Moving into the Netherlands because of studies, and as such, leaving all my gear behind. I wanna buy a strat, I'll go for used, have about 500 euros to spare. It will eventually be coupled with an Axe FX unit. My question to you, what's the crash course into Fender models, what could I get for that money, and what should I expect? The sounds I'm after, well, I'm loads into Frusciante and David Gilmour and overall the strat sound, and why not, the looks. Thanks in advance, UG's only Romanian.

Edit:
I know nothing about strat models and the such.
Quote by adyhendrixc
Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? No, but its sterile and I like the taste.
Last edited by Eklips at Aug 9, 2013,
How to recognise different types of strat from quite a long way away

Number 1

The strat

Number 1

The strat

Number 1

The strat

Number 2

The strat

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Would you prefer a more vintage-spec strat or more modern spec?

It's hard to advise on used prices since I don't know what the used market is like in the Netherlands, but I'm guessing you should easily be able to get a Mexican one (probably one of the classic series for what you want), maybe even a non-export Japanese-made strat if you're lucky.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 9, 2013,
Market in the Netherlands, Groningen to be specific. I like the more vintage stuff. Thanks for the info, mate.
Quote by adyhendrixc
Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? No, but its sterile and I like the taste.
yep sorry I just noticed now

Yeah the classic series is more vintage in style, so are the Japanese ones. I figured that's what you'd want for the tones you were after, but it doesn't hurt to be sure. EDIT; you also have to be careful with the japanese fenders, because the non-export ones tend not to be as good. they tend to have basswood bodies and less good hardware and electronics.

If you're willing to look at other brands, the Japanese-made Tokais are normally pretty nice if you can find them (though you have to be careful, as there are also cheaper, not-as-good, non-japanese ones which unscrupulous sellers may try to pass off as Japanese) and are often a bit cheaper than the Japanese Fenders. At times they've made Fenders for Japan too (though I don't think they were the main manufacturer Fender has used).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 9, 2013,
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
How to recognise different types of strat from quite a long way away

Number 1

The strat

Number 1

The strat

Number 1

The strat

Number 2

The strat

Sorry, couldn't resist.

"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Keep 'em coming, boys.
Quote by adyhendrixc
Quote by Eklips
Moving into the Netherlands because of studies, and as such, leaving all my gear behind. I wanna buy a strat, I'll go for used, have about 500 euros to spare. It will eventually be coupled with an Axe FX unit. My question to you, what's the crash course into Fender models, what could I get for that money, and what should I expect? The sounds I'm after, well, I'm loads into Frusciante and David Gilmour and overall the strat sound, and why not, the looks. Thanks in advance, UG's only Romanian.

Edit:
I know nothing about strat models and the such.

they have way too many models of fenders now. it used to be The Stratocaster, there was only one and it was made in 'merica.

i think it was about the early/mid 80's they started making guitars in other countries (mainly japan at first). by the 90's or so they shifted most the foreign market over to mexico.

up to that time you had imported guitars and domestic guitars, most of the american ones offered the 'standard' model and a maybe a 'special' or 'custom' model that offered upgrades with a handful of limited edition reissues or special versions offered every other year or so.

now-a-days there are a TON of fender versions out there, everything ranging from handmade custom shop to foreign beginner models. way too many to give advice on, they range in nationality and options so find one you bond with and buy it.

if you are looking to save some cash you can probably find a really nice used strat on craig's list or at a local shop.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 9, 2013,
You would probably want to look at the American Standard line, since that is going to be your essential American-made Strat. Pickup configuration (HSS vs. SSS) and fingerboard wood (maple vs. rosewood) is going to be the main things you will have to consider. I think you could easily find one for around your budget.
Well, from what I've looked into so far, the MIA standard strats are indeed pretty sweet. Problem is, don't think I could find one for around 500 euros used. In all eventuality, I could resort to a MIM standard strat. Thanks for the info, guys.
Quote by adyhendrixc
You look hard enough, i bet you can find a used American Standard for 500 euros. IF not, get a Mexican for 250-300 euros and use the rest to upgrade the shit out of it. New tuners, new bridge maybe, new pickups. Strats are insanely easy to upgrade, they're like taking apart and putting back together Legos haha. For 500 euros you could upgrade a Mex to the point where it's at least as good as an MIA.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I've seen Ash Lite MiK Strats in Beligum and the Netherlands go around for 300 to 400 euros.. They're well built and sound good.. Try look into them?

Otherwise you'll probably end up with a Japanese, Korean or Mexican Strat for that price.. And like other guys also said; try Tokai guitars, they're also nice!

Another note: try G&L?
I can't see you getting a used USA strat for 500 euros (but i could be wrong)- new prices on the standard are now around the £1000 mark (~1200 euros or so). Even the special is around £700 new, and you're normally doing very well if you get 50% off the new price for used guitars (especially if they're in good condition).

Also it's probably worth pointing out that the american standard and special are more modern types of strat. You can overexaggerate the differences, of course, they still sound like a strat, but if you do want a vintage-style strat, with the american ones you have to go up to the reissues, which are even more expensive.

