I spilled a little bit of Tequila on my Gibson J-45. I wiped it off quick with a cloth, but could it do any damage to the wood?

I know..very dumb and careless lol
I would clean the area as well to get rid of any sticky residue, but you should be save.

The liquor shouldnt be able to penetrate the clear coart.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
How long did you leave the alcomohol on there?
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Drink responsibly!!
Dont spill!
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
i have spilled much worse on my guitars with no ill effects worth noting.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by ktullu98
I spilled a little bit of Tequila on my Gibson J-45. I wiped it off quick with a cloth, but could it do any damage to the wood?
It has the potential to be, as the nitrocellulose Gibson uses is alcohol soluble. I'd make sure to seriously clean the area and make sure no alcohol remains as it could bubble or distort the finish.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by ktullu98

I know..very dumb and careless lol

I'm not sure. Why don't you crack open that bottle again, have a few shots, & then turn the wet shot glass over, & set it on the front of the guitar overnight. Check it in the morning, & if it's f#@ked up, you answered your own question

Seriously, though....as Flux'd stated above, nitrocellulose finishes are very susceptible to damage from just about anything containing aromatic hydrocarbon compounds (gasoline, alcohol, acetone, many automotive cleaners, etc). Spilling a bit of tequila & wiping it off immediately will likely be no problem. To restore any minor damage or discoloration if it should occur, I recommend a special car polish called "Klasse". It's a cleaner/polish/protectant from Germany that's been around for decades. Use it with a microfiber cloth, & it will make any guitar sparkle like never before. I used to make guitar bodies & refinish guitars, & I KNOW this stuff works magic.
BTW-20 yrs ago, I lost my beloved '79 Les Paul gold top by placing a rag behind the neck when I laid it against a work table. Turned out the rag had some type of solvent residue in it, & it MELTED into the neck's finish so badly that I couldn't repair it properly without spending a fortune. Learn from that
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Aug 9, 2013,
acetone isn't aromatic EDIT: just to clarify what I mean here, I'm not saying acetone won't damage nitro, it will, it dissolves it and is one of the classic tests for whether or not you have a nitro finish. I'm just saying that you shouldn't limit your list of "substances which might interact badly with nitro" to aromatic compounds

but yeah I agree, the thing is to assume anything (not just aromatic, I'm guessing acids etc. will affect it too, and they're not necessarily aromatic... nor is alcohol/ethanol nor acetone etc. ) will harm nitro unless proven otherwise, pretty much.

Good info on that polish, I'll keep that in mind That sucks about the Les Paul
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 10, 2013,