Sheriff Joe Arpaio issues mandate that police must carry AR-15s at all times.

Page 1 of 6
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/09/joe-arpaio-ar-15s_n_3731487.html

He also says that he wants police officers to fight crime when they're off duty as well. Btw if you don't know who Joe Arpaio is, he's the sheriff in Arizona that's been using the police force to discriminate against Hispanics and is also a strong believer that Obama's birth certificate is a fake.

So what do you think pit? Would you be okay with seeing police officers walk down the street with an Assault rifle slung around their back?
Yay for the police entering into an arms-race!
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.

This man was elected
five times
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Of course I should've known that the British UGer's would be the first to post in this thread. Clearly you all are just jealous.
Yeehaw let's shoot up dem taco-eaters!

That sounds so stupid.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
lol this will be funny for brits but for americans who know joe, it's pretty unsurprising. he's a real gun nut if there ever was one, and he's got quite a unique track record.

he once demanded that his force set up traffic stops to search cars for drugs, not realizing that that's completely unconstitutional
As long as they pay them for all the extra crime fighting. Their job is already demanding enough.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
He's the worst thing in America right now
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
"I want all my deputies to be armed with the greatest firepower available 24 hours a day," Arpaio said.

That doesn't seem entirely necessary
He's been playing too many videogames.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
okay so i don't know much about guns, but doesn't it seem more advantageous to be carrying a 9mm pistol than an AR-15? the bullet itself is basically a .22 right? obviously there is more powder in that huge round and the rifle is obviously more accurate, but does that really outweigh having to wield an assault rifle? isn't a holstered pistol just so much more convenient?
Quote by Eastwinn
okay so i don't know much about guns, but doesn't it seem more advantageous to be carrying a 9mm pistol than an AR-15? the bullet itself is basically a .22 right? obviously there is more powder in that huge round and the rifle is obviously more accurate, but does that really outweigh having to wield an assault rifle? isn't a holstered pistol just so much more convenient?

They probably carry both. They could probably have it in the car like a lot of other bigger weapons. Also, I've learned to not use "assault weapons" since I don't know much about guns.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Over here in civilisation out police don't carry guns at all.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by BladeSlinger
They probably carry both. They could probably have it in the car like a lot of other bigger weapons. Also, I've learned to not use "assault weapons" since I don't know much about guns.

well it's a rifle, and my limited knowledge tells me that those are generally much larger and more cumbersome than a pistol. obvious they could carry both, but i would suspect that the pistol would be sufficient in any situation except a very tense shoot out.

gun people please correct me if i'm wrong
Quote by Eastwinn

Depends on the situation. A handgun will always be more convenient, but not always the best choice.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Not carrying guns has its serious disadvantages as well. What if a suspect is armed and the police running after him isn't.
Quote by Arby911
Depends on the situation. A handgun will always be more convenient, but not always the best choice.

how often do you think an AR-15 would be a better choice? i personally can only hazard to guess a few situations.

ignoring situations where swat is immediately called.
Quote by FearMyLightning
I'm starting a militia. No more thinking about it.

Can I join? Start me off as a First Lieutenant.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Pffft give me a break, don't act like that's some cutting edge policy. Brits have been against arming police for almost two centuries, stemming from their fear of police oppression. In a way its a similar sentiment that led to our own 2nd amendment, but the outcome in reverse. And even still, every one of your police stations has a firearms unit. And I've seen armed officers while visiting the UK at airports, other high traffic areas, etc.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by Carnivean
Pffft give me a break, don't act like that's some cutting edge policy. Brits have been against arming police for almost two centuries, stemming from their fear of police oppression. In a way its a similar sentiment that led to our own 2nd amendment, but the outcome in reverse. And even still, every one of your police stations has a firearms unit. And I've seen armed officers while visiting the UK at airports, other high traffic areas, etc.

I'm sure Paddy will appreciate the UK history lesson given that he wasn't taking about Britain when he said 'civilisation'.

And fwiw armed units are the exception in the UK.
he should replace police cars with tanks while he's at it
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I'm sure Paddy will appreciate the UK history lesson given that he wasn't taking about Britain when he said 'civilisation'.

And fwiw armed units are the exception in the UK.

Ireland then? Scotland? Those two nations do not arm their police for the same centuries-old reasons as Britain.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
As a "gun guy" (not one the insane ones, mind you), I'll answer the question about the AR-15 v.s. 9mm pistol.

Yes, the pistol is much more convenient.

No, in an average situation a police officer will not need a rifle designed for use on battlefields in active war zones.

The main advantage of an assault rifle like the AR-15 over a pistol is that it's much more accurate at a much farther range than pistol. It's also capable of holding more ammunition, which is extremely valuable if that officer found himself in a gun fight.

