Hey guys,

I've had my Telecaster for about 2 years now.

I love it - it's an awesome player and seems to fit my groove well (if that makes sense...).

Problem is though, the maple neck has a gloss that is about 4mm thick on the fretboard (it's like they dip the necks before fretting!).

I played a 7x tele the other day with a nice grainy maple neck and I want that with my tele. It just felt 100x better (not to mention the baseball bat neck but I can't really change that on mine!).

Any advice on getting rid of this gloss? I don't want to damage this guitar because I want to keep it for a while, but I just hate feeling like there's a sheet of plastic under my fingers.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Last edited by N_J_B_B at Aug 10, 2013,
i have an ltd that had the neck panted and had the same problem as your tele, what i did was sand the back of the neck with fine grit sand paper a bit so it will loose it's gloss.

it worked for me, the only con is that you will losse the gloss. but you can bring it back with polish
Sanding is the safest way I would think. Tape off the frets so you don't mess them up. I would try a really low grit at first. If it's really thick you will need to use multiple grits to remove any scratches, the higher (coarser) grit paper caused. Just don't rush it.

You could also try scraping it with a razor blade to get a good bit of it gone and then finish sand it. Probably the quickest way. Again, be careful not to dig in too much.

All just my opinion on how I would go about it. I take no responsibility if you mess it up....just sayin.
Last edited by D_M_I at Aug 10, 2013,
So say I do get most of the gloss off, will the care for the fretboard change? OR is a wipe down after every play still okay?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.