Quote by Lavatain

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 10, 2013,
I'll probably get a used MIM and mod the hell out of it with the rest of the money. I've seen used for around 350 or so, could use the rest to buy some BKP, maybe raise my budget and modify the bridge/tuners or whatever. From what I've read, the neck is the same in both the MIM and MIA, some differences in the truss-rod or something. I dunno, while I do like the vintage tone, I also don't want to pidgeon-hole myself into a single sound, I wouldn't mind being versatile. I could even go HSS for the hell of it, Aftermath in the bridge, Sinner in the mid and an Irish Tour in the neck. https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=strats for refference. Thanks again for the awesome info, guys.
Quote by adyhendrixc
i'm not sure i'd cheap out on the guitar so i could put boutique pickups into it. I'd rather have the better guitar (and then you can always upgrade the pickups later... plus the pickups in the dearer fenders should be pretty good, anyway, you might not need to upgrade them; you also don't have to go to BKP prices to get nice handwound pickups).

when i say about the vintage versus modern thing, that doesn't really affect the tone that much (it does a little, but not that much). It's more the playability- the vintage-style ones only have 21 frets, vintage radius (more curved fretboard which can fret out on big bends), small frets, 6-point vintage-style tremolo etc. The more modern spec ones have 22 frets, flatter radius, bigger frets and more modern 2-point tremolo.

Of course, fender has so many models that there are some models with specs in between those two extremes as well.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, the thing is, MIM vs MIA is almost a double the price difference, I'm fairly confident I'd get a better sounding guitar if I'd mod a MIM. The neck shouldn't be all to different, as I've said, I've read they're the same in the both models, so the playability shouldn't differ too much. Then again, they're both standard strats, they've got good build quality. Anyway, I'll investigate the matters further, I'm flying over to the Netherlands on monday, I'll check some people out, see what prices I could get. I'll have to get my hands on both and check out whichever I like more and whether the price difference could be worth it. I also liek the BKPs c: You know any alternative boutiques PUs I could check out?
Quote by adyhendrixc
i'd have said the MIM necks were a fair bit different to the USA ones. the profiles normally are different, plus the MIMs have 21 frets.

personally i'd try to get a japanese one (non export) as a nice middle ground, but that's just me.

there are loads of cheaper handwound pickups- off the top of my head, catswhisker (england), oil city (England), MoJo (in northern ireland- there's a more expensive mojo in england ), BG pickups (USA but cheapish worldwide postage), High Order (USA), Leosounds (Germany), Jess Loureiro (spain).

I haven't tried any of those, I should probably point out
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Eklips
I'll probably get a used MIM and mod the hell out of it with the rest of the money. I've seen used for around 350 or so, could use the rest to buy some BKP, maybe raise my budget and modify the bridge/tuners or whatever. From what I've read, the neck is the same in both the MIM and MIA, some differences in the truss-rod or something. I dunno, while I do like the vintage tone, I also don't want to pidgeon-hole myself into a single sound, I wouldn't mind being versatile. I could even go HSS for the hell of it, Aftermath in the bridge, Sinner in the mid and an Irish Tour in the neck. https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=strats for refference. Thanks again for the awesome info, guys.

Lol it doesn't matter what you put into it. It's a Strat, it's going to be one of the most versatile guitars money can buy. That was one of the original points of it
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Eklips
Well, the thing is, MIM vs MIA is almost a double the price difference, I'm fairly confident I'd get a better sounding guitar if I'd mod a MIM. The neck shouldn't be all to different, as I've said, I've read they're the same in the both models, so the playability shouldn't differ too much. Then again, they're both standard strats, they've got good build quality. Anyway, I'll investigate the matters further, I'm flying over to the Netherlands on monday, I'll check some people out, see what prices I could get. I'll have to get my hands on both and check out whichever I like more and whether the price difference could be worth it. I also liek the BKPs c: You know any alternative boutiques PUs I could check out?

The necks in the MIM and MIA strats are by no means the same. They do feel different. I'm not a big fan of the smaller, MIM necks. Also, the rolled edges in the MIA necks make them feel especially comfortable. That said, the difference in quality between the two is not as large as the price tag would indicate.

As far as other boutique pickups go... I like Seymour Duncan Surfers, Lollar blondes and Don Mares.
Quote by Dave_Mc

there are loads of cheaper handwound pickups- off the top of my head, catswhisker (england), oil city (England), MoJo (in northern ireland- there's a more expensive mojo in england ), BG pickups (USA but cheapish worldwide postage), High Order (USA), Leosounds (Germany), Jess Loureiro (spain).

The Creamery (UK) are worth looking at, as well as Vintage Vibe, Lollar and Rio Grande- all USA.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
^ oh yeah I mean there are absolutely tons of options. I was just listing the cheaper ones since it would leave him more money to get a better guitar.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gumbilicious
they have way too many models of fenders now. it used to be The Stratocaster, there was only one and it was made in 'merica.

i think it was about the early/mid 80's they started making guitars in other countries (mainly japan at first). by the 90's or so they shifted most the foreign market over to mexico.

up to that time you had imported guitars and domestic guitars, most of the american ones offered the 'standard' model and a maybe a 'special' or 'custom' model that offered upgrades with a handful of limited edition reissues or special versions offered every other year or so.

now-a-days there are a TON of fender versions out there, everything ranging from handmade custom shop to foreign beginner models. way too many to give advice on, they range in nationality and options so find one you bond with and buy it.

if you are looking to save some cash you can probably find a really nice used strat on craig's list or at a local shop.

Fender designed the strat in 1954, the telecaster had already been out a few years. That said with all these models it makes it easier to give advice because they offer more models to cover more players needs.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Honey Burst
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4