While it is true that an AR-15 only fires a .22, the round is also traveling much faster, and is capable of penetrating virtually any body armor a typical civilian would likely be able to obtain. Despite the common belief that it isn't as deadly as a larger round like a 9mm, it's long, narrow shape causes it tumble and break apart in the body, meaning that in most cases it causes severe internal injuries; the .22 is often the preferred bullet of a hitman, partially for this reason.

I know a few different police forces already assign AR-15s to officers. They don't walk around with them strapped on their backs, though - that's why this seems like news to a lot of people. They keep them in the trunk of their squad car, along with all the other cumbersome gear they have.

Jeez, people...
As long as they aren't 360 quick scoping and didn't fuck my mom last night then I don't care.

OT: Pretty much nobody in the US needs an AR for defensive purposes. Unless you're fending off a wave of zombies and you can't find the pack-a-punch machine.

I made way too many CoD references in that.
Quote by Eastwinn
how often do you think an AR-15 would be a better choice? i personally can only hazard to guess a few situations.

ignoring situations where swat is immediately called.

I can think of several, and I'm of the 'better to have and not need' school of thought.

I don't really see a problem with this and in fact know of several other departments with similar policies.

I think every officer should have a sidearm, shotgun and rifle at their disposal as necessary.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Carnivean
Ireland then? Scotland? Those two nations do not arm their police for the same centuries-old reasons as Britain.

Yeah I think Scotland is probably my favourite part of England for that reason.
Quote by Skullivan
As long as they aren't 360 quick scoping and didn't fuck my mom last night then I don't care.

OT: Pretty much nobody in the US needs an AR for defensive purposes. Unless you're fending off a wave of zombies and you can't find the pack-a-punch machine.

I made way too many CoD references in that.

Bro, you just need a little Revive.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by Arby911
I can think of several, and I'm of the 'better to have and not need' school of thought.

I don't really see a problem with this and in fact know of several other departments with similar policies.

I think every officer should have a sidearm, shotgun and rifle at their disposal as necessary.

This is what they do in Kansas. Every cop has a pistol and every squad car has a rifle and a shotgun. They rack them vertically in the space where the center console is so you can see the weapons' silhouettes through the windows.

I'm all for giving police officers the best. Maybe the guys who ran around for 20 minutes after murdering that British soldier would have been subdued quicker if responding officers had brought a gun.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Aug 9, 2013,
Quote by Ssargentslayer
But theres no war yet? Seems like hes jumping the gun.

There will be cuz the south is gonna rise again.
Quote by Steyr9001
As a "gun guy" (not one the insane ones, mind you), I'll answer the question about the AR-15 v.s. 9mm pistol.

Yes, the pistol is much more convenient.

No, in an average situation a police officer will not need a rifle designed for use on battlefields in active war zones.

The main advantage of an assault rifle like the AR-15 over a pistol is that it's much more accurate at a much farther range than pistol. It's also capable of holding more ammunition, which is extremely valuable if that officer found himself in a gun fight.

While it is true that an AR-15 only fires a .22, the round is also traveling much faster, and is capable of penetrating virtually any body armor a typical civilian would likely be able to obtain. Despite the common belief that it isn't as deadly as a larger round like a 9mm, it's long, narrow shape causes it tumble and break apart in the body, meaning that in most cases it causes severe internal injuries; the .22 is often the preferred bullet of a hitman, partially for this reason.

I know a few different police forces already assign AR-15s to officers. They don't walk around with them strapped on their backs, though - that's why this seems like news to a lot of people. They keep them in the trunk of their squad car, along with all the other cumbersome gear they have.

Jeez, people...

As a self-styled 'gun guy' you might try to not be so....wrong...?

The AR-15 is not designed for and has never been used on a battlefield in a war zone by any recognized military. It is also not an assault rifle.

Civilians have access to the same threat classes of body armor as anyone else, it's not a restricted item.

.223 bullets do NOT 'tumble'. That's an age-old myth perpetuated by the early testing of the M-16 when the rifling twist rate was insufficient to stabilize the round and hasn't been the case for over 3 decades.

The .22 (long rifle, an ENTIRELY different round) has been used in professional hits because it's very easy to quiet, sufficiently powerful at close range and the soft lead used in the bullet make it nearly impossible to get a ballistics match.

I do agree with your last paragraph. and your listed advantages (although you missed one, superior penetration).
Charles Darwin
Quote by Local666Union
what the ****
how did this guy get elected?

He gets the job done and the only people that are really bothered by him are criminals and those who coddle them.
Charles Darwin
Quote by WaterGod
There will be cuz the south is gonna rise again.

Thought this post was making fun of the South.
Sees the SEC usertitle.
Not sure if serious.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie