What would be the recommended Les Paul copy (I don't care about the brand, as long as the guitar is good) for around 300-400$? Bought brand new. The tone I'm going for is punchy thrashy-deathy metal. Pantera, Lamb of God, the likes... I've been looking around for weeks now but since I am pretty much clueless as far as specs go, I'd like to ask for an opinion before I incinerate my bank account. Thank you.
In that price range you can get a nice Epiphone Les Paul for affordable copies I really wouldn't waste my time anywhere else simply because the Epiphone ones are built to the same specs as a real Gibson, just in Korea. There are tons of brands out there which would be just as acceptable but I personally owned a Epiphone Les Paul and only sold it because I bought a real Gibson Les Paul, it was a great guitar that I had absolutely no issues with.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
As someone who's very picky about LP's and a Gibson Purist, I've always found the LTD EC series to be my second choice in guitars with similar shape and specs. I find them to sound and play much better than any Epi LP I've come across.
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
Agile>epiphone
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Agile and SX are very good copies for much cheaper. I'd also recommend them over Epiphone in sound alone. I have NEVER played an Epi lefty LP that I liked; Dots are another story. Tokai and Ibanez come to mind, but good luck finding one.
well yeah they have custom epis that cost a grand. but as far as a agiles al goes they ae very nice and they even make slim neck models. own one. decent. the les paul styles are just very heavy its like over twice as heavy as my ltd.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by ne14t
In that price range you can get a nice Epiphone Les Paul for affordable copies I really wouldn't waste my time anywhere else simply because the Epiphone ones are built to the same specs as a real Gibson, just in Korea.

Well, in China now.

Regardless I'd still recommend Epiphone.
Quote by Celestus
What would be the recommended Les Paul copy (I don't care about the brand, as long as the guitar is good) for around 300-400$? Bought brand new. The tone I'm going for is punchy thrashy-deathy metal. Pantera, Lamb of God, the likes... I've been looking around for weeks now but since I am pretty much clueless as far as specs go, I'd like to ask for an opinion before I incinerate my bank account. Thank you.

If you stretch it to $500, you can snag a nice MIJ Burny, Edwards, Tokai, Greco, Epi, Orville LP, all with the proper headstocks.

Lots of good suggestions, but:

I'd like to ask for an opinion before I incinerate my bank account. Thank you.

If $400 really is that big an expense to you, you really should go used. You'll have all kinds of options.

For example, here's a search I did at Music-Go-Round for electric guitars, $300-400:

http://www.musicgoroundfortworth.com/search.aspx?q=&z=76109&cid=1&scid=161&l=1&d=9999&min=300&max=400&c=100&p=1&ob=4&obd=2&clearance=0

At 100 per page, there are 40+ pages of guitars in that price range. In the first few pages, I saw multiple Epis, Peaveys, LTDs, Deans, Godins, Gretsches, Washburns, Hagstroms, Vintages, Hamers, Michael Kellys, Ibanezes, Gibson MMs and PRS LP-style solidbody singlecuts.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 10, 2013,
Some interesting used options from Elderly Instruments:

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-17928.htm
http://elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-18085.htm
http://elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-17857.htm
http://elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-18097.htm

My gut tells me the Tradition with DiMarzios or the Ibanez 7-string may be strong contenders...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 10, 2013,
Well, I forgot to mention that I live in middle Europe, so the selection of used guitars is much, much smaller, and the prices here are higher than in the US. Also I live in an economically weaker country, so 400$ to me is the same as roughly 1000$ to US residents. Last, but not least, me being a university student, I find it really hard to earn money, so yeah, 400$ is a considerable amount.

I've been considering the ESP LTD EC-330 one, how does it fare against similar price Epis? ESP is largely known for metal-styled guitars, that's why I feel safer picking one of theirs. (yes, I know they're not the only ones)
Agile AL-2000 or AL-3000. If you're going to go for an LTD EC, try and get the highest number you can. EC-1000s are excellent instruments and you can usually find them used around $500-$600. I know it's out of your range, but if you can save up the extra dough, it'll be well worth it.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
The Agile AL-3100 Bound Black caught my eye, but the shipping costs 150$... I cant find any store that sells them in Europe. Am I blind?
Try calling Agile and see if they'll ship it factory direct.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by iamcline
Agiles are solid, but the right Epiphone will trump it.

