So I have about 4 leads and they've all broken over the years so I need to invest in some more, but I can't help but be surprised at how expensive some of them are. $70 for a lead? No thanks.

But I'm starting to think it might be for a reason, is there major tone less getting a $15 Ashton or Fender lead instead of a high-priced DiMarzio one?

I really don't want to spend more than $20-25 or so for one lead, I need to get a few.
Last edited by Alphaform at Aug 9, 2013,
You're paying for better insulation. So a braided DiMarzio lead will be much sturdier and use much better quality switchcraft jacks. The new Fender custom shop leads are pretty nice.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
You pay for quality, to a certain extent.

Live Wires have been good to me, use them almost daily and they get thrown around and stepped on, I've only had 1 or 2 fail on me (I own somewhere between 10 and 15). I've had some of the same ones for 5-8 years now. They have Lifetime warranty too, so if they do break just taken em to GC and swap them out.

There is definitely a steep curve with cable quality. Pretty much <$20 is complete shit, then it plateaus until around $50, then it starts going up again, in my experience. I plan to try out some Lavas in the future, I have heard that they are good cables.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I live in Australia so these are my options, I'll give you some sites. Everything here is overpriced with limited options, so if you can find me anything at a good price even if its a guitar store on ebay that would be great!

http://www.allansbillyhyde.com.au/prodcat/Guitars/Guitar_Accessories/Leads_and_Cables.aspx

http://www.musoscorner.com.au/site/index.cfm?module=STORETIGERV2&bit=products&adv_category_code=3225&cart_id=FE0A1910-5056-B63B-841E8CCB0A5B11EB
Don't buy shit like that from Australian shops, man. Seriously, just don't. You are paying for over-inflated commercial property values. Ebay and Amazon are where you should be. Get something with a lifetime warranty. The only time you should be walking into a shop for a cable is when/if it comes time to replace it under warranty
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You could also build your own cables for MUCH cheaper. Mogami W2524 is about $0.84 a foot, and Amphenol connectors are around 2 bucks a piece. A 15 foot cable would cost you around 16 bucks before shipping.

All it takes is stripping the cable and soldering two points on each connector.
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - Stock Eminence Legend
Peavey Ultra Plus 120 Watt Head
Rivera R412T - Loaded with Celestion V30s
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
Quote by emerald876
You could also build your own cables for MUCH cheaper. Mogami W2524 is about $0.84 a foot, and Amphenol connectors are around 2 bucks a piece. A 15 foot cable would cost you around 16 bucks before shipping.

All it takes is stripping the cable and soldering two points on each connector.

that is certainly the cheapest and best way to go.

To some degree the cables are as good as your solder.

One of these days when I have the time to figure it out order a hundred and fifty feet. But it's not the top of my priority list.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Offworld92
You pay for quality, to a certain extent.

Live Wires have been good to me, use them almost daily and they get thrown around and stepped on, I've only had 1 or 2 fail on me (I own somewhere between 10 and 15). I've had some of the same ones for 5-8 years now. They have Lifetime warranty too, so if they do break just taken em to GC and swap them out.

There is definitely a steep curve with cable quality. Pretty much <$20 is complete shit, then it plateaus until around $50, then it starts going up again, in my experience. I plan to try out some Lavas in the future, I have heard that they are good cables.

1+

I've found that if you spend a few extra dollars on a decent cable they're sturdier and tangle less or untangle easier. You also get better shielding and better jacks. I've owned the same green 6m one for years and years. I can't say what brand it is, though, as the printing has rubbed off. It was in at the $AUD30-40 mark though.

As for tone, there is a difference, as minute as it may be. Can I hear it though? No. Some people have told me they can. I've heard some really cheap and nasty ones buzz, but I can't hear a difference between the really expensive ones at around this price point and my $40 one.
I found some Fender Custom Shop cables at $23 each 18ft from the USA on ebay. With postage it's like $34. Worth getting a few of these ones?