it is after that process, where you'll play several open chords, or lead lines (if that's more the sound you're going for), which drastically enhances the quality of the profile.

^.

What the AXE Fx tone match or whatever that's called do, is copying the eq of the incoming signal and applying it to the amp with the most similar sound.
That's no big deal actually, Logic Pro can do that since version 7.

I agree instead with the statement that the AXE is for people who want to create, and the Kemper for the ones who want to copy. In a thecnical way at least:
The AXE Fx is a very good quality preamp simulator, but no different from the amp emulation plugins you have on your computer, exept for the fact that some may argue that it sounds better.
The kemper instead "copies" the way the amp modifies the signal, and then lets you modify it, but you're then not modifying the way the amp processes the sound - you're modifying the already processed sound, and that's why there are a lot of profiles of the same amp.

Though, thinking about it, you still have a pretty good amp which for everything but metal (not even that, according to some) sounds better and more real, is cheaper, and easier to use.

Though you have less cool pitch effects and routing options, you still can change the cabs the way you want and apply some effects (you can also send actual effects into that) I'd get the Kemper instead of the AXE.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The Kemper profiles are full signal chain snapshots. One of the interesting things about it, is the fact that you can change cabs. Which makes you wonder how they figure out how to eliminate the original mic'd cab from the profiling session!

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either unit. Both have great potential for amazing tones. In my case, the KPA was much cheaper (bought before the price increase). And I didn't need the crazy signal chain routing options from the AxeII. For the most part, my tweaked profiles have a clean boost, amp stack & cab plus a slight amount of reverb. With phaser, wah and/or delay when needed. Even my pixie dusted clean tones (mark V and jc120) have spare effect blocks after the compressor, chorus, delay and reverb.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
The thing is that I want something that sounds good. it doesn't have to be dead on. I see the whole Axe vs real thing argument to be redundant. Just because i can't make a Mesa sound like a Marshall doesn't mean the axe or kemper are bad. I view each unit as their own amp with their own sounds. They just happen to be inspired by this and that amp.

I'm a person who likes layering guitar sounds and trying different things in reaper. So I never know where my sound or how it will sound in the mix. I have Redwire impulses and such and love having each part of the signal chain open. I still love the sound of the Kemper and all but I just don't like the idea of having to rely on some tone some guy dialed in elsewhere. I want the cab,amp and effects to all be separate. I want to be able to use my own impulses. I seen multiple times that you can't separate them or use your own. So whats the point of running a snapshot of a amp and cab through another cab. or using a snapshot of a Amp alone when you can't really change the settings when you run it through your own cab?

It's either going to be a Kemper and a jem Jr
a Axe FX 2 or a Eleven rack,Pickups and a Fishman midi pickup system.
I find that with all DSP-units, it just sounds as good as you make it sound. I've heard 11R's and Pod HD's sound amazing through the cheapest PA's you can imagine and I've heard high end units such as the Axe FX and Kemper sound mediocre at best through high end PA-systems. The other way around also, of course.

Every unit has strengths and weaknesses, then you should just decide which one plays best to your own strength's and weaknesses.

Just my 2 cents.
Quote by I K0nijn I
I find that with all DSP-units, it just sounds as good as you make it sound. I've heard 11R's and Pod HD's sound amazing through the cheapest PA's you can imagine and I've heard high end units such as the Axe FX and Kemper sound mediocre at best through high end PA-systems. The other way around also, of course.

Every unit has strengths and weaknesses, then you should just decide which one plays best to your own strength's and weaknesses.

Just my 2 cents.

That's my dilemma. Whenever the units are compared it's always a Tone vs Tone in the videos.

I want to know how each functions in a real situation. Say I want to record something and layer some guitars. Would I be able to dial back the tones a bit with the Kemper? Take down the gain and bass a little bit or more or am I stuck with whatever tone some no name uploaded to the web? Am I able to turn off the Cab section of any preset of the kemper or even swap the ones that I do have around?

I just want a tone that i can change other than a simple EQ in a daw. Record direct and use through a sweet pair of speakers whenever I feel like jamming and pissing off the neighbors.

Lastly I want something that will last me years into the future and not take over a year of knob turning to finally get a good tone. Cleans, Distorted hell even plug in a acoustic guitar or classical if i needed to.

( does the axe fx 2 have a phantom power jack? )

I can get a Kemper (toaster version ) for around 1500$ and that's a huge difference compared to 2200$ when they are both awesome tone wise. Effect wise I tend to just use reverb,delay,comp,eq i'm not too great when it comes to those crazy effects.
Last edited by Giogiogio4 at Aug 9, 2013,
^ It sounds like an Axe 2 would be better for you. You don't record a line out from the head to the Kemper, it captures the final sound, the whole chain as I think someone above said before. If you want every piece to be modular you'd be better with an Axe, as it's way more like a traditional DSP.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
^ It sounds like an Axe 2 would be better for you. You don't record a line out from the head to the Kemper, it captures the final sound, the whole chain as I think someone above said before. If you want every piece to be modular you'd be better with an Axe, as it's way more like a traditional DSP.

I know! The more I read about either units the more I want one or the other. I might end up going with the Kemper ( since I can get one for 1500$ or so ) and using the extra cash to purchase some pickups and cables, Perhaps a mic or 2.