What do you call it and where do you find more of it?

I still havent even got my first guitar yet but i'm trying to get an idea of what i'd like to learn to play . I also enjoy prince, stevie wonder, even maybe some love rollercoaster, maybe some disco...
I found one recommendation to play superstitious on the guitar and i think that's a marvelous idea.

But that's all a bit older stuff - i do think i'd be happier with a slightly rockier version of the funk than the pure funk. Guitar by the way. Not bass.

Broader question - it seems like there's tons of bass players who ask about funk and playing funk but it also seems that guitar players are relatively scarce. Is the funk hard to play? Is it not as interesting?
I ask because i want to play something that complements my best friend's playing style. He's a bass player and he like, grooves and riffs and i'd like to try to help him bring out his inner flea some day.

I hope i explained all of that reasonably well. I'm not the best communicator.
Quote by paul.housley.7
What do you call it and where do you find more of it?

You might want to be a bit more specific than asking how to sound like a whole album.

Quote by paul.housley.7
Broader question - it seems like there's tons of bass players who ask about funk and playing funk but it also seems that guitar players are relatively scarce. Is the funk hard to play? Is it not as interesting?
I ask because i want to play something that complements my best friend's playing style. He's a bass player and he like, grooves and riffs and i'd like to try to help him bring out his inner flea some day.

It's certainly not any harder than anything else. It's just not really massively fashionable right now, especially not on these forums. I'm not entirely convinced it was ever really that popular among guitarists; most guitarists have always seemed to be much more in the rock and blues camp.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Buy a Squier strat and an amp that has a distortion channel and you're away!
@Jw - i got a mia strat i can borrow. :-)

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You might want to be a bit more specific than asking how to sound like a whole album.

It's certainly not any harder than anything else. It's just not really massively fashionable right now, especially not on these forums. I'm not entirely convinced it was ever really that popular among guitarists; most guitarists have always seemed to be much more in the rock and blues camp.

More specific than that? Funky monks, suck my kiss, give it away.
Try not to get too hung up on this, because you won't be able to just pick up a guitar and start playing thins kind of music, or even learning it. You've got a good few months where you're going to be going through the basics, and whilst it won't be the most exciting of times it's vital you give yourself a solid foundation on which to build when it comes to the long term.

I'd say listen to some Parliament and the Ohio Players seeing as they did the original Love Rollercoaster but just keep in mind that it's going to be a while before playing that kind of music is a realistic goal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by paul.housley.7
More specific than that? Funky monks, suck my kiss, give it away.

What are you trying to replicate about the sound? Style, tone, songwriting? There's a lot that goes in to a song. It's quite possible that what you're thinking of doesn't even have anything to do with the guitar in a band like RHCP.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
tbh the first few months for me were my favorite....ripping power chords and making little riffs was wicked awesome....learning scales ain't as bad as you might think either
Quote by steven seagull
Try not to get too hung up on this, because you won't be able to just pick up a guitar and start playing thins kind of music, or even learning it. You've got a good few months where you're going to be going through the basics, and whilst it won't be the most exciting of times it's vital you give yourself a solid foundation on which to build when it comes to the long term.

I'd say listen to some Parliament and the Ohio Players seeing as they did the original Love Rollercoaster but just keep in mind that it's going to be a while before playing that kind of music is a realistic goal.

Yeah that's right. Parliament is cool. I just thought - where did it go from there?

I'm not super informed about music so all i can think of is like, jamiroquai, prince.... uh... i think i'm forgetting a few but my brain is a little fried right now. (I just got down from doing 3 hours of maintenance on an overhead crane and it's like, 100 degrees up there)

@ zaphod - i do think that a lot of what i like about that album is the way flea plays, but i also think i admire the way he and frusciante sound when they play together.

@ brett - yeah i think that's what i want too. I have lots of other interests and i have a history of getting uptight about doing things "properly" In all honesty the main reason why i'm interested in learning the guitar is because i'd like to see what it feels like for once in my life to be totally hedonistic about something.