If you're in the US and you're spending the money you have to spend, the Agile will be the way to go and no Epiphone for that money will even come close. Only someone who really has no experience with Agiles at all would make the above statement. I like epis, don't get me wrong, but on a dollar for dollar basis, the Agiles are better guitars.

You'll be looking at either the AL-2000 (around $225 plus shipping plus case) with a rosewood f/b, plastic inlays and single binding on the body, or the AL-3010SE, around $300 (plus plus), which has an ebony board and real MOP inlays (I think). My money would go with the 3100 or the 3001 (depending on whether you want abalone or MOP inlays) at around $425, but that's a bit out of your budget.
I have contacted Rondo Music via email and now I'll just wait. I understand that Agile AL-3100 Bound Black for 612$ is a pretty dumb idea, right?
Quote by Celestus
I have contacted Rondo Music via email and now I'll just wait. I understand that Agile AL-3100 Bound Black for 612$ is a pretty dumb idea, right?

Living in Europe, I would not advise Agile at all. If there is something wrong with the guitar you are screwed.

Vintage guitars (the brand) is a good solid choice in EU for LP type guitars. LTD make a decent LP copy that is deff worth checking out.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Celestus
I've been considering the ESP LTD EC-330 one, how does it fare against similar price Epis? ESP is largely known for metal-styled guitars, that's why I feel safer picking one of theirs. (yes, I know they're not the only ones)

Believe it or not, my EC330FM is my go-to guitar for cleans. It can handle gain pretty well too. I compared it to an Epi Plus Top Pro and the only difference seemed to be the thinner bolt on neck, more frets and thinner body on the LTD, the sounds were pretty similar clean. If you try an Epi and like it, but you'd rather a thinner neck and lighter guitar, the EC330's for you.
Quote by Celestus

Honestly, and please understand that I have three Agiles and love them to death, I think the shipping to Europe on an inexpensive guitar may lose some of the advantage they offer. It's just such a high percentage of the cost of acquiring the guitar. If it were a $5K guitar, I wouldn't bat an eye.

OTOH, I'm the guy who had a $200 B Stock PLEK'd and had its frets superglued (FWIW, that bill was more than the guitar was worth). And it was worth it.
Quote by dspellman
Honestly, and please understand that I have three Agiles and love them to death, I think the shipping to Europe on an inexpensive guitar may lose some of the advantage they offer. It's just such a high percentage of the cost of acquiring the guitar. If it were a $5K guitar, I wouldn't bat an eye.

OTOH, I'm the guy who had a $200 B Stock PLEK'd and had its frets superglued (FWIW, that bill was more than the guitar was worth). And it was worth it.

+311

I also spent a whole weekend dressing the frets of my Agile 3000 when I first got it.
I love rondo too. But considering the shipping cost for you I'd just find a decent epi. Try before you buy if possible.
If you do an Agile gor for at least a 3010 series, I have played a AL-2000 and they are good guitars but the 3xxx series are better.
you can get a great solid guitar that looks a lot like a LP, its a Michael Kelly Patriot. Go on ebay or look around, but you will be hard pressed to find a better guitar for the price. they are solid guitars and you can split the coils on the pick ups to get that sound you would want. I have one and would not trade it for any LP. my next choice would be an Epi, but the MK is the best for the euro!
Quote by iamcline
Agiles are solid, but the right Epiphone will trump it.

And be at least twice the price.

Three basic Agiles:
The AL2000 was the bottom of the line (now the 1900 series) with a mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, plastic (like an original Gibson standard) inlays, single layer binding on the body and fretboard, ceramic pickups, 14" radius, jumbo frets. About $225 for the AL-2000

The AL-3000 series (and these varied) is around $400, with mahogany body and neck, multi-layer binding on body and headstock, ebony fretboard, real MOP or abalone inlays, AlnicoV pickups, Tusq nut, Graphtech NVS2 bridge with String Saver saddles. Pretty much a Gibson Custom spec. Many have a full 3/4" solid maple cap, coil taps, etc. -- look for the MCC variants.

The AL3200 series is a neck-through version of the AL-3000, with the added attraction of a Gibson Axcess-style carved neck heel (much better upper fret access) and a tummy cut. About $500.

There's no Gibson or Epiphone that compares to the AL-3200.
Please don't post in old threads. Post a new one if you've got something to talk about!